Next Thread
Print Thread
#193875 05/02/10 11:06 AM
A
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
A
...on Facebook or Twitter? Or on another platform I can't think of?

I know there are a few groups dedicated to FoLCs and Lois & Clark on Facebook, and that we now have our own Wiki, but I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to set up our own Facebook page or Twitter account for FoLCs to follow. We could use it to let FoLCs know about new fics and other productions on the boards or archive, Kerth news, and any other FoLCdom related announcements I can’t think of right now.

I'm aware that none of this would exactly be new, most of these items appear on these boards and I assume other FoLCs get the weekly fanfic updates land in their inbox as I do, but it would be a way to keep up with modern social networking.

After a quick search on both Twitter and Facebook, I found a few fandoms had started doing similar things, mainly on Twitter, although none really seemed to be up and running. So if FoLCdom did expand into these mediums, we would essentially be trailblazers. Either that, or it’s been tried and turned out to be a bad idea.

Of course, if no-one would be interested in setting-up and maintaining such accounts, or in following the fandom, such a venture would pointless. Any thoughts?

- Alisha (who sometimes has odd ideas like this, but normally keeps them to herself)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I would definitely follow. I'm not on that board that much these days but like so many others I'm addicted to twitter and I would like to know when a story has been updated. So I'm all for FoLCs keeping up with modern times

Procrastinators unite! Tomorrow.
Features Writer
Features Writer
I think it is a good idea if you were to make it public on Facebook so people would have the option of looking at the page without actually joining. I am very careful about who knows my full name -- and I know others are, too -- and therefore don't belong to the FoLC pages.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I would LOVE a Twitter!!!

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
Kerth
Kerth
Neither, I'm afraid - already having trouble keeping up with my friends on Livejournal, don't want to add more.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I came across this thread a couple of weeks ago and have been chewing on the idea for the archive ever since. For a while I've been trying to figure out the best way to add an RSS feed to the site for story updates, and Twitter looks to be the easiest solution, with the bonus of Twittery goodness. So after trying a test and conferring with LabRat, @lcfanfic goes off into the world. Thanks much, Alisha, for the idea. smile It's not odd at all -- it's fantastic!

I'm just getting into Twitter myself, and it's amazing to think what people could be doing with it.

Alisha, I really like your idea about using social networking to make FoLCdom announcements. The part about Kerth messages sounds particularly interesting to me, especially because this year I was late posting links and info about the Kerths, so the archive visitors who don't frequent the message boards didn't get as early a heads-up.

It certainly would be cool to see some kind of general LnC fanfic Twitter group spring up, something that could cover the gamut of message boards, sites, lists and groups.

In doing some reading on Twitter in the last couple of weeks I came across a free (so far) Twitter intermediary service called HootSuite , which lets multiple people share a single Twitter account. That could be a handy tool for a fledgling Twitter group bringing together lots of tweeters.

We have a wiki? When did we get a wiki? Somebody have the URL for that? I could send out a tweet alerting archive readers. smile

Thanks again!

Lauren

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard