Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Teri Hatcher talked about the possibility of doing a Superman related project in this article, and she also gave her opinion on "Man of Steel." It's an interesting read.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-08-07/teri-hatcher-id-love-to-do-more-superman

It really makes me wish they would do a "Lois and Clark" TV movie or direct-to-DVD film. I'm sure we'd never get a big budget production like "Man of Steel," but it would be nice to see Teri and Dean return to the roles one last time in any form.

A "Veronica Mars" movie has become a reality thanks to fans funding the movie through Kickstarter. Maybe, fans of "Lois and Clark" could do something similar.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Chickberry's The Choices of Others would make a good made for TV movie with Teri and Dean reprising their roles as Lois and Clark, and possibly move into a pilot for a new series starring the next generation. It would be an area of being a hero or the parent of a hero, which hasn't been delved into in television (as far as I know. I never got past the first few episodes of "Heroes").

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
drool

EDIT: I would also love it if they adapted a fanfic into a movie and they actually did it! Would be so awesome!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Columnist
Columnist
Originally posted by Mouserocks:

[b]EDIT:
I would also love it if they adapted a fanfic into a movie and they actually did it! Would be so awesome! [/b]
They could get funding for a project like this by charging an entry fee and having people submit to a contest for which fanfic adaptation would be used.

.talk nerdy to me.
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I do actually think a Superman project with Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher is more of a possibility now than it ever has been except for maybe shortly after the show was cancelled. Teri Hatcher is no longer doing "Desperate Housewives," so she has more free time to do something like this than she did when the show was on the air. Also, while in the past, the show "Smallville" wasn't allowed to use the character of Batman because there was a fear that it might interfere with the films about Batman, this thinking seems to have changed. I remember a quote from a while back when there was a "Wonder Woman" TV pilot in the works where somebody from Warner Brothers said that the TV show and a potential movie could be out at the same time. Also, after there were rumors about a movie revolving around the Flash, it was announced that the character would be appearing on the show "Arrow." Therefore, I don't think the fact that Superman is appearing in the movies would necessarily prevent the studio from allowing a project starring Dean and Teri.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I really think returning Hatcher and Cain in a film of Lois and Clark would work. This way they could tell us what was up with the child in the final episode, and they would not have to resort to the fast aging baby plan to get around the problems of writing in a baby. They could just skip 15+ years into the future for most of it.

John Pack Lambert
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
If not a live action film, they could at least do an animated film with Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher providing the voices. DC Comics has been releasing direct-to-DVD animated movies regularly for the past few years now. A lot of them have been about Superman, and they change the voice cast up for most of them. I don't think it would be out of the question to make one set within the continuity of "Lois and Clark" with Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher providing the voices.

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
The main problem with trying to do a made-for-tv/direct-to-vid live action movie is that Lane Smith (Perry White) passed away over seven years ago. They can't exactly replace him and considering how "Stop the Presses" went/ended I can't see them attempting to put Lois back in the position of Editor-in-Chief, so that means they'd need to replace him with somebody... but who? I can't see it working.

An animated might work, but it seems like they're trying to make the DCAU go more in line with the current track at DCE (i.e. New52 ish), which means that "Lois and Clark", quite frankly is likely to be ignored.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
They did have at least one Perry-free L&C episode (I Got You Under My Skin). So you do not absolutely need Perry. Still I do have to agree this is a big problem. You would have to tweek someone, or cast someone else as Perry. Still, there are ways forward there. Having a new editor and saying Perry retired would work.

John Pack Lambert
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by John Lambert:
They did have at least one Perry-free L&C episode (I Got You Under My Skin). So you do not absolutely need Perry. Still I do have to agree this is a big problem. You would have to tweek someone, or cast someone else as Perry. Still, there are ways forward there. Having a new editor and saying Perry retired would work.
Or maybe he and Alice went away on a much needed second honeymoon and Eduardo is covering.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b] They did have at least one Perry-free L&C episode (I Got You Under My Skin). So you do not absolutely need Perry. Still I do have to agree this is a big problem. You would have to tweek someone, or cast someone else as Perry. Still, there are ways forward there. Having a new editor and saying Perry retired would work.
Or maybe he and Alice went away on a much needed second honeymoon and Eduardo is covering. [/b]
You know, I think Eduardo would make a great editor.

John Pack Lambert
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
It is unfortunate that any continuation of "Lois and Clark" wouldn't be able to use Lane Smith. There are a few ways I could see them getting around that, though.

They could do what was already suggested above and just write around Perry's character. He could be mentioned briefly but never seen.

They could also say that Perry passed away. It would be a little sad thinking about Perry being gone, but that way, his absence would be explained. However, I'm not sure if whoever was making a potential movie would be able to get the OK to kill off such a major Superman character.

Or, they could recast Perry. I don't really like this option at all, but Hollywood does have a habit of recasting parts when an actor is unavailable for one reason or another.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
If they recast Perry with someone who gave it the same feeling as Lane Smith did it might work.

Probably the easiest thing is to have him have retired. I mean, if we are going to cast Dean Cain and Terri Hatcher again as Lois and Clark, we have to move it forward about 20 years, which would put Perry at 70, so his having retired is totally believable.

Probably the best is to bring in a new character as editor.

John Pack Lambert
Kerth
Kerth
If they recast Perry with someone who gave it the same feeling as Lane Smith did it might work.

Probably the easiest thing is to have him have retired. I mean, if we are going to cast Dean Cain and Terri Hatcher again as Lois and Clark, we have to move it forward about 20 years, which would put Perry at 70, so his having retired is totally believable.

Probably the best is to bring in a new character as editor.
That would work. A long time ago I wrote a Buffy crossover with (amongst other things) the old Lou Grant TV series; the snag was the time that had passed since Lou Grant aired, so I simply said that Lou Grant had retired and Billie Newman (who was the main Lou Grant character in the story) had taken over as Editor in chief and was now in her late fifties, other characters were now City Editor, Photographic Editor, etc. I don't think anyone felt it didn't work (although it's entirely possible that nobody else at that site actually remembered the original series, it last aired around the time most of the Buffy characters were born!)

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
That is a good point. I wouldn't mind it if they said that Perry is retired.

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Originally posted by Lois_Lane_Fan:
]That is a good point. I wouldn't mind it if they said that Perry is retired.
I would be OK with that. They shouldn't even try to replace Lane Smith with another "Perry". In fact, I think I'd prefer they had a scene like:

New Kid, pointing to large photo by the elevators: Wow! Is that THE Perry White?

Clark: Yep.

New Kid: Did he really...? I mean, all those stories about...

Lois: That he saved thousands of lives with his DoD investigation? Kid, maybe it was tens of thousands. He always said that he had at least one more good story in him. I guess when he got that tip he just couldn't resist.

Clark:No one even knew he was working on it. And what you've heard of the Kerth Awards that year are true. Clean sweep. And no one will admit to ghostwriting those articles from his notes, so don't ask.

Shallowford
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I think anyone who'd like to see this possibly happen should make sure to take part in the Lois & Clark 20th anniversary party on Twitter . Who knows? If Warner Brothers sees that there's enough interest in the show, they might consider doing something. If you don't have a Twitter account, consider creating one just for this event. cool

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard