Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I liked the idea of Clark getting the Kerth Award in this episode. One of the things that I liked about “Lois and Clark” is that the show portrayed Clark as a competent reporter. Neither the movies nor “Smallville” went out of their way to show us that Clark was actually good at his job.

Lois’ reaction to Clark being nominated instead of her gave us a few funny moments. However, I did feel just a little bit sorry for Lois not being nominated even though she was being petty.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What this episode also brought up was another way in which Superman could be hurt. We saw in GGGoH his allergy wink to Kryptonite, in ASU that he could be injured if he exerted enough force (although the reasons weren't made all that clear), in Illusions of Grandeur how he was susceptible to magic, PML how he had a weakness for Lois (just thought I'd throw that one in for kicks), and in Vatman how he could be cloned. In WoS, we see how Stoke uses sound against Superman's super hearing.

We also get to see Lois undercover as a Stoke groupie, Lois demonstrating a babbling brook, and her modesty regarding her Kerth Awards (hiding them instead of putting them on display). It isn't until Superman tells her that she should be proud of her accomplishments that she decides to let them out for all to see.

We see someone (Stoke) notice that Superman likes Lois just by the way he looks at her, which in turn allows Lois to see that Superman may still like her for more than a friend, despite what he had told her in BatP.

We also get to see Superman interact with Jimmy more than we did in S1 (where he rescues him during PML... but that's about it).

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmm... I can't think of a lot of "Wall of Sound" related fics off the top of my head, so I went to the database.

Kaethel has a good fic about the walk home from the Kerth Awards in Sweet Surrender .

Alisha Knight tells us what happens when Lois accompanies Clark to the Kerth Awards in her Award-Winning Story .

VirginiaR continues the theme of post-Kerth-ceremony romance with her First Kiss .

And Anonpip tells us Lois's thoughts as Clark wins his Kerth, in Perceptions .

Ann McBride, in A Triangle Built For Two makes Clark realize that he and Lois have to talk.

And the white rose in the episode plays an important role in Sue S.'s Absolute Proof . This is the culmination of the "Proof" series and it really helps if you read the other ones first: Proof ; Proof And Consequences ; Proof Or Dare ; and Moment Of Proof . There is also an nfic goodie in this series, The Naked Proof , which should not be missed.

As one might expect, writers tend to dismiss the A-plot and focus exclusively on the Lois/Clark relationship.

Another fic writer had a later villain steal Lenny Stoke's sound machine from the Museum of Crime and use it to interfere with Superman in what I think was a fic set post-Season-Four, but I forgot the fic and the author. Can anyone remember?

Addendum: Irene Dutch has a fun fic set immediately after "Wall Of Sound". It's The Spying Game and is well worth reading - it's fun!

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
This was a really good edpisode.

I think they did a really good job at integratng the various levels of the plot.

We again see Jimmy get saved by Superman. We also see Clark try to cover up the fact that he was not knocked out by the sound.

I have to say Lois with the bug in her ear is and Clark having to let her to do listening is a nice change of roles.

I also though Dr. Cameron was fairly well done.

One big issue though is that it is Clark who goes down into Stokes lair, but when Lois gets down there, it is Superman who is there. I am half surprised that Lois does not figure out the truth there. Hmm, that is a story idea.

Superman's lines when he comes to see Lois at the end only really work in light of Clark's previous conversation with Superman. Hmm.

I guess I see why they didn't let either of those clue Lois in, but it is surprising that neither did.

John Pack Lambert

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard