Print Thread
T
Tank Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
T
Well, this is it. The end of the end.

I appreciate all the support the gentle readers have given me on this story, and all my efforts over the past few years.

It's been fun.

Comments can go here.

Tank (who is getting ready for his upcoming sabbatical from fanfiction writing)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You made it! And just in time! Well done! goofy

Although this was a dramatic/action story, I loved the little touches of humour and WAFFiness you included. Very nice indeed, especially Bill moaning on the floor while Lois took time to kiss Clark. sloppy

Now, what's this about yet another retirement? I somehow don't think that will be very popular... wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey great tie up to all the loose ends Tank. The clone was pretty scary so I am glad he is gone. And they all lived happily ever after. I like that kind of ending. Happy New Year. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Tank,
Thanks for sharing this. I really enjoyed the ride!

Avia

"I get it, you're a ghost. You're dead. Big accomplishment, move on. You see a light anywhere? Go towards it okay?"

Cordelia in 'Rm w/a Vu' - Angel episode 1x05
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Wow Tank. Just under the line. Now I'll have to go back and read it through from start to finish.

By the way, you don't really expect us to listen to that old "retirement" line, do you? Good writers are not allowed to retire. It's in the code.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Photo finish!! Are you sure that you wrote ALL of this?? Awfully waffy stuff for you, and awwwwwwwwwwwwww, I loved it!

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Coming back briefly to say that, for Nan and anyone else who wants to read this story in one piece, I've just noticed that it's been uploaded to Annesplace .

To Protect and Serve II: The Return of a Superman .

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Tank

An excellent wrap-up! smile1 I love it.

There's no way you can retire. It's evident in your stories that you enjoy writing and would miss it. As a reader I would definitely miss your excellent work.

Tricia cool

Top Banana
Top Banana
Awww.....Tank you have such a romantic side to you....

What was up with that clone? UGH!!!!

I'm glad he's gone!

Great story.

I'll make you laugh....Now we need the next installment....TP&S III - The Birth of SuperBaby!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! GREAT JOB! NO RETIREMENT YET!

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
Kerth
Kerth
Retirement? eek

and what are you going to do when you think a new evil idea? goofy

Jose hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
N
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
N
Fabulous!!!! One of your best!

Happy 2005!

Sherry

Visit www.marykay.com/sfmurphy for wonderful cosmetic products and an opportunity to enrich the lives of women.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, who knew you had a WAFFy side! Great ending, Tank. Well, we're addicted to your writing. Maybe you're addicted just a teensy bit to writing? As Jose says, what are you going to do with those evil thoughts you have? We're cheaper than therapists and a lot more fun!!
Great job as usual, Tank.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great story. razz That clone was sick! hyper

"Hey." Bill's voice cut through to gain the trio's attention. "I'm glad he did also, but can't somebody get this broken down old cop, who happens to be bleeding all over himself, the heck out of here?"

Lois grinned up at Clark, then gave him a questioning look. He nodded.
"I feel almost back to normal already." He gave Emil a wink. "The stuff works great, professor."

"Hello? Bleeding ex-cop here."

Lois chuckled and gave her ex-partner an amused smile. "Just hold on for another minute."
clap clap clap

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
Tank Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
T
Thanks to all the gentle readers who hung in there for this, my longest fic ever (and you just thought it seemed long because of the boredom).

I do have to say that I resent the comments that implied that seeing waffy parts in my story were somehow 'unusual'. All my fics are waffy... really.

This story marks the end of my 2004 output and signals the beginning of my sabbatical. My plan is not to offically retire, (that never seemed to work too well), but to take 2005 off from fanfic writing.

The hope is, that if I get the desire to write something, I'll work on an original novel idea. It's something I've (sort of) always wanted to do, but am notoriously lazy and so don't stick with such things. I figure if I don't have the 'distraction' of writing fanfic, that maybe I'll work on the novel. Well, that's the idea anyway.

I'll still be around some, but I am losing my computer soon. Which means that I have to decide which of the throw away vignettes I've done for the boards over the last few years (such as some of the haircut stories) I should send to the archives before that happens.

With the plethora of newer writers all over the boards these days, and the large corp of prior writers still going strong, my meager efforts will not be missed.

Thanks again for all the support over that past years, and wish me luck.

Tank (who knows that the gentle readers will understand completely)

Top Banana
Top Banana
Tank, I understand your not writing in 2005 but I hope you know that we will miss your intellect, your wit, and your way with a plot. You are something special (I mean, how many writers have an entire genre named after them?). When you are ready to honor us again (and I think writing fanfic is in your blood, sir) we will be happy to see you return. Thank you for hours of great reading.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just back from vacation, will leave fdk later, but am glad the stories finished, though I wish I hadn't read Wendy's comments first...

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Top Banana
Top Banana
I think I held my breath through most of that last part.

Wow.

I want to say something smarter than that, but for now, I'm stuck on...WOW.

Villains and guns and kryptonite and razor blades and supermen and, holy cow, you left out the kitchen sink!

Absolutely awesome. I could never have done it in a million years. And it read so vividly and so clear, which is so, so hard to do. And you make it look really easy.

Favorite parts: I've just read the last 5 chapters in one go, so pull up a chair.

The Arianna clone. Man. Knew, of course, that Nigel was up to no good, that Arianna wasn't wise to meet with him there, but never, ever saw that coming. Loved that!!

And, really, I loved Arianna. She was a great villain. And when she defended herself and took charge at the end, I was rooting her on.

The menance surrounding the cloned Supes. He was wonderfully horrible. Not a shred of Clark's goodness. I thought his arrogance and love of power was dead on, as in when he was telling Lois how much he enjoyed that it was up to him if someone lived or died.

Clark's reaction to Nigel's revelation about the murder of the Church family. Torture for our real hero.

Also, Lois's uncertainty about Clark becoming Superman again. That her feelings on that were, understandably, mixed. Certainly changes so much of their relationship.

And the proposal. I see some were surprised by your WAFFs, but I think the end of the Futures series has some of the loveliest, most gentle, most romantic moments in all fic. You've done that again here.

Last thing. Set me straight, ok? Because I'm puzzled. At the end when Bill was down and bleeding and Lois was kissing Clark...he was Superman, right? And they kissed in front of the survivors. So, did they *all* know his true identity before that? Help jog my memory, because I'm drawing a blank.

A great read. I can't tell you how impressed I am with how big the story was, how many the threads, and how you tossed them all out there and sewed them right back up.

I'm back to wow.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
T
Tank Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
T
CC, thanks for the extensive feedback. I was beginning to wonder if you'd just gotten bored with the fic and had bailed. It's nice to see that you came back.

As for your little question, check out this passage from the epilogue.

Lois sighed. "I heard from him yesterday. His shoulder is doing fine, and he said he'd send me a post card from whatever tropical island he ends up on. He knows who you are."

Clark shrugged. "I figured as much. We weren't exactly circumspect about our feelings for each other back there, though I doubt Mamba or Emil made the same connection." He sighed. "No chance of Bill coming back?"

Bill, having known about Lois and Clark's relationship would've made the connection, but the duo aren't really worried about him knowing. As for Hamilton, he doesn't have a prior insight into L&C's budding romance and so wouldn't consider Lois' actions anything more than her joy at seeing the true hero back. For all he knew, Lois could have had something going with Superman before he disappeared. Actually, my own take is that Hamilton probably wouldn't even give the kiss a second thought. As for Mamba, he might have had some knowledge that Kent and Lane were an item, but I imagine he was too cowed and focused on himself at the time to bother to make any connections. Such is the way with true cowards. Their first, middle, and last thoughts are on themselves.

Perhaps at some point in the future, one of both of them would make the connection, but so what? I would imagine that Hamilton could be trusted to keep the information to himself, and Mamba? He's a criminal, probably under witness protection if not in prison. Who's going to pay attention to anything he says at that point?

In my mind, it wasn't a major point of concern for Lois and Clark. It just seemed natural that the couple would be moved by the intensity of the moment to express their emotions despite the small audience they had.

Thanks again to everyone for their responses to this story.

Tank (who will point out that he was careful to 'take out' those who would really represent a danger if they 'knew' Clark's secret)

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi Tank, I just finished catching up.
Great story, an excellent mix of all things good in fic - action, humor and waff.
I'm going to miss your stories Tank, even though there are new writers on the board, a lot can be said for experience. I'm starting to find these new stories boring and predictable. At least with your stories I know it will be something new and interesting.
Thanks for the great story.

Avatar: Michael Clarke, awesome Aussie cricket player

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard