Next Thread
Print Thread
#193481 06/19/09 08:50 AM
B
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
B
I was reading one of the fics on the archives, and it happened to be one of the stories in which LnC have kids, and i got to thinking, when exactly is a good time to tell a child, "your father is superman"? It seems like Clark would have to be very careful about what he does in the house for a long while, especially if he has many kids, cause even if one is old enough to know he still would have to keep up appearances with the younger ones. I would also imagine that having superman as a dad would sort have be like having santa as a dad.

#193482 06/22/09 02:35 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, I would say maybe 12 or 14, when they can understand the importance of keeping the secret.

I've read some fics where L&C's children were still very young (8-10 years old), they were planning to wait but usually at this age or 12 at most they would find out by themselves. I think maybe at psicological level they'll find out when they are ready. Because even if they want to wait a little longer to tell them, you can't keep such a secret at your own house, as careful as you'll try to be at some point you'll slip...

Just my 2 cents...

Carolyn smile

Pisco and Ceviche ->100% PERUVIAN. Never doubt that.
#193483 06/22/09 02:33 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Up until 7 or so, it's really a waste to take kids to a magic show, because everything is magic to them. That's why they can so easily believe in Santa Claus. So if they were told their dad was Superman, they might assume that everyone's dad had super powers, and it is something that happens when you grow up. Then, when they learn everyone is not super, they might refuse to believe it about their dad too. I had actually begun to outline a vignette with that plot. (Not that I ever get around to actually finishing any fics.)

There is also a change in thinking and understanding that takes place at about age 14. I remember once reading guidelines for allowing a young person's testimony in court, and I think it was assumed that anyone over 14 could be considered a competent witness; anyone younger might be competent, but it was not assumed automatically. I have to admit that I read this over 10 years ago and my recollection is fuzzy, but my recent experience with kids tells me that high schoolers do understand things a lot better than middle schoolers.

So 14 might be a good age, except for the fact that Clark's powers began to appear at puberty, and girls mature sooner than boys. Some girls may show the first signs of puberty as early as age 9! So the question is whether any inherited powers will begin to appear before the child is mentally prepared to keep the secret. With luck, the two will converge at about 12 or 13.

Just my 2 cents.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard