Page 1 of 2 1 2
#196263 04/30/03 07:16 PM
A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
I got this forward from Carol today, and loved it so much, I had to post it. I know there are a number of '80s kids out here. One of the first times I bonded with people on IRC, it was because we were talking about Glo Worms and wound up discussing all our favorite '80s toys and TV shows for hours. So I thought some others out here might appreciate this list.

YOU ARE A CHILD OF THE 80'S IF:

You know what a "burnout" is.

You owned/operated a 'Trapper Keeper'

You know what "Psych" means.

Once, while spending hours in the arcade, you actually lined up quarters on the top panel of the game-to "reserve" your spot.

You know the profound meaning of "Wax on, Wax off".

You know that another name for a keyboard is a
"Synthesizer".

You can name at least half of the members of the elite "Brat Pack".

You know who Tina Yothers is.

You wanted to be a Goonie.

You felt ashamed when Rob Lowe got in trouble for having sex with minors and videotaping it, because you liked him.

You had top-of-the-line Commodore 64s in your jr. high computer lab.

You know who Max Headroom is.

You ever wore fluorescent, neon if you will, clothing.

You could breakdance, or wished you did.

You wanted to be The Hulk for Halloween.

You Believed that "By the power of Greyskull, you HAD the power!"

Partying "like it's 1999" seemed SO far away.

You thought that Transformers were more than meets the eye.

You can, right now, hum to yourself the theme to
'Inspector Gadget'.

You wanted to be on Star Search.

You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off.

You wore a banana clip at some point during your youth, or knew someone who did.

You owned a doll with 'Xavier Roberts' signed on its butt, or knew someone who did.

You knew what Willis was "talkin' 'bout".

You HAD to have your MTV

You remember when Kramer was on a show called 'Friday's'

You hold a special place in your heart for "Back to the Future".

You know where to go if you "wanna go where everybody knows your name".

You thought Molly Ringwald was REALLY cool.

You actually thought "Dirty Dancing" was a REALLY good movie.

You heard of Garbage Pail Kids.

You knew "The Artist" when he was humbly called "Prince".

You actually saw Ted Danson as the MacDaddy he played "Sam" to be.

You remember when ATARI was a state of the art video game system.

You own(ed) any 'cassette singles'.

You were led to believe that in the year 2000 we'd all be living on the moon.

You remember And/or own any of the Care Bear Glass
collection from Pizza Hut. Or any other collections they came out with.

Poltergeist freaked you out.

You carried you lunch to school in a Gremlins or an ET lunchbox.

You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the ONLY female smurf.

You wore bike shorts underneath a short skirt and felt stylish, or knew someone who did.

You ever had a Swatch Watch.

You remember when Saturday Night Live was funny.

You had WonderWoman or Superman underoos.

You know what a "Whammee" is.

You ever equated your coolness with the amount of snap bracelets in your collection.

You ever wanted to change your name to "Debbie" or
"Tiffany".

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#196264 04/30/03 07:31 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Banana clips!! <g>

The ironic thing is that this child of the '80's actually recognises very few of these. goofy We need a UK version.

Anyone remember those awful uni-sex jackets with the fur-lined hoods? <shudder> We all went around for two years without ever seeing anyone's faces. Friends would approach you in the street and until they spoke you'd have no idea who they were. laugh Can't even remember what they were called now.

Won't even get into deelyboppers. laugh I mean how embarrassing was that? A whole nation gone loopy all at once. I sometimes wonder what aliens would have thought that year if they'd landed. Eeesh.

LabRat smile (who loves all those nostalgia programmes on TV, like the 'I Love The...' series.)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#196265 04/30/03 07:41 PM
A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
The ironic thing is that this child of the '80's actually recognises very few of these. We need a UK version.
You know, I was actually thinking about this as I was posting. I was wondering how many of these awful trends made it across the ocean.

Not that they were all were awful. All the fashion was laughable (though I admit to all of it). I still love Cabbage Patch Kids though, and my lunch box wasn't ET, it was New Kids on the Block. <G>

And Care Bears will always hold a special place in my heart. I was a pretty sick kid and was in and out of the hospital a lot until I was 5 or 6. I had a tumor removed from my nose when I was five, and it was a pretty scary experience. My doctors (including my aptly named anesthesiologist, Dr. Sandman) were wonderful. They let me hold my care bear until I was out, and when I awoke, he was wearing a matching bandage on his nose.

And I too love nostagia and am addicted to the "I Love the" series. I want to buy the '80s when it comes out on DVD. It cracks me up.

Annie

#196266 04/30/03 07:55 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
ooo. fun. i saw one of these a while ago, but this list is slightly different. so, let's see...

-You know what a "burnout" is.

a story by labrat?

-You owned/operated a 'Trapper Keeper'

yep. still have one around somewhere, too.

-You know what "Psych" means.

sorry, no idea. psych!

-Once, while spending hours in the arcade, you actually lined up quarters on the top panel of the game-to "reserve" your spot.

actually, no.

-You know the profound meaning of "Wax on, Wax off".

ah, yes, used to use that for when people kept having to dial back into a chat room... "daniel-san: log on, log off. log on, log off..."

-You know that another name for a keyboard is a
"Synthesizer".

<G>

-You can name at least half of the members of the elite "Brat Pack".

er... huh?

-You know who Tina Yothers is.

no idea.

-You wanted to be a Goonie.

oh yeah!! that's a definite. i wanted to be the kid with the slick shoes.

-You felt ashamed when Rob Lowe got in trouble for having sex with minors and videotaping it, because you liked him.

he did? really? i recognize the name, but nothing comes up...

-You had top-of-the-line Commodore 64s in your jr. high computer lab.

lol, not quite. we did get some pretty spiffy apple IIs, eventually.

-You know who Max Headroom is.

y- y- y- y- y- y- you betcha.

-You ever wore fluorescent, neon if you will, clothing.

uhm, nope.

-You could breakdance, or wished you did.

maybe, in my less nerdy moments.

-You wanted to be The Hulk for Halloween.

no, not really. i was a ninja one year, when i was too lazy to do anything else and had gotten tired of the old ghost routine. another year, i got a mosterous mask and rigged it so that the eyes glowed red.

-You Believed that "By the power of Greyskull, you HAD the power!"

yep. smile actually, MIT has this student cable channel that's controlled by internet... you go on to their site, pick the show you want to see (out of about 5 choices), and it'll put it in the line-up for you. when it's waiting for someone to click, there's this add that goes by about it, which sometimes says "... and YOU have the power!" well, one day, i was sitting on the couch with some friends, just playing around. i grabbed the remote, and held it up, saying "I HAVE THE POWER!" then turned the TV on... it happened to come on to exactly that screen on exactly that channel at exactly the right time. it was cool. smile

-Partying "like it's 1999" seemed SO far away.

you know, i never heard that song until '99. consequences of being a nerdy hermit...

-You thought that Transformers were more than meets the eye.

what do you mean "thought"? beast wars was a really cool series, and there are some new transformers comics out this year...

-You can, right now, hum to yourself the theme to
'Inspector Gadget'.

nope, sorry. can't hum that. have to go "do doo doo doo doo, bum bum. doo doo doo doo doo DOO DOOO..."

-You wanted to be on Star Search.

was going to say no, but i did kind of dream about doing a stand-up act there someday.

never wanted to be on the gong show, though.

-You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off.

lol! yeah, actually, i can... you know, someone on another board has a link to a site called "the history of michael jackson's face" in his sig. never dared click on it, but love to see that pop up. <g>

-You wore a banana clip at some point during your youth, or knew someone who did.

that's what sisters are for.

-You owned a doll with 'Xavier Roberts' signed on its butt, or knew someone who did.

who? what?

-You knew what Willis was "talkin' 'bout".

a-yep. he actually graduated from my high school....

-You HAD to have your MTV

no, but i always felt like i should.

-You remember when Kramer was on a show called 'Friday's'

nope.

-You hold a special place in your heart for "Back to the Future".

definitely! even if the long-awaited sequels turned out to be the same movie again. i still enjoyed them, too, tho...

-You know where to go if you "wanna go where everybody knows your name".

yeah, irc! ... well, actually, i've mentioned this elsewhere, but my first chatroom was named "cheers."

-You thought Molly Ringwald was REALLY cool.

NO! not for a microsecond. never knew what people saw in her or those movies.

-You actually thought "Dirty Dancing" was a REALLY good movie.

nope. but my mom does.

-You heard of Garbage Pail Kids.

off the wall paul!!! so disappointed when they lost that court case... i mean, the others were absolutely disgusting, but i loved that one name.

-You knew "The Artist" when he was humbly called "Prince".

i'd heard of him... didn't really get into his music until the early 90s, and even then not much.

-You actually saw Ted Danson as the MacDaddy he played "Sam" to be.

hmm. never thought much about ted danson IRL.

-You remember when ATARI was a state of the art video game system.

now this one brings back memories... dad brought it home one day. we all gathered round the TV. he demonstrated. you could MOVE SOMETHING ON THE TV BY PRESSING SOME BUTTONS!!! absolutely mindblowingly cool...

oh, and my sister got (by request) one of those adding machines that does slightly less than my calculator watch and printed out every line for her birthday one year. it was a treasured possession, and clearly very cool. i used to sneak into her room just to look at it (but never press the buttons without permission).

-You own(ed) any 'cassette singles'.

nope.

-You were led to believe that in the year 2000 we'd all be living on the moon.

not really.

-You remember And/or own any of the Care Bear Glass

i remember the care bears. we didn't go to pizza hut much.

-Poltergeist freaked you out.

nope. learned very early to never watch horror movies. i've got too wild an imagination, and i don't like being scared.

-You carried you lunch to school in a Gremlins or an ET lunchbox.

the latter, perhaps. don't recall, actually. might have been matchbox or MASK or something.

-You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the ONLY female smurf.

nope. i saw the ep where she was made by gargamel. season 3, i think.

-You wore bike shorts underneath a short skirt and felt stylish, or knew someone who did.

uhm, no.

-You ever had a Swatch Watch.

sister did. my first regularly worn watch was a casio databank calculator watch. i've stuck with 'em ever since. can't wrap my mind around analog watches/clocks with any reasonable speed.

-You remember when Saturday Night Live was funny.

ackroyd, belushi... even chevy chase. of course, back then, i wasn't allowed to stay up that late. i found about about all that coolness on reruns.

-You had WonderWoman or Superman underoos.

no. i had "the thing" (big rock guy from the fantastic four). this turned out to be a problem. i was young enough at the time to see that the thing was clearly only wearing underwear and to realize that if that's what superheroes did, then that's what i wanted to do.... somehow, my parents failed to make the connection between that underwear and the difficulty they had getting me dressed until i pointed it out years later.

-You know what a "Whammee" is.

yes! and it's back, on game show network... reruns and a crappy remake. "nowhammynowhammynowhammy... and STOP!" - very handy phrase, every once in a while.

-You ever equated your coolness with the amount of snap bracelets in your collection.

uhm, no.

-You ever wanted to change your name to "Debbie" or
"Tiffany".

i'll just reassure everyone on this... no. laugh

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#196267 04/30/03 08:03 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
rotflol All right, I'm an 80's kid. Too many of them apply on me. A few of them I've never heard of and as we speak it's being explained to me. And I only find out how worse I really am.

And yes, a UK/Dutch/Europe version of this wouldn't hurt. I may be able to think of some, after having watched the "I love the..." too often.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#196268 04/30/03 08:14 PM
Columnist
Columnist
ROTFL!!!!!!!!! Annie, you may have gotten this from Carol, but she got it from me. *G* And I got it from a friend of mine who probably had no idea that it would end up on a message board for fanfic about a show that was cancelled 6 years ago. laugh

I absolutely love these, and I can admit to most of them, but my favorite one is:
*sigh* Don't I, though? I just love this movie. I love Michael J. Fox and Chris Lloyd and Lea Thompson and Tom Wilson and...

That gives me an idea... I'm off to start another thread. cool

~Anna (who wants to make sure to mention that she loves BTTF. Did I already mention that?)

#196269 04/30/03 11:44 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOL, Annie, fun topic!

>>You hold a special place in your heart for "Back to the Future".

Of course! Loved that movie...

>>You thought Molly Ringwald was REALLY cool.

Well, not exactly, but I had no idea why some people hated her; does that count? <g>

>>You actually thought "Dirty Dancing" was a REALLY good movie.

Hey, it was! goofy

>>You own(ed) any 'cassette singles'.

ROFL! Yep, have to admit to this one. I can even remember some of the songs I had...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#196270 05/01/03 03:08 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
LOL! This is really funny. Since I Was born in 1980, I guess that makes me a child of the 80's wink . Grr, I hate admitting it. I actually still have a couple of my Cabbage Patch Dolls and Care Bears up in the attic. I even still have a couple of "Cassette Singles" in that same box of childhood stuff my parents didn't want to throw away. Heck, my sister (who is 2 yrs younger than I am) still listens to her cassette singles in her car.

- Alicia smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#196271 05/01/03 04:28 AM
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Cabbage Patch Kids!!!!!!! laugh I love those dolls. I still have mine in the basement somewhere. I'm keeping them for my kids. wink

Another one I saw said you can sing the entire theme song to Fresh Prince of Bel-Air -- I could, but of course, I learned it by heart my freshman year of college. Gotta love re-runs. smile

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
#196272 05/01/03 04:36 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
LOL! I still know the "Fresh Prince" theme song. My little sister loves Will Smith, so she sings it all the time.

Let me see if I remember it...

Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down. I'd like to take a minute just sit right there, I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel Air.

In West PHilladelphia born and raised, on a playground is where I spent most of my days. Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool and shootin' some b'ball outside of hte school. When a couple of guys, they were up to no good, started makin' trouble in my neighborhood.

I got in one little fight and my moms got scared. She said you're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air.

I whistled for a cab and when it came there the liscence plate said "FRESH" and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was weird, but I thought man forget it, now home to Bel Air.

I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabbie, "Yo holmes, smell ya later" Looked at my kingdom, I was finally there to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel Air.

Ack, I do remember it, or most of it. I'm sure some of the words were wrong, but I am a little scared all of that just came out of me as soon as I saw the words "Fresh Prince"! blush
- Alicia

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#196273 05/01/03 04:48 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm a child of the 80's ('82) but like LabRat I don't recognise most of these! Some because they never made it over here and some bacause I was rather a 'nerdy' child, missed most of the popular stuff.

<<<You know the profound meaning of "Wax on, Wax off".

Recognised it, but didn't remember where from until Paul reminded me!

<<<You Believed that "By the power of Greyskull, you HAD the power!"

Definately! I loved that show! laugh

<<<You thought that Transformers were more than meets the eye.

Remember

<<<You can, right now, hum to yourself the theme to 'Inspector Gadget'.

I don't even have to think about it! laugh

<<<You know where to go if you "wanna go where everybody knows your name".

Recognise the reference, but never watched it.

<<<You actually thought "Dirty Dancing" was a REALLY good movie.

Yep, and I actually still like. /me gets ready to hide/

<<<You remember And/or own any of the Care Bear Glass collection from Pizza Hut. Or any other collections they came out with.

Not from PH, but I do have my own stuffed Care Bear that actually still sits on my bed. blush

I have actually seen a UK version (or one with more stuff I recognised) but I don't think I still have it. frown

Loriel, Child of the 80's

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#196274 05/01/03 07:20 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Yes I did get this from Anna yesterday *g*. Sent it to most of the people in my address book [not something I do often *g*].

Well, BttF has been covered in another thread.

Don't have any Care Bears [though the thought has occurred to me - Walmart carries remakes now!] and Maggie and I watched both movies not too long ago - in fact, I meant to have an indepth discussion about the inconsistencies from 1 to 2 with Kaylle and never got around to it.

Had a Smurfs lunch box.

/me hasn't been able to get Inspector Gadget out of her head and actually 'sang' Fresh Prince a couple weeks ago *g*

I still have some clippies that resemble banana clips.

I had a fake cabbage patch doll though my husband will [under duress, mind you] admit to owning several. I do still have the fake cabbage patch as well as a cabbage patch pony.

I remember being jealous of friends who had Ataris. We did have an Atari 520ST computer later LATE 80s/early 90s iirc - that today is supposedly worth quite a bit of money - too bad I threw it in the trash when it stopped working when I was in college. Still can't beat my hubby at most video games - with MarioKart battle mode being the occassional exception [and then only on N64] - no practice growing up is a big disadvantage you see.

CM [who really was going to post to give anna credit honest *g*]

#196275 05/01/03 08:24 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A

~Well, I graduated high school in 1985, so...

You know what a "burnout" is.

~Definitely!

You owned/operated a 'Trapper Keeper'

~Probably more than one.

You know what "Psych" means.

~Yep!

Once, while spending hours in the arcade, you actually lined up quarters on the top panel of the game-to "reserve" your spot.

~I didn't play many archade games, but I remember watching while my hubby (then friend) and yes, he did reserve next game.

You know the profound meaning of "Wax on, Wax off".

~We love that movie. In fact, my hubby chose a song from the second movie as our wedding song.

You know that another name for a keyboard is a
"Synthesizer".

~I had one of those little two octive Casios in college.

You can name at least half of the members of the elite "Brat Pack".

~Didn't that include those kids from "The Breakfast Club"?

You know who Tina Yothers is.

~Zara's little sister. I still watch "Family Ties" whenever I see it on "Nick @ Night".

You wanted to be a Goonie.

~Nope. I still haven't seen that one, even tho' I know the reference.

You felt ashamed when Rob Lowe got in trouble for having sex with minors and videotaping it, because you liked him.

~Yes, I do remember that particular scandal. He seems to have gotten past it tho'.

You had top-of-the-line Commodore 64s in your jr. high computer lab.

~I never took a computer course in high school. I think it was a new class in my senior year, but I was too busy taking other things, like Drama, Chorus and Creative Writing.

You know who Max Headroom is.

~ Loved that show!!!

You ever wore fluorescent, neon if you will, clothing.

~Yes, I can finally admit I wore neon. I still have a bright orange sweatshirt that always got the same comment..."Does that thing have volumne control?"

You could breakdance, or wished you did.

~Not really.

You wanted to be The Hulk for Halloween.

~Nope. But I loved watching Bill Bixby. Did you ever notice that he always changed twice, no more no less, per episode.

You Believed that "By the power of Greyskull, you HAD the power!"

~How about "ThunderCats Ho!"

Partying "like it's 1999" seemed SO far away.

~When we graduated, I still remember my best friend making a comment about how far away 2000 was.

You thought that Transformers were more than meets the eye.

~I never really got into that one too much.

You can, right now, hum to yourself the theme to
'Inspector Gadget'.

~Nope.

You wanted to be on Star Search.

~Yep! We watched it as a family every week.

You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off.

~Definitely!

You wore a banana clip at some point during your youth, or knew someone who did.

~Often. I think I still have one. (I never throw anything away!)

You owned a doll with 'Xavier Roberts' signed on its butt, or knew someone who did.

~I don't get it.

You knew what Willis was "talkin' 'bout".

~Yep!

You HAD to have your MTV

~We didn't at home, but did at my grandfather's house.

You remember when Kramer was on a show called 'Friday's'

~YES! I LOVED that show and no one else that I work with have any idea what I'm talking about. I especially loved that character he played that was a kid who would destroy his army men with a lighter.

~Yeah, I enjoyed all three movies, but "Indiana Jones" was better!

You know where to go if you "wanna go where everybody knows your name".

~I remember taping that song onto cassette long before someone else made "TV Toons".

You thought Molly Ringwald was REALLY cool.

~I didn't see most of her movies until later.

You actually thought "Dirty Dancing" was a REALLY good movie.

~Yes! I even remember my dad telling me how he was arrested for dirty dancing at a Jerry Lee Lewis concert.

You heard of Garbage Pail Kids.

~Yeah, but I never really wanted one.

You knew "The Artist" when he was humbly called "Prince".

~Some friends of mine went to see him when he played at the Orange Bowl in Miami (it was renamed the Purple Bowl for the concert) and one girl got separated from the others and ended up lost amongst a bunch of tents and actually ran into Prince as he was coming out of one. She asked for his autograph but didn't have any paper so she had him sign her arm. She refused to wash it until our other friend took a picture of it in school two days later...

You actually saw Ted Danson as the MacDaddy he played "Sam" to be.

~Not really.

You remember when ATARI was a state of the art video game system.

~I used to babysit for a family that had one and I couldn't wait until the kid went to sleep.

You own(ed) any 'cassette singles'.

~Still do. Just one.

You were led to believe that in the year 2000 we'd all be living on the moon.

~No, but I thought we'd have flying cars by now.

You remember And/or own any of the Care Bear Glass

~No, but we had the McDonaldland characters on glasses.

Poltergeist freaked you out.

~YES!

You carried you lunch to school in a Gremlins or an ET lunchbox.

~I think I had a "Bewitched" one but that was back in grammer school.

You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the ONLY female smurf.

~I saw her origins episode, too.

You wore bike shorts underneath a short skirt and felt stylish, or knew someone who did.

~No, I never did that, but I did wear a tank top under a big sweatshirt that fell off one shoulder.

You ever had a Swatch Watch.

~Nope.

You remember when Saturday Night Live was funny.

~DEfinitely.

You had WonderWoman or Superman underoos.

~No. But I still collect Wonder Woman comic books.

You know what a "Whammee" is.

~Yes.

You ever equated your coolness with the amount of snap bracelets in your collection.

~I never had those.

You ever wanted to change your name to "Debbie" or
"Tiffany".

~No, but I did want to change my name to Samantha for some reason.

blush

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#196276 05/01/03 09:27 AM
A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
Okay, because everyone is having so much fun with this nostalgia, I've decided to give you all a present. I don't know how many of you listen to country music, but there's a terrific song out right now that's all about 70s and 80s nostalgia. It's sung by Mark Wills and I absolutely adore it.

There are two choruses. The first is:

It was nineteen seventy somethin'
And the world that I grew up in
Farrah Fawcett hairdo days
Bell bottoms and eight track tapes
Lookin' back now I can see me
Oh man, did I look cheesy
But I wouldn't trade those days for nothin'
Oh it was nineteen seventy-somethin'

And the second is:

It was nineteen eighty-somethin'
And the world that I grew up in
Skatin' rinks and black Trans-Ams
Big hair and parachute pants
And lookin' back now I can see me
Oh man, did I look cheesy
I wouldn't trade those days for nothin'
Oh it was nineteen eighty-somethin'.

Each verse is just more and more nostalgia. And seeing how we're obviously reveling in that right now, I thought I'd put the mp3 up on my web site for anyone who wants to check out the song. You can download it here: 19 Something

Let me know what you think. smile

Annie

#196277 05/01/03 10:19 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
---You know what a "burnout" is.
Whoops. No

---You owned/operated a 'Trapper Keeper'
A few of them, actually.

---You know what "Psych" means.
But of course!

---Once, while spending hours in the arcade, you actually lined up quarters on the top panel of the game-to "reserve" your spot.
Nope. Didn't go into arcades much. The one that I had access to around 88-92, my dad forbid me to go into becuase the gangs hung out there. But we did go down to the local convenience store and play games there.

---You know the profound meaning of "Wax on, Wax off".
Oddly enough, didn't really get into the movie. But I still like doing the crane stand, if only to practice my balance.

---You know that another name for a keyboard is a
"Synthesizer".
Always wanted one when I was a kid. Probably because I didn't have a real piano. Now I have the keyboard.

---You can name at least half of the members of the elite "Brat Pack".
Only because they keep playing The Breakfast Club on TNT

---You know who Tina Yothers is.
I used to love Family Ties. laugh

---You wanted to be a Goonie.
No, but the guys were kinda cute. And it's fun to go "Chuuuuunk!"

---You felt ashamed when Rob Lowe got in trouble for having sex with minors and videotaping it, because you liked him.
Nah. Saw too many movies where he was a jerk.

---You had top-of-the-line Commodore 64s in your jr. high computer lab.
No commodore 64's. We had Apple ][e's in ours.

---You know who Max Headroom is.
The guy in the pepsi commercials!!

---You ever wore fluorescent, neon if you will, clothing.
Don't think I did. But then, I didn't have much say over my own clothing.

----You could breakdance, or wished you did.
I think I tried a few times, but it was really hard to spin on your back on concrete..

---You wanted to be The Hulk for Halloween.
Nope, can't say I did. But I was Miss Piggy the Cheerleader in kindergarten.

---You Believed that "By the power of Greyskull, you HAD the power!"
I wanted to be more like She-Ra, actually...

---Partying "like it's 1999" seemed SO far away.
Yep. But then, so did age 20

---You thought that Transformers were more than meets the eye.
Didn't get much into Transformers. But my brother loved MASK. laugh

---You can, right now, hum to yourself the theme to
'Inspector Gadget'.
GAH! Get it out, get it out!!!

---You wanted to be on Star Search.
Nope. Didn't watch it much. But I loved Puttin On The Hits (another talent-type show where they sang hit songs. They had some great acts)

---You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off.
And I actually liked him back then. Geez, I was naive.

---You wore a banana clip at some point during your youth, or knew someone who did.
I was never able to get them to stay in my hair, but my friends did.

---You owned a doll with 'Xavier Roberts' signed on its butt, or knew someone who did.
And learned that if you put one in the sun for a few hours to get a suntan while you swim, the suntan does NOT go away. I wonder where mine are...

---You knew what Willis was "talkin' 'bout".
Can't say I did. Sorry

---You HAD to have your MTV
Back when MTV was cool, and Remote Control was a great game show

---You remember when Kramer was on a show called 'Friday's'
Never even heard of Fridays.

---You hold a special place in your heart for "Back to the Future".
Always laugh

---You know where to go if you "wanna go where everybody knows your name".
I cried when the show went off the air. I have the sheet music for the song now.

---You thought Molly Ringwald was REALLY cool.
Nope. But then, i was kinda young.

---You actually thought "Dirty Dancing" was a REALLY good movie.
Still kinda young.

---You heard of Garbage Pail Kids.
And had quite a few of the cards. BTW, when you stick them on something, they don't come off.

---You knew "The Artist" when he was humbly called "Prince".
But didn't pay much attention to him.

---You actually saw Ted Danson as the MacDaddy he played "Sam" to be.
I still think he was a better match with Diane than Rebecca

---You remember when ATARI was a state of the art video game system.
The ATARI was cool.. until Dad got the TI99 4/A which came with "Merry Christmas Karen and Jim!" when we turned it on the first time.

---You own(ed) any 'cassette singles'.
Gah. I hated those. Not enough songs on them. Why in the world would you want to get a *single*???

---You were led to believe that in the year 2000 we'd all be living on the moon.
Nope. But I figured I'd be in space by now. wink

---You remember And/or own any of the Care Bear Glass
No, I don't think I got any of the glasses. But I loved the Pizza Hut Book It! program. You had to read a book every month to get a personal pan pizza. I got my pizza every month. laugh

---Poltergeist freaked you out.
That and the Thriller video, for some odd reason.

---You carried you lunch to school in a Gremlins or an ET lunchbox.
I can't honestly remember what I had on my lunchbox now.

---You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the ONLY female smurf.
I actually pondered that when I got older... dang internet. LOL

---You wore bike shorts underneath a short skirt and felt stylish, or knew someone who did.
Nope. I wasn't a stylish kid. It cost too much.

---You ever had a Swatch Watch.
Those things were great! You can change the color of the watch depending on your day and mood.

---You remember when Saturday Night Live was funny.
Yeah, like my parents would let me stay up that late..

---You had WonderWoman or Superman underoos.
Yes, I did. I had the shirt/underwear set. I'd lie in my dark bedroom lifting the shirt and putting it back down because it would crackle with static electricity, and I could *see* the blue sparks. laugh

---You know what a "Whammee" is.
Whammies were great. You never knew what they were going to do next.

---You ever equated your coolness with the amount of snap bracelets in your collection.
Nope. Still too broke. And I was never cool. *sigh*

---You ever wanted to change your name to "Debbie" or
"Tiffany".
No, but I was always looking for something better than "Karen"

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#196278 05/01/03 11:11 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
-You thought Molly Ringwald was REALLY cool.

NO! not for a microsecond. never knew what people saw in her or those movies.
"those movies"? I haven't seen many of Molly Ringwald, but I absolutely *LOVE* "The Breakfast Club"!!! smile1

Such a little thing really, a kiss...most people don't give it a moment's consideration. They kiss on meeting, they kiss on parting, that simple touching of flesh is taken entirely for granted as a basic human right.

Susan Kay
#196279 05/01/03 11:46 AM
M
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
M
I was born in 1983. Does that make me a child of the 80s too? The thing is, I have absoutely *no* idea what everything that was on the list was. Sigh.

We have a Singapore version of this too. You guys interested in looking at it? For a "compare and contrast"?

twins
metwin1

#196280 05/01/03 01:48 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
yes. "those movies." 16 candles, liscense to drive, breakfast club (not sure if i'd have thought of that one if you hadn't said)... i'm sure there are plenty more you could find at IMDB. no idea why, tho.

odd that i can aparantly name more of those... things than you can. :p

maybe the reason i don't like them is that i was never a teenage girl. wink

even as a teenage guy, i think i kind of missed that phase.

anyway, i was born in 1978. does that disqualify me?

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#196281 05/01/03 02:20 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
OMG TRAPPER KEEPERS! I LMAOed when I saw that. They were like *the thing* in grade school. If you didn't have one, you were just a freaking loser LOL. (Yes, I had one.)

Banana clips. Dude, I still have some. Don't wear em anymore, but they're around. That goes for swatch watches and snap bracelets too.

Awww glow worms! Mine was green. According to my mother, it was my favorite toy when I was little.

LOL, I'll still wear neon clothing if I come across it. And I still wear bike shorts from time to time.

*snort* Cassette singles. I had Milli Vanillie's (hm don't think I can spell that anymore LOL)

TRANSFORMERS: ROBOTS IN DISGUISE.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#196282 05/01/03 03:09 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I just had to reply again because I identified with (and laughed histerically at) some of the things that Jen said.

OMG TRAPPER KEEPERS! I LMAOed when I saw that. They were like *the thing* in grade school. If you didn't have one, you were just a freaking loser LOL. (Yes, I had one.)
Same thing at my school. After a while the teachers made them against the rules to have because everyone had them and the teachers got annoyed by the constant sound of velcro.

And I still wear bike shorts from time to time.
I did wear them under my skirts back then (and felt very stylish, btw wink ). I still wear them at least twice a week, but I don't wear the skirt anymore. Of course, this might have something to do with the fact that I am a serious road cyclist.

~Anna

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard