Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Smiley might just be one of the crazier villains that the show featured. Trying to flood the whole world and to kill most of the world’s population puts his evil scheme above most of the other villains from the show.

This episode is the source of one of my favorite funny moments of the entire series. Jimmy confessing his former crush on Lois never ceases to get a laugh out of me. clap

Lois and Clark finally put aside some of the relationship problems they’ve had over the last couple of episodes. It made for a good ending to this episode, even if they’d have more problems in the next episode.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
IMHO, no discussion of this episode would be complete without a mention of the "flying is a piece of cake" scene; it is one of my favourites of the entire series. I love how open L&C are being with each other. Clark is being his true himself here -- the amalgam of the Clark which he presents to the world and the Superman whom the world sees. I love his casual use of his flight powers both to get comfortable and to illustrate his point, not to mention his sharing a bit of his history and his fears with Lois.

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey, come on. The make up scene, and the intense, HOT kiss has to be the best scene in this episode. Come on. Just look at my signature!!!

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Mrs. Luthor wrote a sexy vignette based on the episode, entitled Just Say No . It delves into what might have happened after Clark inadvertently dropped in on Lois while she was sleeping.

Clark: "Lois, you know, I really hope someday that you learn, that sometimes what it seems like people are doing isn't what they're really doing."
Lois: "What are you, a fortune cookie?"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There are a lot of great lines in this episode. One I particularly like:

CLARK: Lois, I was wrong and I admit it. C'mon, you can't stay mad...
LOIS: Yes I can. You can fly, I can stay mad. It's a gift.

and, in the scene where Clark is complaining to his parents, and Martha is on Lois's side:

JONATHAN: Son, love and marriage are a partnership. Both people are equal in the partnership. Bottom line, they make their decisions together.

CLARK: So you're saying I should go crawling back on my hands and knees.

MARTHA: No, sweetheart. Fly back. It's faster.

How can you not love Martha's tough love at that moment?

And another thing... we get to see Alice in this episode! Or at least as much as we ever see her. I don't think they ever showed Alice's face on any episode.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
And another thing... we get to see Alice in this episode! Or at least as much as we ever see her. I don't think they ever showed Alice's face on any episode.
Nope, Alice does show up in response to Perry's loney heart's ad at the end of S4 (Toy Story), but you're right in guessing that this is the first time we actually see her. Personally (and, yes, I know I'm tooting my own horn), I liked how I wrote Perry's reaction in the taxi to her red hair in "Another Lois". evil Let's just say, she spent all day in the hair salon and got it all cut off and dyed red. wink [Explaining why she has red hair here and is blonde again in Toy Story.]

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
I found the empty headed adoration of Smiley's young followers scary.No one thought killing billions a bad thing. And I was wondering were Lois' red phone got to.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
N
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
N
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
IMHO, no discussion of this episode would be complete without a mention of the "flying is a piece of cake" scene; it is one of my favourites of the entire series.
I first misread this as "the flying piece of cake" scene, and I was like, "Wow, that sounds trippy. How do I not remember that?" wink You make a good point that this was a wonderfully honest offering from Clark.

The villain's "flooding the world" plan was ridiculously campy/ unbelievable, but I agree with everyone that the episode still has some great relationship moments. Then again, bringing more "realism" to the proceedings might not have been good. Even though I use the makeup scene in probably 50% of my videos (throwing themselves into each other so hard they practically collapse against the desk is just cinematically great!), I haven't watched the whole episode in years. But I still remember as a kid/ young adult that seeing that the woman murdered in the tree (I think seeing her limp leg) kind of upset/ scared me more than the villain's unrealistic mass murder plan. :rolleyes:

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Alice was briefly played by Mary Frann. The emotions displayed between her and Perry as they discussed the debris of their marriage could only have been handled by such acting professionals at the top of their game.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by SJH:
I found the empty headed adoration of Smiley's young followers scary.No one thought killing billions a bad thing.
I agree. Though the idea of actually flooding the earth may have been a fantasy storyline, the way his followers were willing to allow him to kill so many people eerily reminds me of some real life examples of cults.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Whoops! I thought I'd already posted something on "Just Say Noah" related fanfics, but I haven't! My bad.

Nan Smith has Just Say... I Love You - "What would have happened if Lois hadn't thought of getting Star to help read that page they found at Larry Smiley's institute in the episode "Just Say Noah"? Find out in this short and steamy story."

Cristina does a Plot Untwist Challenge Fic in her Just Push REW - amusing as all the Untwists are.

I have to give a shout-out to this episode for providing the screen name of one of my favorite authors, Female Hawk . Don't miss her fics.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap

I have to say your fanfic posts are one of my favourite parts of these threads, Io. I always look forward to them. Thanks for taking the time to include them.

LabRat :-)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
Whoops! I thought I'd already posted something on "Just Say Noah" related fanfics, but I haven't! My bad.

Nan Smith has Just Say... I Love You - "What would have happened if Lois hadn't thought of getting Star to help read that page they found at Larry Smiley's institute in the episode "Just Say Noah"? Find out in this short and steamy story."

Cristina does a Plot Untwist Challenge Fic in her Just Push REW - amusing as all the Untwists are.

I have to give a shout-out to this episode for providing the screen name of one of my favorite authors, Female Hawk . Don't miss her fics.
Actually, I think her screen name has other origins, as we pretty much figured out from "Aussie Rules". We only think it relates to this episode.

I have to say the dialogue was good, even if the villain was way over the top.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Actually, I think her screen name has other origins, as we pretty much figured out from "Aussie Rules". We only think it relates to this episode.
That's true, but I can't help but think of this episode, with Larry Smiley referring to the people in his class as "Male and Female Lemur", "Male and Female Badger" and so on. The fact that Corrina's favorite footy team is the Hawks is an awesome and euphonious coincidence. laugh

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have to say your fanfic posts are one of my favourite parts of these threads, Io. I always look forward to them. Thanks for taking the time to include them.
Gosh, thanks! I have read so many great L&C fanfics that I want to share the wealth. My fear is that I'm missing many good ones.

I post the links based on 1) the fics that I really liked and that I remember and 2) Archive Database keywords. Unfortunately, I've read so many fanfics now (thanks to years of great FoLC-work) that many of the fics get conflated or forgotten. Also, I have favorite authors so I tend to re-read their fics and therefore tend to remember those fics more. And many fanfics are related to an episode, but they aren't keyworded as such in the Archive (probably because you can only have 4 keywords, and some fics are so full and rich that they need more keywords.)

So... if you have an episode-related fanfic you'd like to recommend, don't be shy! Post the link.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard