Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#194032 05/28/10 03:17 PM
Karen Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
UGO made a Top 50 list of SciFi TV Shows of All Time . Our beloved show made #50 on the list.

Okay, let’s get this out of the way right now: Lois & Clark is better than Smallville. And yes, I know we’ve lost all of our Smallville fanboys and girls right off the bat, but the Tom Welling soap opera took itself far too seriously, and went on for far too long to be any good. On the other hand, Lois & Clark’s solution to doing a superhero show on a TV budget was to play up the romance and fun of a comic book, rather than the angst and chintzy effects. Giving the show a chance to move the mythology forward was always the right choice, rather than the blue balls of a – almost ten years down the road – never reached climax.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
It came in behind Alf?!? smile1

Joy,
Lynn

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
@Lynn: I know, right? But yeah, at least it made the list.

*throws darts at Alf's picture*

Just got married (21st June 2010).
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
It came in behind Alf?!? razz
LOL!! That was my thought exactly. I was like-- seriously?? But yeah, as Sayo says, at least it made the list!

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Since LnC wasn't primarily meant to be science fiction, I think it's good that it made the list.

But Star Trek with Kirk and Spock was only number 14? I thought that was the defining sci-fi TV show of all time. And George Reeves' 1950s Adventures of Superman was number 31, that much better than Lois and Clark? I don't think so!

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
@Ann: I guess they were trying to be respectful because it's black and white. laugh

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
There are more than a few clunkers above our beloved show I'd challenge. goofy Stargate: Universe - are you kidding me?

Nice to see Fringe so far up the list though. My new pleasure.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by TOC:
But Star Trek with Kirk and Spock was only number 14? I thought that was the defining sci-fi TV show of all time.
I agree wholeheartedly. I think it should have been in the top three, along with Babylon 5 and The Twilight Zone. huh

Joy,
Lynn

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
@Labrat: I think they see Lois & Clark as more of a romantic comedy than SciFi. Still... *sigh*

Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks, Karen, fro the link. Some old favourites there. smile

But why was Big Bang not listed? It's pretty clear that Sheldon is an
alien. Not to mention the crew of earthpod Sheldon are so obviously sci-fi fans. laugh Just saying - major omission, imo.

c.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by ccmalo:
But why was Big Bang not listed? It's pretty clear that Sheldon is an
alien.
<chuckle> Actually, Sheldon strikes me as having Asperger's Syndrome. (It is sort of an "autism light".)

Joy,
Lynn

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Saori Tanaka:
@Labrat: I think they see Lois & Clark as more of a romantic comedy than SciFi. Still... *sigh*
Yeah, L&C will unfortunately never rank high on any "genre" list because it's such a mix of genres. Though I remember back in 1996 they made #2 or #3 on TV Guide's "Best Couple" list, so that's something. smile

Molly
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
@LNCroxmysox: It's number one to us in everything. I think that's something, too. smile

party

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard