Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
This is my favorite episode of the third season. Seeing Lois fight crime as Ultra Woman was a real treat, and it was also interesting to see Clark have to adapt to someone else having his powers instead of him.

It was nice that Lois got to finally see what it is like to be Superman. It gave her a whole new appreciation of what Clark goes through as Superman, and really, it was a good way to reiterate to the audience that being Superman isn’t easy. We don’t usually see that Superman can’t always stop every disaster and that even Superman has to deal with being too late sometimes.

I also enjoyed Lois’ proposal to Clark at the end. It was nice to see the two of them officially engaged after wrestling with the issue over the past few episodes.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
My replies to these threads always seems so superficial, but...whatever.

I like the whole newsroom scene with Lois in the brown suit: Clark's pronunciation of Antonio Banderas, Lois telling Jimmy to "apply ice", Lois and Clark's interaction at his desk, Lois using her super-vision to peek at Clark's briefs, Lois' kiss as she takes off out of the newsroom - good stuff.

And I've always loved the scene with Shelley Long saying "Ultra Lucille, darling, ULTRA Lucille. Practice it, let it roll off your tongue..." Sitting here giggling at work as I type that out.

Oh yeah, and I like the part in the alley when Ultra Woman and Clark kiss as he is changing into Superman. His facial expression is so intense. And I think the little girl's drawing is cute too.

Clark: "Lois, you know, I really hope someday that you learn, that sometimes what it seems like people are doing isn't what they're really doing."
Lois: "What are you, a fortune cookie?"
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
This episode ranks up there as what I consider to be one of the best of the entire series. I really enjoyed their decision to explore what it might mean if the dynamics were switched around. Something that didn't work quite as well in the season four episode "Stop the Presses." It showed how Clark would actually be really good at helping any future children through the awkward and uncomfortable stages of learning to control their powers when it came time (which if I remember correctly would come at an ALREADY awkward time known as adolescence.)

I had been working on a cosplay version of Lois's outfit but I couldn't quite get the cape to work. I do have a week and a half to get it ready before my local con on April 19-21 but I'm not certain it fits me right now (with my pregnancy.) *tries but fails to imagine a pregnant UltraWoman*

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Too true, it was my favorite episode as well. The scene with Clark tied up and yelling, "I could use a little HELP!" was pitch perfect.

Besides being able to fly we are reminded that being Superman, sometimes ain't all its cracked up to be!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I agree with Christina - this is one of the best episodes of the series. Lois, having the powers and facing the awesome responsibility - how can you go wrong with a premise like that?

Plus, I like how they dress her in the suit/vest/tie, so that she can pull on her tie as she's running off to be UW. A little in-joke there.

Bobbart tells a tale of another way that Lois might have gotten Clark's powers in Luck And Consequences . He brings up some interesting food for thought - I don't want to spoil the fic, so go and read it. Adding icing to the cake is the sequel, The Return of Ultra Woman . Fine fics, well told.

Nan Smith shows us what happens in the alt-world, when alt-Lois gets alt-Clark's powers in How I Spent My Christmas Vacation - One Year Later . This is part of a series that deals with the adventures of the alt-Clark and alt-Lois, and the series begins, logically, with How I Spent My Christmas Vacation . Don't miss.

It's always fun reading Plot Untwist Challenge Fics, and Anne Spear doesn't disappoint with the snappy Ultra Squirrel . It's laugh-out-loud funny.

Anti-Kryptonite has a change in tone in her excellent Lighter Than Air, Better Than Gravity , where Lois and Clark come to a new understanding of their relationship after the events of "Ultra Woman".

Another reflective fic is Forever by Cindy Leuch.

I think my favorite episode-related fic is Sue S's Flying Lessons , where Sue asks the question, what if the superpower swap had occurred in the second season, before Lois knew that Clark was Superman?

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I really liked this episode. My favorite scene was where Clark intervenes to stop the mugging without his pwoers.

I wish though there was a scene where Lois says "you lunkhead, did you forget you arn't Super."

And Clark replies "No Lois, I remembered I could get hurt, but I just felt a need to help."

Nell and Lucille were fun villains. My favorite line was when Nell says "He has all the Superpowers of Batman".

John Pack Lambert
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
I agree with Christina - this is one of the best episodes of the series. Lois, having the powers and facing the awesome responsibility - how can you go wrong with a premise like that?

Plus, I like how they dress her in the suit/vest/tie, so that she can pull on her tie as she's running off to be UW. A little in-joke there.

Bobbart tells a tale of another way that Lois might have gotten Clark's powers in Luck And Consequences . He brings up some interesting food for thought - I don't want to spoil the fic, so go and read it. Adding icing to the cake is the sequel, The Return of Ultra Woman . Fine fics, well told.

Nan Smith shows us what happens in the alt-world, when alt-Lois gets alt-Clark's powers in How I Spent My Christmas Vacation - One Year Later . This is part of a series that deals with the adventures of the alt-Clark and alt-Lois, and the series begins, logically, with How I Spent My Christmas Vacation . Don't miss.

It's always fun reading Plot Untwist Challenge Fics, and Anne Spear doesn't disappoint with the snappy Ultra Squirrel . It's laugh-out-loud funny.

Anti-Kryptonite has a change in tone in her excellent Lighter Than Air, Better Than Gravity , where Lois and Clark come to a new understanding of their relationship after the events of "Ultra Woman".

Another reflective fic is Forever by Cindy Leuch.

I think my favorite episode-related fic is Sue S's Flying Lessons , where Sue asks the question, what if the superpower swap had occurred in the second season, before Lois knew that Clark was Superman?
This another episode re-write that was not mentioned here. It's one I've been looking for for a while and I just recently found again. It is called Ultra Matum by Zoomway.

I know in my mind's eye I have the beginning plotting of a version of this story (in terms of the concepts explored as well as a romance element). Basically Lois gets the powers through a lightning strike (she doesn't know Clark is Superman until long after she gets the powers).
She takes on a secret identity. As (in my mind's eye) it takes place somewhere in Season One, Luthor wants to seduce her, Superman wants to date her and Clark is jealous of the "new man" in Lois's life that she talks about in a vague fashion (Lois is just as jealous of the "new woman" in Clark's life not knowing it is she).

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Shelley Long is always good to watch and I agree--the "Ultra Lucille" line is great.

Lois and Clark did a lot with transferring Clark's powers. I'm surprised Jimmy didn't get a share with Veda Doodson's machine. Then again, maybe he did and didn't tell anyone....

The only disappointment I have in this episode is that every time I see Lois in the UW mask, she looks like her cheekbones are two big swollen bruises from an ultra beating.

Shallowford
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Shallowford:
Shelley Long is always good to watch and I agree--the "Ultra Lucille" line is great.
I'm going to have to agree with you totally there! hyper Ooooooh! I like this idea.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm going to have to agree with you totally there! Shelly Long is a terrific actress. Just watch any of those 1980s slapstick comedies she was in, which would have fallen flat on their faces without her in them. (no pun intended.)
Getting the urge to break out the old VHS copy of The Money Pit--Love it hyper ...Shelly Long was great in her role--and I was thrilled when I saw that she'd be a guest; she nailed the part. Of course, Cheers, etc--anyway, she's great!

This was one of my favorite episodes from season 3...I think Lois had already accepted deep down that Clark was Superman, but I don't know if she really grasped the full impact of what that meant until this episode. And for them as a couple, I am so glad that this situation happened BEFORE they were officially engaged. In my opinion, having Lois sort of become Clark/Superman, and for her to truly know what he was going through, always cemented the deal--that for them, there were three 'people' in their relationship--and that they both were fully aware and ready for all that would come, regarding their unique situation. It brought everything full-cirlce for both of them--and as Lois said, it made her love Clark "even more."

Besides all the important lessons they learned about being each other throughout the episode, I loved the fun that this situation inspired....great lines like:

"Cut yourself shaving?" "Repeatedly" (with t.p. stuck to the face, no less smile )

"You don't just like wearing your boxers?" (followed shortly by a bit of X-ray vision blush )

And heading back towards the amazing proposal:
"Who's asking--Lois or Ultra Woman?"
"Who's answering--Clark or Superman?"
"I'm answering"
"I'm waiting"
"Yes" (to that I add......Finally!!! dance )

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard