Print Thread
#194413 07/11/11 08:10 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
[img]http://cdn.svcs.c2.uclick.com/c2/9b95db3089bb012ee3c400163e41dd5b[/img]

It looks like Corrina's AR team is playing against Metropolis' American football team -- in a game of baseball, no less. I'm not sure why No-Doze would be needed. I would expect that that cross-cultural game would prove fascinating to any fan of either team.

Sorry, when I saw the team names, I couldn't resist sharing this cartoon. Yes, I really do understand the humour in the cartoon; I just chose to ignore it for the purposes of injecting some lcficmbs-related humour of my own into it.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
Thanks, Lynn smile

OK, I admit, I didn't get it at first blush 32 doesn't seem like a score that would induce boredom. But then I realised that baseball doesn't have time limits like footy or even cricket.

Perhaps the parents need to recruit a couple of really great pitchers. That could be cheaper than the No-Doze!

(And BTW, Australia play Ireland in 'International Rules' which is a mix of Aussie Rules footy and Gaelic football.)

Corrina.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Female Hawk:
Thanks, Lynn smile
My pleasure. smile

OK, I admit, I didn't get it at first blush 32 doesn't seem like a score that would induce boredom. But then I realised that baseball doesn't have time limits like footy or even cricket.
Those are contributing factors. But the key elements are the phrase 'Little League', the bungling that is taking place on the field (note the boy with the his hand in the air trying -- but failing miserably -- to make the catch), and the fact in baseball and softball, the numbers represent the actual number of runs. (That is, the number of times a player has made it around all of the bases and returned home.) 32 is a very high number. Plus, baseball is a relatively slow game to begin with.

But the real reason I posted this was simply the names of the teams. I was more amused by the confluence of the names of your favourite team and the Metropolis' football team than I was by the intended humour of the cartoon.

Joy,
Lynn

Perhaps the parents need to recruit a couple of really great pitchers. That could be cheaper than the No-Doze!

(And BTW, Australia play Ireland in 'International Rules' which is a mix of Aussie Rules footy and Gaelic football.)

Corrina. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Kerth
Kerth
Plus, baseball is a relatively slow game to begin with.
I doubt it's as slow as Test Cricket, which if you don't understand it or have little interest is a bit like watching paint dry for 30 hours. (yes, a test takes 5 days, 6 hours a day.)

But if you take the time to understand the subplots and subtle plans and games within games, it is fascinating.

Wouldn't Little League games have modified rules to save the parents from this situation laugh

Corrina.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Female Hawk:
I doubt it's as slow as Test Cricket, which if you don't understand it or have little interest is a bit like watching paint dry for 30 hours. (yes, a test takes 5 days, 6 hours a day.)
Ugh! shock

Wouldn't Little League games have modified rules to save the parents from this situation laugh
As you know, I'm the wrong person to ask sports-related questions, but I can say that I noticed the scoreboard only had slots for six innings, as opposed to baseball's usual nine innings. I don't know whether that is an accurate depiction of a little League scoreboard or whether the cartoonist did that merely to make the cartoon more legible. Perhaps someone who actually knows something about Little League baseball could answer your question.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I know a tiny bit about Little League. Yes, they only play six innings (as opposed to nine in the major and minor leagues).

Also, at least in the LL games I've been to, there is a "mercy rule" - if your team is beating the other by 10 or more runs, and you've played at least 4 innings, the other team automatically loses to spare them from having to drag out the whole thing for another two innings.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard