Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#196144 04/27/03 10:06 PM
Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Well, it's official - I've tried to get onto IRC for nearly two weeks now, and it's just not letting me on. At someone's suggestion I even re-installed IRC, and that didn't work either. Apparently there is a problem with the ISP - our IP numbers have been tagged as a problem after some jerk decided to hack the system. So, does anyone know if there is any way I can join our channels via the internet? A Java site or something? I'm on a totally unrelated mailing list who has chats on IRC, but you can also access via a Java site or something like that.

I MISS YOU GUYS!!!!!

Melisma (crying and pouting and whining here under her Rock)

help grumble mecry

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#196145 04/27/03 10:58 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Not sure how you would access irc through a java site but if you're looking for one to use as a conduit, there's one at the Archive\'s Fanfic Live section.

Hope this gets you a little further forward.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#196146 04/27/03 11:41 PM
Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Oh thank you, sweet, sweet Ratty! I'd forgotten how long it takes these sorts of Java connections to go through, but oh, it is *so* much better than sitting forever and getting all those rejection messages. Those make you feel like ten different kinds of dirt!

This site takes me to a different channel than I usually go on when I go to IRC, but I can then change channels once I'm in... Now, where is everyone??? 8pm in Korea, would be what, 1pm in Britain, 4am on the North American Pacific Coast... Oh... smile Well, now I know how to do it, and... <dum-da-dum-dum> :::whispers:::

***I'll be back!***

Melisma (grinning from ear to ear here under her Rock, sending LabRat a *big* cyberhug)

notworthy notworthy party

- Yoda
#196147 04/27/03 11:55 PM
Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Well dang it, now I can't find my signup confirmation email for #loisclark, and I can't remember the password. Can anyone tell me how I can go about requesting them to resend it to me? (DON'T post the password here, or we'll both get in trouble!)

Melisma (still grumbling under her Rock, but not as badly as before...)

grumble

- Yoda
#196148 04/28/03 12:13 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
and getting all those rejection messages. Those make you feel like ten different kinds of dirt!
LOL, yes it is easy to take them personally, isn't it? I get mighty ticked when I get rejected by Surrey, given that it's the closest server to me! <g>

You'll find the signup for #loisclark here

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#196149 04/28/03 12:27 AM
Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Aw, thanks again, Labby! {{{{LabRat}}}}

What would I do without my FoLC buddies? Go nuts, I'm sure!

Melisma (slinking back under her Rock to watch her post count climb - Merriweather, here I come laugh )

- Yoda
#196150 04/28/03 07:56 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
there's also the undernet's webchat interface (in case you have problems with the archive's interface for some reason), which you can find here.

that will let you pick the undernet server you want to log into. it'll also dump you into one of the preset channels (your choice), but a /join command will get you where you actually want to go. smile

it'll even pop up seperate browser windows for private /msg conversations.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#196151 04/28/03 04:26 PM
Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Good suggestion, Paul - but I still got the nasty messages from that site. I'll keep trying from the archive site Labby gave me - really I didn't get on last night, but that was not because of the site, it was 'cause I was too tired smile

Melisma (sending cyberhugs out from under her Rock)

- Yoda
#196152 04/28/03 05:19 PM
Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Well, I've been playing with the IRC connection via the Archive, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get into #lanekent from there. I get into the default channel (#lncfanfic? I think it's called), and then I hit /join #lanekent (and then the password), but then nothing happens and nothing happens, even when I wait as long as it took the default channel to come up - and that's a LONG time, a reason I'd much rather connect from mIRC... Anyway, any idea what I'm doing wrong??

Melisma (starting to get frustrated again, here under her Rock)

help grumble whinging frown

- Yoda
#196153 04/29/03 02:30 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Actually, I think the fanficlive's irc points to another server entirely. You might want to try going to http://www.undernet.org/webchat.php to get on to UnderNet and log into either channel. It only supports 1 channel at a time, though. There's a link on that page to a blueyonder site which has an Undernet irc java client that supports multiple channels, but most of the time it wouldn't come up, or it would time out for me.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#196154 04/29/03 01:03 PM
Melisma Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
The undernet.org site doesn't work for me - same problems as with my mIRC program. I guess I'm just going to have to wait for six months until I'm back home in Canada until I can chat with you all again. Unless I can get up my courage to yell at the ISP here for them to come up with a solution...

Melisma (whining here under her Rock...she HATES this!)

- Yoda

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard