Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ok- my turn,
Not extremely genius, but it's my nick. I've always had this thing for the sun- sun sets, sun rises, sun rooms, etc.
It always been a energy booster for me for some reason (other than the fact that I am half Kryptonian and my *real* name is Kist-El cool ).

Anyway- I grew up in Arizona and went off to college in Minnesota - can you say one extreme to the other??? Gray skies and white outs tended to make me homesick so I painted a huge sun on my dorm room wall so it would be the first thing I would see when I got up (to be faced with 70 below with wind chill weather - ever had your eyelashes freeze together while you walk to class?)

Friends caught on to my sun fiend and the nick seemed to fit!

Oh- and the only part of my body that would get sun burned was/is my nose... the rest is just 'kissed' by the sun. sloppy

I guess that's it!
~sunkist

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
okay, first of all, i have to defend my name. even if it does mean publically sullying my nerd rep.

i cannot hack. i can't even program straight. don't know why, but it's something i've learned to accept. even made my homepage with netscape composer instead of learning html. so, if someone hacked your post count labby, it was not i. besides, why would i give you a boost? :p

second, i agree.. helga, you can't leave a good wok story untold. explain, or i'll start singing "wok like an egyptian!"

finally... sunkist- you mean your nick has nothing to do with oranges?

Paul, still chuckling over clark, the radiant maiden (and wondering if ikuko's heard about it yet).

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Man! My computer crashed and it took me a couple of days to find and put the old one back together and it doesn't even work half the time(now you know why I had to buy a new one). I just got online and just found out I had to register again. So much can happen over a couple of days.

Well, I explained my nick in the old thread, but will do it again for the viewing public.

My nick, Ja-10 is my real name Jiten. It's just pronounced differently. My real name is pronounced "juhten", I don't know why it's not spelled that the way it's pronounced(ask my parents). And that is how I got my nick, from my parents.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
First off I have to say that I'm really loving this thread -- being a "lurker" for years (although I didn't realize that I was -- I thought I was just enjoying reading everybodys posts. Who knew there was a "phrase" for that?? wink )and also being totally addicted to the archives, it's been quite enjoyable (and informative) to find out (finally) the story behind so many of my favorite author's nicks.

I also was just about to post b4 the boards went down. I had finially gotten the nerve up to register one day before the big crash, and the next day (when I had already become addicted), it was gone. So here is my short, kinda boring story about my nic.

Like my others, I too, have been ingrained to be fearful of using your real name on the net. So..... RetroRose comes from my love of Retro (yes, I really do put up an aluminum christmas tree, complete with 2 color wheels AND a turning base). I really got in to it all because I started playing in a "swing band" (a "big band" -- you know, 5 saxes, 4 trombones, 4 trumpets, bass, drums and piano) years ago and got facinated with the 40's era (zoot suites, swing, USO canteens etc) and from there it was a very short hop to loving the "lounge lizard" era of the 50's (rat pack, martinis, etc). Then because I hail from the city of Roses (Portland Oregon). I put them together for my nic.
The 1st time I posted, I had used Retro Rose as two words, and then laughed when several people welcomed "rose" to the boards, so I decided to make it one word to help clarify that "rose" isn't even remotely my real name.

Ok, so this explanation wasn't all that short, but I think I was right about the boring part tho!! rotflol

"Well, let's see, so far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, treated as your girlfriend, and I insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this. Mmm, mmm." -- Lois to Clark, 'Green, Green Glow of Home'
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
thanks for the story. smile one question, though-what are we supposed to call you, if not rose? RR? i mean, "retrorose" is a handful... at least, for my lazy fingers. laugh

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
well that's a good point, I never thought about it -- I guess Retro would work -- or RR -- or even Rose smile I've always said that it doesn't matter what you call me, just don't call me late for lunch!! I mostly wanted to clear up that Rose isn't my name, but I'm pretty hard to offend.

"Well, let's see, so far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, treated as your girlfriend, and I insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this. Mmm, mmm." -- Lois to Clark, 'Green, Green Glow of Home'
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
This is such a fun topic. I love hearing everyone's stories.

I've never been able to come up with creative names. I don't belong to any other fandoms or message boards, etc., but whenever I have had to register for something, I've always used some derivision of my full name Meredith Anne. I've always used both names interchangeably in real life. I tend to use Meredith for formal or professional things (I use it in my byline and my email address) and Annie for personal things (my AIM name is AnnieM0616, many of my friends call me Annie). When I found folcdom I wasn't sure which to use. I saw Meredith was actively posting a story at the time and I thought it might be confusing to have two Merediths, so I went with Annie. I like to tease her about it, but I'm actually really glad it turned out this way. I always feel closer to people who call me Annie for some reason, because it's my "personal name" I guess.

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Top Banana
Top Banana
Kaethel, how do you pronounce your name?

I've always imagined, Kaethel, similar to Kal El, or is it Kay Ethel?

I'm not familiar with what the little dots over the E do to the pronounciation
The little dots, in French, separate the e from the a when you pronounce it. As for how to say Kaethel, well, let's see:

"Kaa eh tel" sounds closest to it (special thanks to El and Wendy for the help on explaining it).

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
M
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
M
I've enjoyed all the posts that I've read here. smile Keep them coming! smile1

Regarding Kal El... Shining Maiden huh? rotflol Looks like the surname "El" is inherently wrong. Perhaps the surname "El" is good for a gal but not a guy? Clark should consider changing it? wink

Hmmm.... I wonder what "Jor El" means.

twins
metwin1

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Bowing to substantial public pressure....

[Cue drum roll....]

The Wok in Wales story.

(I think we need some graemlins here to build the hype up a bit more... but I can't have more than 8 :sulk: )

dance dance

Actually it's one of those tales that sounds great, gets your hopes up, and then is really not that interesting after all. Sorry about that, but you did ask <eg>

Once upon a time, we went on holiday to Anglesey, which to those not in the know is an island off the coast of Wales. Although it isn't the back of all beyond, it is close (I'm not knocking the place... it's lovely).

Anyway, for reasons I forget, one of the things we had to do whilst we were on holiday was buy a wok. Not just any wok mind you, but a good wok. (What can I say, my friends are culinary snobs). Now Anglesey is not the best place for cooking utensil shopping, or any sort of shopping really, on account of there not being that many shops... (although if you like sheep it's a whole different ball game... smile ). So it was a bit of a hopeless quest, but dedicated and determined that we were, everytime we went to a new centre of civilization we would seek out shops likely to sell woks, so it became a bit of a theme to our holiday...

Now I know what you're thinking, what on earth has this got to do with Helga...? Patience, dear children, patience...

At the same time, I had had a rather nasty run in with a hairdresser, which had resulted in me having what could be termed a pudding-bowl hair cut. But since our holiday had developed a wok theme... I became a wok-head instead, and 'Helga Wok-head' scans better than 'Top-Secret!-Helga's-real-name-which-actually-isn't-that-much-different-to-Helga-anyway Wok-head'.

Simple smile

And yes, I am still friends with them.

And yes, somehow, somewhere, we found a shop on Anglesey that sold good woks.

I thank you all for your time tonight, you've been a wonderful audience... notworthy

Helga.
P.S. Sorry to all the Welsh people, but I just had to get a sheep in their somewhere smile

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
D
Blogger
Blogger
D
This is a fun thread. My nick's origin is fairly boring - not as boring as it was on the other boards though. By the time I signed up on this board, my old one (my name) was taken, so I used my current e-mail name.

That name comes from one of the annoyances of being a junior (that is - my name is identical to my father's, with Jr. added at the end.) I normally answer to my middle name, while my father uses “our” first name. However, when dealing with doctor’s offices or other official instances like our recent home re-financing, I have to use my full name. Sometimes I don’t know by which name I should identify myself. Yes, it can be annoying.

After I finished grad school, my family was staying with my parents while I searched for a job. Since the atomic physics job market wasn’t the greatest, this took a while. My father was a prison chaplain at the time, so we would both receive phone calls from people who didn’t know us, and so didn’t know who to ask for. They generally had no idea whether they wanted Junior or Senior, so we began asking if they wanted Reverend Ward or Doctor Ward. That would usually settle the issue quickly.

So docward stuck as a way to differentiate myself from my father, and now I’m used to it. It is certainly better than any of the nicknames I picked up in the three high-schools I attended.

Frank (Who needs to be more creative in the nickname department)

Monolithic biavicide ......... Killing two birds with one stone
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
fun story, helga (i think the suspense helped wink ). thanks for sharing, even if it was under duress. i hope, though, that after all that trouble, it was a non-stick wok. smile

docward, thanks for explaining. i'm not much of an ER fan, but i thought there was a character by that name. so, nice to know it's your actual name. smile

kae, thanks for clarifying the pronounciation. i'd been wondering. actually, i still am, a bit, but i think i've got the accent right in my head. smile

Paul, still wondering why "wok in wales" sounds like it should mean something...

D
Blogger
Blogger
D
I don't believe I've ever even watched an episode of ER, nor even have a remote desire to do so. Just not my kind of thing.

Frank (Who doesn't watch much tv anymore anyway)

Monolithic biavicide ......... Killing two birds with one stone
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Now Anglesey is not the best place for cooking utensil shopping, or any sort of shopping really, on account of there not being that many shops... (although if you like sheep it's a whole different ball game...).
LOL, Helga. Sounds like a holiday I once had in Dornoch. <g> Lots of sheep there too and about three shops. Oh and fields. Lots and lots of fields. As it rained almost from the moment we got there, till the day we left, you can imagine how much fun we had there. wink

Paul, I suspect it's not your reason, <g> but 'wok in Wales' reminds me of a very old comedy sketch song in the show Not The Nine O'Clock News, which was a spoof on a government ad of the day promoting all the good things they'd done in Wales. I doubt it ever traveled Stateside.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
you're right, labby. that's not my reason. smile never seen that one.

i think for me it's more along the lines of these lines...

("wok 'n roll," a chain of chinese restaurants)

Paul

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
other than the fact that I am half Kryptonian and my *real* name is Kist-El
LOL, Sunkist! laugh

I've had several nicks growing up but nobody uses them around me anymore; guess I've outgrown them! wink

When I first joined the old LOISCLA list - now the Yahoo LCFanfic list - I used my real name. It was only when I was writing my first fanfic that I thought of using an alias. I always got a kick out of nicks like 'LabRat' so I thought it would be cool to have have one too. cool

There weren't any stories filed under X in the archive. That X was standing so forlorn and empty between all those other letters. Even the Z was happily filled with fanfic! That's why I decided to use a nick starting with an X.

You wouldn't believe the corny names I came up with! Like X-Tera and X-Kal-ibur! blush

And just when I'd practically given up on the X and decided to use 'Ubee' instead - my initials are U.B. - I heard that old song 'Xanadu' on the radio. And presto! I had a light bulb moment. goofy

That's how 'Xanabee' came about!

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Some really interesting stories here! smile

When I first went online, I didn't want to use my real name - not so much out of fear as much as embarrassment. blush I don't even use my married name when I write in RL; I write under my maiden name, for various reasons. I considered my favorites and thought, like Loriel, about using a Tolkien nick. At the time, though, I wanted something that sounded like it was real. I settled on my other lifelong love: Watership Down, by Richard Adams. I liked Hazel, because while the one who really lived in Hampshire was a male rabbit, Hazel is usually a woman's name when attributed to humans. goofy

In the first year or so, I allowed people to think that Hazel was actually my name; I was too embarrassed to admit it was a nick. Now, though, I'll just cheerfully say that none of you, except Rivka and Gerry and Paul, could pronounce my real name anyway. So there. cool

Regarding the Tolkien discussion, btw: There is no J is Sindarin, so Jor-El will have to be left out. smile And "Kal" would most likely be spelled "Cal" or "Cel" - the C is always a hard one. And considering that one woman was given the nickname "Silverfoot," another was actually *named* "Starspray," and Aragorn managed to turn "Strider" into the far more nicer-sounding "Telcontar," I wouldn't worry too much about it if I was Clark. goofy

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
Kerth
Kerth
My story is not that intersting, but I'm an Asimov's fan, so what charcater of him is my favorite? laugh

Ok, I had thought of Bliss, but it was a little out of place. wink

Jose wave

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
My real name is Patricia. I have been called Tricia by family, friends and even work colleagues for as long as I can remember. Being very new to the internet it didn't even occur to me to use a nick when I registered on Zoom's boards. smile1

Tricia cool

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Coming very belatedly to this thread...

My nick is all IRC's fault. I ventured onto IRC one night and needed a nick. Lacking imagination, I thought I'd go with my (part of) my first name and the initial of my surname: ChrisC.

It was taken.

So was Chrissie (which I thought would sound like Chris C).

Various permutations later, I ended up with Krissie.

Sometimes that is taken, too, so then I become Crissie. On one occasion, I think I even became Kryssy. Oh, and I've also once or twice been Krissie17, but I got put off that one when someone told me that:

1) he'd had absolutely no idea that I was the Chris Carr who'd written Learning Curves and

2) that he'd thought I was a teenaged girl, with a nick like that. (That's a bit of a joke, since I can barely remember seventeen!)

Since I'd been being pestered by people with the most alarming sounding names wanting to chat, and thinking the naive teenager image might have something to do with that, I no longer go with that particular nick at all.

Anyway, since I'd talked to a few people on IRC, when I first ventured onto the mbs, I thought I might as well stick with the nick.

There you go. Utterly boring, right?

Oh, and just to warn you: if any of you get to meet me face to face, I absolutely loathe being called Chrissie! But that's another story entirely.

Chris

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard