Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#194207 12/25/10 04:23 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Today I won a round of Apples to Apples by using "Lois Lane" as the noun to match the adjective "spunky." My 15 y.o. daughter took offense on Lois's behalf. She thinks Lois would be insulted to be called spunky, or feisty, because those are inherently condescending words. After all, nobody ever called a man spunky or feisty.

Just food for thought. smile

This *is* my happily ever after.
#194208 12/26/10 08:12 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hmm... good point. My first reaction was, that's how Lois is usually described on the boards. The second was, R2-D2 is supposedly male and called feisty.

But on second, or third, glance, spunky and feisty do seem to apply to the physically a bit more diminutive characters.

It's also interesting that the example in Merriam Webster uses female pronouns for feisty.

Either way, from the translations and word-use, I'd say spunky isn't condescending while feistiness seems to be unsuited for entertaining polite company. Also, they certainly describe the Lois we know on the boards laugh

Michael, who has no idea wither this helped or confused matters even more huh

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard