Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
This is one of my favorite episodes of the show. I think the introduction of Kryptonite was really well done. Furthermore, Lois going to Smallville and meeting Martha and Jonathan made for some funny moments, and Trask is one of my favorite villains from the show.

I always felt like Kryptonite was more threatening as it was presented here on “Lois and Clark” than it was in some other versions of Superman. The fact that it took so long for Clark’s powers to recover made it seem much more lethal to him than in other versions where he seemed to bounce right back as soon as the Kryptonite was gone.

Lois going to Smallville and meeting Clark’s parents was great, too. I loved seeing Lois have a good time while she was in Smallville. I think this was the first time in the show where we saw Lois having fun with Clark instead of just working with him.

One last thing I’d like to note is that I loved the fight scene between Clark and Trask. Due to the fact that Clark’s powers made any fight with a regular person uneven, we didn’t really get to see a lot of fight scenes on this show. I’m fine with that, but I was glad that they took the opportunity to put this fight scene in there when they had an opportunity to do so. It was really well done.

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I agree that I liked that they made it so he lost his powers when exposed to kryptonite. I think it would have made for some interesting episodes if they had continued to use that ploy in future years. It made the kryptonite something like a real weakness as opposed to a temporary nuisance. Sadly, the "powerless" part of the kryptonite was dropped in the subsequent years, which I kind of disliked.

GGGoH is one of the more enjoyable episodes even now so many years later.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I was trying to think of some of my favorite fanfics that use the events of "GGGOH" - there are just too many to list.

One I read recently was HappyGirl's "Foreshadowing" . Lots of fun.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I, too, love this episode. We get to see Lois and Clark in Clark's comfort zone and Lois out of hers. Lois starts to see Clark as a real person, as a friend, and someone whom she'd really miss if he got shot and killed. Clark realizes that he's not all powerful and that a stupid green rock can hurt him. I think it's good for him, to have Lois start to like him while he's de-Super'd on Kryptonite, because it makes him see that he has more to offer her than just his super status.

There were some very fun characters introduced in this episode who sadly didn't make a reappearance during the whole NK takes over Smallville arc: Rachel Harris, Maisie, and even gruff Wayne Irig. I guess they didn't want to give away to those minor characters that CK=SM, so they must have been out of town. :rolleyes:

Also, Kal-El's spaceship makes its second reappearance since it disappeared from B39's warehouse in Strange Visitor. What happened after Trask was shot? Wouldn't the whole faux "EPA" camp be considered a crime scene? Or not, because the shooting happened over at the Kents as opposed to the Irigs? Is that how B39 were able to abscond with it yet another time? (so, that Mindy Church could pick up at an Evil Yard Sale in S3?) But they *did* kidnap Wayne and hold him at their camp, so that would make it a crime scene. So, I'm guessing it was being taken down as Trask was the Kent's, except after Lois gets freed by the EPA woman, Lois does mention on the CB that the camp was "empty". Was Trask the only member of B39 still at the Kents when he and Clark starting fighting? Did B39 abandon him and start breaking up camp (on or off Trask's orders)? So, my question was, how did B39 get away with Clark's spaceship, yet a second time? ( mecry Poor Clark.) I've always felt this left B39 open to come back and cause more problems for Clark/Superman and Lois, but sadly that storyline was dropped.

The one problem I had with this episode was the fact that the big chunk of Kryptonite exploded into dust directly over the Kent's pond, in which Clark then fell and fought Trask, and yet none of those fragments ever seemed to bother him or get into and poison the Kent's water table / well. I touch on both of these topics in Missing Lois (coming soon - and super G.E.'d! - to an Archives near you).

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Line dancing was really big at the time. Seeing Lois and Clark strut their stuff during the Smallville Corn Festival made the budding relationship real and honest. It is also one of the few time Lois mentions having a friend outside of work.

Most fun of all? The same dress Lois wore was in my closet at the time. Ah memories...

All in all a very enjoyable episode. As was mentioned earlier, still a joy to watch after all these years.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
How can you not love a guy who dips his cookies in his milk?

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
This episode is one of my favorites.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
The way Kryptonite was handled in this episode and Fall of the House of Luthor made sense. However when we moved into the second season and Clark stopping a tanker just minutes after being shot with a Kryptonuite bullet it did not work any more. I think they should have stayed with longer recovery delay, and left Carlin and the double at large to come back again.

John Pack Lambert
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, I mentioned this briefly over on my All Things Jimmy Thread but I'm going to ask it here too, because it pertains to this episode. Why would Jimmy think that using the signal watch would work in contacting Superman if he's never met Superman and told him that's what the watch is for? I mean, we the viewer knows and Clark knows that CK=SM, but Jimmy doesn't. And after discovering that it works, *why*... for the love of everything out there... didn't Clark suggest that Lois get one too?

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The one problem I had with this episode was the fact that the big chunk of Kryptonite exploded into dust directly over the Kent's pond, in which Clark then fell and fought Trask, and yet none of those fragments ever seemed to bother him or get into and poison the Kent's water table.
Excellent point, Virginia! Dandello wrote a great fic explaining this - "Paradoxes" . It's on fanfiction.net.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
Excellent point, Virginia! Dandello wrote a great fic explaining this - "Paradoxes" . It's on fanfiction.net.
I read it when he posted it Here (Paradoxes TOC) wink and really liked it. clap

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
In this episode Trask tells Ms. Sherman his theory about Kryptonite:

TRASK: I have reason to believe that there's a very important meteorite here in Smallville.

MS. SHERMAN: Meteorite? Why do you need to keep it such a secret?

TRASK: This... <showing her Superman's Space Cradle> This, Ms. Sherman, was retrieved from Smallville, Kansas 1966, not far from here. The meteorite probably landed at the same time, but it wasn't discovered until this recent storm. Follow me so far?

MS. SHERMAN: <nods>

TRASK: It's reasonable to assume that this meteorite is probably from the same planet as Superman, the planet Krypton. <picks up file> It's all right here. "Not of Earthly orgin. Periodic element 126. Emmits an extremely high band radiation that doesn't seem to affect humans. However, it's my theory, that if a Kryptonian is exposed to an piece of this material, for any length of time, the result could be lethal.
So, my question is WHY would Jason Trask think this? (I mean, any reason that doesn't point to Trask's sanity or lack thereof.) It's not known that Krypton was destroyed by anyone on Earth until Clark learns about it in "Foundling", which happens months later. Why would a meteorite journey with a spaceship on a normal mission? Is it common that rocks are pulled away from the Earth's surface whenever we shoot a rocket into space, following it around, and coming back to Earth with it when it lands? I'm guessing that's unlikely. So, WHY would Trask think this? Is it just an assumption that the meteorite came from Krypton based solely on where the meteorite was discovered and what the lab report says? Or was there more to it than that? Did B39 know more about Krypton than even Clark? <cue eerie music>

VirginiaR.
---
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I saw an argument a while back that, given the amount of kryptonite on Earth, either the planet Krypton was larger than our solar system or the kryptonite was deliberately sent with Clark's ship for some reason. The idea makes sense to me.

What if kryptonite were part of the ship as a power source and some remained inside it somewhere for Trask to find? From the construction I think an alien would be able to figure out that uranium is necessary for a nuclear submarine to operate, but the shielding and safeguards show we wouldn't want to have contact with it. The shielding would be a clue for Trask that the stuff would be harmful to a Kryptonian.

I like the idea that kryptonite was part of the ship's life support system. Shielded and in controlled doses and with no other energy source, the kryptonite kept Clark alive. Here on Earth and with an abundance of energy stored in his body the kryptonite is dangerous to Clark.

Shallowford
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by Shallowford:
What if kryptonite were part of the ship as a power source and some remained inside it somewhere for Trask to find? From the construction I think an alien would be able to figure out that uranium is necessary for a nuclear submarine to operate, but the shielding and safeguards show we wouldn't want to have contact with it. The shielding would be a clue for Trask that the stuff would be harmful to a Kryptonian.

I like the idea that kryptonite was part of the ship's life support system. Shielded and in controlled doses and with no other energy source, the kryptonite kept Clark alive. Here on Earth and with an abundance of energy stored in his body the kryptonite is dangerous to Clark.
I think that theory is used in the current comics universe (at least, the kryptonite was housed in a small section that was considered the power section of the ship. They (the Superman Revenge Squad) seemed to need the SHIP to get the kryptonite. I think it was implied that the power source was the kryptonite.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Shallowford:
I saw an argument a while back that, given the amount of kryptonite on Earth, either the planet Krypton was larger than our solar system or the kryptonite was deliberately sent with Clark's ship for some reason. The idea makes sense to me.

This is such a cool idea. I haven't heard that Kryptonite theory before. clap Me, likey! laugh It really makes Kryptonite more understandable to us lay people, and why all those scientists over at Lex Labs (and other evil companies) keep trying to use it as a power source.

VirginiaR.
---
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Some more "GGGOH"-related fics:

ML Thompson's Morning Chores is a little bit of romance that occurs during that frightening day.

Terry Leatherwood's The Green, Green Haunting of Home shows us how Martha Kent and Rachel Harris might have reacted to the stressful events of home invasion, assault, kidnapping, and having to shoot to kill. A good exploration of stuff that was elided over in the show.

Another character study is David's Not Of A Hero . "She knew she would stay if he needed her. Her friend, who she loved."

HappyGirl's Foreshadowing has an interesting premise - if L&C have future knowledge of what is to happen with Trask on the Kent Farm, what would they do to forestall that?

L
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
L
this was indeed one of my favorites of season 1 like told above they introduced Kryptonite in a good way, I also like the moment when she called Jonathan a cross-dresser, not knowing it was Clarks father :p
The fight was one of the best in the series.
Trask was a smart villain

* once a Lois and Clark fan, always a Lois and Clark fan *

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard