Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
IreneD Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Does anyone have a recommendation as to what to purchase to enable my Palm Pilot to be used for Word or Text programs?

Better yet, is anyone aware of any free programs and if so, where?

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Irene,

I just downloaded two programs; Isilo and IsiloX and they work great. You need to install Isilo to the Palm and IsiloX for your PC to convert the files. It has a 30 eval period but after that it still works but you have very limited features. I haven't run through the 30 days yet, but so far so good.

Being new to the fanfic universe I have A LOT of catching up to do and now I can convert text and HTML to the Palm and take it along!

Here are the links ==> http://www.isilox.com/
http://www.isilo.com/

HTH, Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
well, i use an older, more carbon-based (as opposed to silicon-based) PDA. less worry about data loss (just have to worry about coffee-related incidents), but the software options are rather limited. wink

still, i can do a net search with this computer, and that turned up a couple of useful pages.

this one offers a variety of freeware and shareware programs for palmOS, including a shareware program to read word files and a freeware program to convert txt to palm format.

this site is on geocities (so you'll have to deal with pop-ups if you don't have a blocker), but it has a whole categorized listing off palmOS freeware.

that one led me to this site, which has a huge shareware database. search for "ms word," and you'll come up with a few good hits.

this one has a list of freeware and shareware palm text editors.

this page looks more like what you were asking about, tho... a word2palm converter that supposedly even adds conversion buttons to word itself.

this site offers ebooks for palm pilots, and the associated ebook software. doesn't help for fic, but i thought i'd point it out.

hope that helps. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
IreneD Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Wow, thanks, guys! That's great! I have some free time this afternoon, and after I've checked in with my newest beta-reader - hi, Paul! - I'll check these sites out.

Irene
who unfortunately doesn't have a lot of time to indulge herself playing on these boards today....

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Thanks, Paul! Only knew about two of those sites. Downloading now. smile

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Merriwether
Merriwether
I tried it, it works, now I can read fics anywhere, and without even printing them out!

Forget it, I am never going to sleep again... wink

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by rivka:
Forget it, I am [b]never going to sleep again... wink [/b]
You can sleep while the handheld is charging. That's what I do... smile1

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
Merriwether
Merriwether
You can sleep while the handheld is charging. That's what I do... smile1
Mine doesn't charge. It runs on AAAs. I fell asleep with my palm in one hand, remote in the other, and another fic printing.

Definitely time for that 12-step program... wink

- Under the Tuscan Sun
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by rivka:
It runs on AAAs.
jawdrop

I would probably go through a case of batteries per month!

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
that's what rechargables are for. laugh

Paul, whose amazing carbon-based PDA uses no batteries whatsoever. laugh (and, btw, i decided years ago that if and when i own my own company, it will be called Pennan, Inc.)

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Merriwether
Merriwether
I used to use rechargeables, but they gradually charge less and less -- big pain.

Regular AAAs actually last a while, but I do buy AAAs every time they're on sale.

- Under the Tuscan Sun

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard