Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I debated whether to watch “Strange Visitor” or “Neverending Battle” next since they were aired out of order originally. Since Neverending Battle was supposed to be the second episode and makes more sense as a follow-up to the first episode, I decided to watch that one first.

One of the things I liked about this episode was the comedy involved in it. There are a lot of little funny moments sprinkled throughout this episode, and that’s what makes it fun to watch.

Lois was definitely played as much meaner in this episode than in most episodes, but I like that she does have a couple of nice moments. Her talk with Lucy let us know that she at least had some regret over stealing Clark’s story. I also liked her comments about why the world needs Superman.

The plot of Luthor testing Superman’s powers was interesting, and it did a lot to further the Superman vs. Lex Luthor storyline. I thought the scene where Superman confronts Lex was really fun to watch because we get to see Superman scare Lex with the bullet, and scare tactics aren't often done by Superman.

I also enjoyed the Jimmy/Perry side story. To me, I think the best part was that Clark standing up to Lois inspired Jimmy to stand up to Perry. It’s always good to see Clark inspire people.

There were a lot of funny scenes, but I think the funniest scene was when Lois comes in covered in dirt at the end of the episode. Teri Hatcher did a very good job making that scene funny, but I think that the reactions of Jimmy and Cat added some humor to the scene as well. If you’ve never taken the time to focus on Cat and Jimmy because you were too busy watching what Lois is doing, I recommend focusing on Cat and Jimmy next time. Their reactions to Lois add to the scene.

One last thing I liked about this episode is that it established that Clark wasn’t going to take anything from Lois. By the end of the episode, it’s very clear that she’s gained some respect for him.

Any opinions on this episode?

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I didn't realize until recently that "Never-Ending Battle" came before "Strange Visitor", except for the fact that it didn't make sense (plot wise) that it came afterwards. I wondered why Clark assumed it was Luthor (despite the thin evidence) behind the tests when it could have just have easily been Trask and B39.

Does anyone know why they moved "Strange Visitor" forward? Was it because of the Kiss?

It was in NB that Cat looks like she knows more than she's saying, with her looking extra close at the blow-up pictures of Superman, some of her facial expressions, including her line to Clark after he gives up his Superman persona, "You look like you've lost your best friend." The "You look like you could use a pick-me-up" line works better if taken after their supposed tryst at her apartment, but if this hadn't happened yet. dizzy

Perry is a bit passive-agressive to Jimmy in this episode, but luckily for both it's just a ploy to get kid to stand up for himself. Perry shows us his nosy self getting involved with his reporter's lives in that respect; he goes further in 'Strange Visitor'.

I love the scene between Lucy and Lois. It shows how much Lois cares (has fallen for) Superman, it shows her human side as her sister, and it shows her stubborn side.

I think Lois gets some come-up-ence after stealing Eduardo's story (Cleveland), but then she just can't help in going after Jimmy's idea as well. Maybe she'll have learned to listen when she partner/friend calls to her as she's leaving work. Nah!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Blogger
Blogger
L
Neverending Battle is one of my favorite episodes in S1, mostly because it sets the tone for this season. While the Pilot layed the ground for the Supeman story, NE set the ground to L&C's relationship - Clark is, indeed, not the bumbling idiot of the Reeve movies, and he won't take Lois' c%$p lying down. I like the fact that it also shows us that Clark is a good reporter - he can investigate and find answers just as well as Lois.

Funny note: a couple of days ago I watched Dead Lois Walking. When they were in the car making their escape Lois was enraged by the DA calling her "Mad Dog Killer" and "just Mad Dog". Hey, it's not as if you've never been called Mad Dog before, is it?

Lonnie

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A really fun fic based on "Neverending Battle" is Darth Michael's The Wild-Goose Chase . Don't miss it.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Actually, even the kiss just seems worse when you redo the order.

Lois does not seem to be a good investigative reporter though. Why does she go to the supposed sight of Superman's ship all dressed up? She is at home when she gets the map to the ship, so why does she wear such an impractical outfit?

I think I know why she is all dressed up. If this is really Superman's spaceship, there is a high probability that Superman is there, and Lois wants to be looking her best when she sees Superman. At least that is an explanation for the high heels and everything else. She probably even put on makeup just before leaving her apartment.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A few more fics related to "Neverending Battle":

The always-reliable ML Thompson tells us what might have happened in those three days when Clark hung up the Suit because of Luthor's tests in Disruptions In Time .

Barb Beverly lets Lois see Clark's actions in retrospect when she reads his journal (and vice versa) in Double Diaries 2 - Neverending Battle .

And there is my own Get The Story! .

L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by John Lambert:
Lois does not seem to be a good investigative reporter though. Why does she go to the supposed sight of Superman's ship all dressed up? She is at home when she gets the map to the ship, so why does she wear such an impractical outfit?

I think I know why she is all dressed up. If this is really Superman's spaceship, there is a high probability that Superman is there, and Lois wants to be looking her best when she sees Superman. At least that is an explanation for the high heels and everything else. She probably even put on makeup just before leaving her apartment.
It looked to me like Lois was wearing the same clothes as what she'd worn to work the previous day, although it's admittedly hard to tell since they're covered in filth. I always assumed she'd found the map as soon as she'd arrived at her apartment, and since she didn't want to waste a single second when she could be out there tracking down Superman's spaceship, she left without bothering to change into more appropriate clothes.

That said, I do like your idea of Lois wanting to look her best when she sees Superman. That could be another reason for not bothering to change into something less fancy.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by Lois_Lane_Fan:
Originally posted by John Lambert:
[b] Lois does not seem to be a good investigative reporter though. Why does she go to the supposed sight of Superman's ship all dressed up? She is at home when she gets the map to the ship, so why does she wear such an impractical outfit?

It looked to me like Lois was wearing the same clothes as what she'd worn to work the previous day, although it's admittedly hard to tell since they're covered in filth. I always assumed she'd found the map as soon as she'd arrived at her apartment, and since she didn't want to waste a single second when she could be out there tracking down Superman's spaceship, she left without bothering to change into more appropriate clothes.

That said, I do like your idea of Lois wanting to look her best when she sees Superman. That could be another reason for not bothering to change into something less fancy. [/b]
I think you have a good point about her not wanting to waste time to change.

John Pack Lambert
G
Blogger
Blogger
G
From what i remember.. this ep was placed 3rd because of some issue with the FX (the bullet i think) or maybe the cape? It was the introduction to the cleavage suit but aside from that i love this episode.

Lois helps save Superman without knowing she did.

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I think you are right--I remember hearing it was special effects with the bullet, they needed more time to finalize that scene--so the episodes were switched around in order...

Now where did I hear that? Can't for the life of me remember--details have a way of meshing all together wallbash

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
G
Blogger
Blogger
G
I can't remember where i heard it either, but I think that was one reason. I also heard that the wardrobe department had lost the suit from the pilot so that's why they ended up with the awful cleavage cape/suit.

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Interesting! Thanks for the info--remembered that suit, but didn't know anything else about it smile ....

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard