Next Thread
Print Thread
#196205 04/30/03 05:49 AM
Trenna Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
This is a poll, sort of laugh

I am looking for information about what type of DVD players everyone has. Make and Model if possible and I'm especially interested in those of you outside of the US. I'm doing research on compatability.

Something like....Sony, DVD-PQ1

Thanks for the help!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yep, I have a DVD player... um... Toshiba, SD-2109. It works pretty well for us, and has held up for a while now.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Trenna? Would you mind defining "compatability"? As far as I know, with the exception of DVDs that are of different regions, a DVD player can pretty much play any DVD.

A DVD player bought in Singapore can only play region 3 DVDs. Although the program in some models can be overwritten by technicians so they become multi-regional. That's what my dad did to the DVD player he bought for our home.

I'll have to email my parents to find out the brand and model of our DVD player, if you want.

--meclone2--

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Not all of them meclone2. We bought a very basic model to tide us over until we bought a recordable one and it is extremely choosy about what it plays. razz

We have our eye on another one as it looks like some time before we'll be buying that recordable, but who knows when that will be a viable option. Have to say I'm looking forward to it though! <g>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have a Phillips 612. I'm afraid it won't play everything, it's Dutch after all. /me hits head on keyboard... should have gotten one that can play almost everything! Ah well, it works fine so far.

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

I found this not only DVD players but also for other equipments.

Here is the page.

"DVD Overseas Electronics
Code-Free DVD Players"

http://www.dvdoverseas.com/dvd.htm.

List here of code free DVD player.

http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/index.html?catalog70_0.html

Toshiba Codefree DVD Players
http://www.buyundercost.com/MSDVD_TSHB.shtml

Very interesting.

MAF laugh

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Merriwether
Merriwether
I have an RCA dvd player, about 3 years old now. Not compatible with out-of-region dvd's as far as I know, and it was a pita to get it to work without it being connected via S-Video. We had it hooked up via the coax cable (regular cable line) and the color would fade in and out. Macrovision, or the copyright protection, was causing that. So we bought an RCA adapter. Worked great, until lightning struck. Got a new adapter, worked fine, lightning struck. Dangit. Got a 3rd one, still didn't work. In fact, the dvd player wouldn't turn on. Turned it in and got a replacement. We got a tv with S-Video, and we've had no problems since.

I've heard good things about Apex, you may want to check into that.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Trenna Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thank you everyone for your replies. Keep them coming. laugh

I understand the problems with regions, but in addition, there is a problem with Computer generated DVD's and compatability with DVD Players.

Many newer players have no problem reading DVD-R recorded media, at least in the US. I have a website with information about certain units being compatabilty with recorded DVDs so was hoping to cross check some of these.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hi Trenna! smile

I have a Philips 634 which is now wink region free. It also lets you choose the video output (PAL/NTSC). It can play anything, DVDs, MP3s, VCDs, S-VCDs. And it's cheap! laugh

Elena smile

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
Features Writer
Features Writer
in addition, there is a problem with Computer generated DVD's and compatability with DVD Players.
Definitely. Plus the problem that there are the incompatible, competing recording standards of DVD-R and DVD+R writers. Many of the newer players will read disks recorded under either, but not all.

Mine does read both. It's Toshiba SD-3800

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I have a Phillips DFR 1500 surround sound home theatre unit which my friends got together and bought me for my 50th birthday. (At least there was one advantage to getting old).

It has worked quite well since I got it but although it will play a regular CD through the surround speakers, it will not play a CD-R though there is the ability to hook a CD-R player/recorder through it. (As is the case with a straight TV picture, an outside tuner, and a VCR player). I don't use any of those other options as I don't have enough input/output capability with my stereo receiver.

The only real bummer is that it only plays region one which means that there are 2 or 3 Corrs DVDs out there that I can't watch since they were never released in the U.S. (Isn't that really stupid!).

Tank the Retired (who uses his DVD player much more for Concerts and Music stuff than for movies, and HIGHLY recommends the Corrs Live from London disc which is a live concert shot at Wembley in 2000... it is very good)

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Hi Trenna smile

I have a Panasonic DVD/CD Player.
Model: DVD-RV32
It plays DVDs from all regions. clap

Tricia cool

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Tank, have you tried looking on the Internet for 'hacks' which will enable your DVD player to play Region 2? They do exist, and I'm sure someone like Elena or Annette would be happy to talk you through it if you need. I can now watch Region 1 DVDs on our old-ish player because we hacked it. wink

Trenna, I do need to look at ours and write down the info - once I have (and I need to be at home to do it! wink ) I'll add the information.

Wendy smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have a Thomson DTH 4000 that plays Region 2 (original DVDs and CDs only - doesn't play the copied ones :p ).

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
I have an Apex AD-1201. At least that's what it says on the front. I have never tried copied DVDs, so I'm not sure, but it does play homemade cds (along with MP3s, and Kodak picture cds laugh ). I don't know if it plays both regions, because I've never tried. I don't own any Region...2? If it does, I will be thrilled.

On a side note, one of the reasons I love dvds is that lots of them have foreign language tracks. If not, they have subtitles. Of course, it annoys the heck out of my family when I insist on putting French subtitles up when the whole family is watching the movie. wink

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I *used* to have a multi region (it canme with a hack code) Limit DVD player (I think the model number was DVD8070) but we had to part company as it refused to play the special features disc on the Harry Potter DVDs.

I took it back to the shop and they said that it wasn't really their problem as they didn't garantee that any DVD player they sold would play all disc, however they said they would exchange it! (I loved them at that point!)

I've now got a Pioneer DVD player, again multi region, which I love. I can't remember the model number, though (I'm at Uni). It says on the box that it plays MP3s, CD, CD-R and some other stuff which I forget, but I've never tried it, so I can't help much there.

Loriel

Edit: Model no. is DV-454-s. It says on the box that it playes DVD/CD/CD-R/CD-RW/VCD compatible MP3.

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard