Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
help
I have read in several fanfics that H.G. Wells has told Lois and Clark that they will have children. Which episode does this happen?

Thanks
:hugs:
Mac

{{{hugs to all}}}
Mac
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, in 'Tempus Fugitive' H. G. Wells tells Lois and Clark that it is their descendents which create Utopia.

From Tempus Fugitive (the script):
H.G. Wells: Miss Lane, something you might find interesting -- Utopia was founded by Superman's descendants.
When she asks who he marries, he tells her that 'would be telling'.

Then Tempus tells Lois that she's on breakfast cereal, and Wells tells her that she *isn't* glattically stupid merely *blinded* by love.

Is that enough? wink Or did you want something a bit more specific?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
That was what I was wanting. Thanks. laugh

:hugs:
Mac

{{{hugs to all}}}
Mac
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Still in Tempus Fugitive, when Lois takes baby Clark she says: "I'm not very good with..."

And Wells answers: "Oh, you will be." wink

Andreia smile

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
There's also a sort of almost "throw-away" line in Soul Mates.

WELLS (CONT'D)
Destiny has been kind to you. It has blessed you both with each other, no small gift indeed. There are a great many people who travel alone through their whole lives and envy what you two have.
(personalizing this)
Greatly...
(as if preparing them)
Try to remember that the next time the gods decide to test you.
(into elevator)
By the way, congratulations on your marriage.
Could he possibly mean/be hinting at their (soon to be) presumed fertility issues? And letting them subtly know that all will be well? I've always thought so.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
There's also a sort of almost "throw-away" line in Soul Mates.

WELLS (CONT'D)
Destiny has been kind to you. It has blessed you both with each other, no small gift indeed. There are a great many people who travel alone through their whole lives and envy what you two have.
(personalizing this)
Greatly...
(as if preparing them)
[b]Try to remember that the next time the gods decide to test you.

(into elevator)
By the way, congratulations on your marriage.
Could he possibly mean/be hinting at their (soon to be) presumed fertility issues? And letting them subtly know that all will be well? I've always thought so. [/b]
That's an interesting theory. I've always wondered why they go so stressed out about having children when HG Wells had told them their descendents would create Utopia. Well, 'Duh', folks! Can't have one without the other. (That is, descendents without having children, since that's what descendents are: your children, grand children, great grandchildren, etc.)

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Thank you all!! This is what I was looking for! It's been so long since I have seen the series, I'm not sure what is canon and what fans have made up for their fics (whether or not it just worked for their fic or because they thought it was canon). And I know that sometimes, once something is in a fic, if it's real popular, it can become like canon to some. I just wasn't sure if that had happened here or not.

Anyway, thanks for all of your help! I really like idea that H.G. Wells knows that Clark and Lois will have children. thumbsup I'm glad to know that it was stated in one of the episodes so plainly. smile

{{{hugs to all}}}
Mac
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by Ultra Woman:
Still in Tempus Fugitive, when Lois takes baby Clark she says: "I'm not very good with..."

And Wells answers: "Oh, you will be." wink

Andreia smile
I'd forgotten that line, but I think that is the proof we need to say that Lois will have children. This is why I am half tempted to end my official canon with "Toy Story" and then imagine a much better progress from there, ignoring the silliness that was Dr. Klein saying Superman was not compatible with an earth woman. Or at least close "Family Hour" not with a baby showing up, but with Lois realizing she is pregnant, and Klein is just wrong.

John Pack Lambert
Merriwether
Merriwether
Remember that in "Family Hour" when Sam first studied Dr. Klein's findings, he noticed something in the files, shook his head, and said, "This data can't be right ..." Unfortunately, Sam had his memories removed before he could tell Lois and Clark what he'd found. This seemed to be a sure clue left by the writers to show what they had in mind for the following season.

And to that end, even though it may not be officially canon since it never got filmed, we did hear from one of the writers after the cancellation about how they'd planned to continue the storyline. Lois and Clark were going to spend the first part of the season raising the child -- a boy, btw -- and then find out later that he was a descendent of theirs from the future, thus proving that they could indeed have biological children.

Now personally, once Teri announced her pregnancy, I figured they'd have to tweak a bit. Since she would have been showing in the early episodes, I think they would have sped up the storyline a bit and we'd learn that the baby was indeed their child ... only he was from exactly one year in the future, and 3-4 months old ... which means that when they find out he's their son they would also be finding out that Lois was pregnant. smile That was my theory at the time, and I still think it would have made for a great (even abbreviated) Season 5. smile

Kathy

Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
I thought that Time Miner (one of the writers) said that the baby was from New Krypton and was going to age fast. Matter of fact he did get his aging fast baby in Angel. I read this after Angel went off the air. I had no idea that Tim Miner had even written for L&C when I read that. (I didn't really look at who wrote the episodes/tv shows/movies until after I found out that some of my fave shows/movies had the same writers.) Matter of fact, I think that's what got me to looking into L&C fanfic back in 2007. Not sure where I read it though.

Personally, I hate the baby aging fast story line. Make the baby from Zara and Ching to protect the baby, fine. Make the baby from the future, fine. But please don't have a baby for one to two or three weeks and then have a teenager! That's what I hated about the Connor story line in Angel.

{{{hugs to all}}}
Mac
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, that was apparently part of the plan. Funnily enough, I mentioned this just the other day on another thread. The S5 premiere would see the baby grow rapidly to a sullen, superpowered teen, who would spend much of the season causing no end of trouble. 'Hijinks ensue'.

It wouldn't have appealed to me either. And, yes, Minear reworking it later for Angel ruined it for me, too. Although time and distance have softened my ire to the point where I'm much more sanguine about it. laugh

LabRat :-)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
In the Superman universe, it doesn't make since at all on why or how the child could grow rapidly. Clark grew up at a normal pace so it would stand to reason so would any other Kryptonian child (whether from New Krypton or from the future.)

The story-line was a little more believable in Angel, but then again, that's a totally different universe and that universe had already established different dimensions and that time moves differently in certain dimensions than it did in the dimension where our characters lived. I just can't stand the thought of my fave characters missing out on raising their own children. And, yes, I know it happens all the time with kidnappings, but still I don't like it.

I want my favorite characters to have a happy ending because I watch TV to escape reality sometimes. In reality, good doesn't always win in the here and now. hyper

In my fics, Angel's baby will *not* be sent to a Hell dimension and then reappear three weeks later as a teenager! Angel gets his happy ending! (Sorry I got off topic.) blush

What it all boils down to, I'm sure, is that minors can only be on set a certain amount of time and apparently the TV writers (Tim Miner) doesn't know how write for a baby character. Other shows have done so very well. But I guess that is a weakness of some writers. Hey, my weakness is that I can't write nFic scenes (I have guest writers and give them credit when I have to have one of *those* scenes). I also can't write fight scenes (I usually copy and paste from transcript and give credit to episode writer and transcriber). So, I'm not trying to mean. I'm just stating my opinion and trying to rationalize why this show wasn't going to have Lois and Clark have a baby for long and why other shows either don't show the baby much or have them disappear and then reappear a few weeks later as teenagers (who the actor in real life is 18 or older). I think it probably has more to do with the Minors not allowed on set for more than a certain amount of hours. But then again, they could get around that with saying the baby is at the babysitter's/daycare while parents are working. Have a little baby time at home for about 5 min. of screentime per episode. (But then again that is costly I suppose.) huh

{{{hugs to all}}}
Mac
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Originally posted by MacKenzie Creations:
I want my favorite characters to have a happy ending because I watch TV to escape reality sometimes.
I totally agree. This is why I don't like comics that are "gritty" and "realistic". I read the comics or watch the shows for escapism so I can enjoy myself.

What it all boils down to, I'm sure, is that minors can only be on set a certain amount of time and apparently the TV writers (Tim Miner) doesn't know how write for a baby character.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. This is why they cast twins on Full House - so they could have more baby screen time while still staying within the child labor laws. Babies are hard to write for, too, especially if it's not a home-centric family story. Babies take up so much of real parents' time and attention that if you're trying to be remotely realistic, it's hard not to have the plot suddenly revolve around the baby.

The writers could go the I Love Lucy route and just mention the baby now and then without having any baby screen time or baby-heavy plots. Bewitched did pretty much the same thing. Then there's the Growing Pains phenomenon, where one season they have a baby, and the next season she's 4 or 5. That really threw me off when I was a kid. I thought I was missing several years of episodes until I figured it out. I think my single least favorite example of rapid baby-aging, though, is Troi's baby on Star Trek TNG. She gets impregnated by some alien light show, and he grows up and dies all in one day. And she still puts him in school and goes off to work! Why didn't she take the day off and watch her weird alien son grow from a newborn to a teenager during school hours? And how did he learn English so fast? It doesn't make sense!!!

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by KathyB:
Remember that in "Family Hour" when Sam first studied Dr. Klein's findings, he noticed something in the files, shook his head, and said, "This data can't be right ..." Unfortunately, Sam had his memories removed before he could tell Lois and Clark what he'd found. This seemed to be a sure clue left by the writers to show what they had in mind for the following season.

And to that end, even though it may not be officially canon since it never got filmed, we did hear from one of the writers after the cancellation about how they'd planned to continue the storyline. Lois and Clark were going to spend the first part of the season raising the child -- a boy, btw -- and then find out later that he was a descendent of theirs from the future, thus proving that they could indeed have biological children.

Now personally, once Teri announced her pregnancy, I figured they'd have to tweak a bit. Since she would have been showing in the early episodes, I think they would have sped up the storyline a bit and we'd learn that the baby was indeed their child ... only he was from exactly one year in the future, and 3-4 months old ... which means that when they find out he's their son they would also be finding out that Lois was pregnant. smile That was my theory at the time, and I still think it would have made for a great (even abbreviated) Season 5. smile

Kathy
Someone should write a fan fic where this is what happens.

This to me is the most satisfying explanation of who the baby is, Lois and Clark's child brought from the future.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
In the Superman universe, it doesn't make since at all on why or how the child could grow rapidly. Clark grew up at a normal pace so it would stand to reason so would any other Kryptonian child (whether from New Krypton or from the future.)
The fact that they had writers who were willing to jettison any attempt at logic may be why the show did not go forward.

John Pack Lambert

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard