Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#194595 01/13/12 06:23 PM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Valentine's Day is coming up, so my friend and I decided we should make human heart shaped cookies for our class. I wanted to test out an icing recipe, so I made a cookie cutter out of bristle board and aluminum foil and made some Super Cookies!

My frosting was a little runny though. Next time, less egg white // more sugar laugh

Also, I made blue frosting and realized I had nowhere to put it, so maybe next time I'll make big round cookies with the blue background and the emblem in the center....

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Don't mind my messy counter! I can't reach the cupboard to put that crock pot away and my dad's working nights lol

.talk nerdy to me.
#194596 01/13/12 07:04 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap Awesome! I made little Superman style cookies when I did my Christmas cookies. They weren't detailed though - just the basic blue and red.

Yours look good enough to eat! laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#194597 01/13/12 07:10 PM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
clap Awesome! I made little Superman style cookies when I did my Christmas cookies. They weren't detailed though - just the basic blue and red.

Yours look good enough to eat! laugh
Aww I bet they were cute! I thought about not doing detail and just doing like half red and half blue, but I was feeling crafty lol

.talk nerdy to me.
#194598 01/14/12 03:21 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
drool These look good enough to eat! drool

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#194599 01/14/12 05:26 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm amazed you got your red, so red! Usually red frosting looks pink.
I had the same problem until I started buying the concentrated food gels. You mix this glob of color into the icing and stir it in. I think Wilton makes it.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#194600 01/14/12 06:51 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Haha! Awesome! I did that a while back when I went through a baking phase (about the only type of cooking I can manage blush ), and did some Superman cookies-- though not like these! Mine were just circles with messy Superman symbols on them. But again, they turned out messy, so my favorites I made were ice cream cone cookies. laugh

Good job!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#194601 01/14/12 07:14 PM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I'm amazed you got your red, so red! Usually red frosting looks pink.
I had the same problem until I started buying the concentrated food gels. You mix this glob of color into the icing and stir it in. I think Wilton makes it.
I used the Club House droplet food dyes, but it took like half a bottle of the dye to make it that red. The second batch of red was much more pink, but I have a bulb out in my kitchen (also can't reach; be 5 foot eff all is a pain). I wasn't sure how to measure what 3 ounces of egg white was so I just assumed an egg was about an ounce and with the yolk removed I should use four egg whites, so it was exceptionally runny. I just use 3oz of egg whites, 4 1/2 cups of confectioners sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla.

Originally Posted by VirginiaR:
I'm a big (huge) baker (it was my previous obsession before discovering L&C). This is my recipe for "Royal Icing" (borrowed heavily... okay, all they way, from C&H Sugar)
I'm not very domestic AT ALL. I'm Italian though, so cooking is basically programmed into my brain at an early age. I don't really like cooking because it's usually for 10 people minimum, but I've discovered a love of baking. My thing is more so for the design element rather than the cooking part. My sister makes the most amazing cakes though, so I'm sort of inspired by how much fun she has with that. This is a carousel that she made for my niece's 5th birthday. It's on a lazy susan so it actually rotates.

[Linked Image]

I'm def. going to have to try your icing recipe though! Mine did harden eventually, but it not fast enough, as you can probably see from all of the red drops on my counter. grumble

Originally Posted by VirginiaR:
When decorating cookies I use those plastic paint brushes from craft stores. Let me know if you want the cookie recipe as well. They're really good!
I never even thought of that! I was just using a plastic sandwich bag with a very tiny hole in it. I would LOVE to see your cookie recipe! I used just a random shortbread one that I found online. (Same one I used around Christmas time to make trees for my class. My icing turned out much better that time though.)

Originally posted by Mouserocks:
Haha! Awesome! I did that a while back when I went through a baking phase (about the only type of cooking I can manage blush ), and did some Superman cookies-- though not like these! Mine were just circles with messy Superman symbols on them. But again, they turned out messy, so my favorites I made were ice cream cone cookies. laugh

Good job!
Haha, aww! I wonder if you scored the shape into the cookie before baking them if it would make a difference? You'd have to make pretty thick cookies though, I suppose?

.talk nerdy to me.
#194602 01/14/12 07:50 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
YAY! Another short person! I'm also only 5 foot! I really do like the concentrated gels. I once used an entire bottle of red drops and the icing STILL came out pink. My husband STILL teases me about it.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

#194603 01/14/12 08:44 PM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
YAY! Another short person! I'm also only 5 foot! I really do like the concentrated gels. I once used an entire bottle of red drops and the icing STILL came out pink. My husband STILL teases me about it.
I think I know what you're talking about. They're like tiny jars almost? My sister used one for a dark purple on a tinkerbell cake once if it's the same thing in thinking of.

Haha at least being short means not worrying about having a double chin in photos because everyone's looking down at you lol.

.talk nerdy to me.
#194604 01/15/12 06:01 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by MrsLuthor:
[b] YAY! Another short person! I'm also only 5 foot! I really do like the concentrated gels. I once used an entire bottle of red drops and the icing STILL came out pink. My husband STILL teases me about it.
I think I know what you're talking about. They're like tiny jars almost? My sister used one for a dark purple on a tinkerbell cake once if it's the same thing in thinking of.

Haha at least being short means not worrying about having a double chin in photos because everyone's looking down at you lol. [/b]
Yeah, that sounds like them. Tiny little jars filled with colored gel. They work really well.

laugh about the double chins! wink

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

#194605 01/16/12 01:27 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Great cookies! I'm not a kitchen person (that's why I loved Lois in the show, I could almost relate to burning water) but I can certainly appreciate good food laugh

And by the way we should create a club, or something. I'm about 1,51m (not sure how much in feet and inches, but almost 5 ft, I think).

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
#194606 01/16/12 02:36 PM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
They look great!! Good job!

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#194607 01/16/12 02:46 PM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Originally posted by Olive:
Great cookies! I'm not a kitchen person (that's why I loved Lois in the show, I could almost relate to burning water) but I can certainly appreciate good food laugh

And by the way we should create a club, or something. I'm about 1,51m (not sure how much in feet and inches, but almost 5 ft, I think).
Omg! We're like a bunch of Tiny Tina dolls!

.talk nerdy to me.
#194608 01/16/12 03:35 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by MrsLuthor:
Omg! We're like a bunch of Tiny Tina dolls!
rotflol rotflol rotflol

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard