Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
A friend of mine gave me some back issues of Health to read through. I was reading the June 2007 issue when I read this article.

"Surprising research from the well-known Nurses' Health Study shows that two servings a week of (full-fat ice cream) may reduce a woman's risk of infertility by about 38 percent. Scientists aren't sure why, but the fat in ice cream or other full-fat dairy (or a substance inside the fat) might make the ovaries work better, says lead researcher Jorge E. Chavarro, MD, a research fellow in the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health.

"Another recent study by Chavarro found that women who got their daily iron from pasta (as well as cereal, legumes, fruits, and vegetables) had lower infertility risks than those who got their iron from beef, chicken, and fish. Why? Iron in pata may encourage egg development, and it's possible that the fat and protein in meat limits iron absorption."

The article goes on to say that two-daily serving of low-fat or nonfat dairy increase infertility risk as do transfats and caffeine.

Knowing how often Lois digs a tablespoon directly into the carton and how frisky Clark gets around pasta, maybe our favorite heroes might have a hidden advantage when it comes to the fertility department. <wink, wink, nudge, nudge>

Elisabeth

G
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
G
Yeah...but you also have to factor in how much coffee Lois drinks...But still...I would think that all the pasta and ice cream more than take care of that...

"Madness is like gravity...it just takes a little push." ~The Joker
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
/me senses fic coming but has no intentions of writing it herself

/me sees:

"But Clark, the doc said that ice cream is *good* for our chances of getting pregnant"

"I know but 14 tubs?"

"Well, we get to eat lots of pasta too"

"Oh, I know!"

Carol

E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
Many apologies. I had thought I posted this in the Off Topic forum.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You did, but it seemed to be turning more to discussion about L&C than about the research, so I thought it fit better here (or, given the way the convo was going, maybe Fic Related?). Sorry, I should have notified you of the move.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
No problem. When in doubt I like to err on the side of caution.

Elisabeth

Features Writer
Features Writer
I'd argue this topic belongs in either off-topic or fic-related because it isn't related to the show -- considering it was canceled before we ever learned if they actually could have kids after all and also that this may be a sensitive topic to some people.

And furthermore, a new health study seems to be released every day regarding fertility -- stay off your cellphone or you'll be infertile ... don't eat carbs or you'll be infertile ... no, wait, eat carbs or you'll be infertile ... don't drink caffeine or you'll miscarry ... no, wait, some caffeine is fine ... etc. etc. etc. -- that I take it with a grain of salt and look to my personal doctor for real information.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'd argue this topic belongs in either off-topic or fic-related because it isn't related to the show -- considering it was canceled before we ever learned if they actually could have kids after all and also that this may be a sensitive topic to some people.
Well, if we took account of the sensitivity of topics to some people, I doubt anyone would post anything. wink And I'm not certain why it would be any the less sensitive to those people if posted in Fic Related or Off Topic.

I think this folder is the most appropriate for it and I can see why Paul moved it in here. Elisabeth's original post was all about linking a health study to the show and its characters. Subsequent posts took much the same line, discussing how the conclusions of this study might affect LNC.

It's not OT because it has a connection to the show. It's not appropriate for FR because the discussion isn't related to fanfic - I don't think Carol mentioning she might write one is quite enough fanfic content to count. laugh

Even if the thread drifted significantly from this point on onto OT or FR themes, the original post was still LNC-related and so this folder is where the thread would remain.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
EditorJax wrote:
I take no position on which folder this discussion belongs to. But I do take the position that they had to be compatible somehow, because their descendants founded Utopia, from which H. G. Wells "rescued" Tempus, who has bedeviled our favorite couple in many stories beyond those arcs from the show. No kids, no Utopia, no Tempus, no "500 channels and nothing on TV!" It is fanon that their descendants have Kryptonian powers (either all of them or some of them or some who have bits and pieces of them), and that means that Lois and Clark had children.

As for adopting an infant from New Krypton, that's certainly possible, but there's no hint in the series canon that such a thing happened. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, of course, but I vote for Rocky Road and Spaghetti-O's! Twirl that fork and kiss her ice cream-chilled lips again, Clark!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard