Page 1 of 2 1 2
#191422 04/21/08 05:00 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
For all those who like to spell Jonathan Kent's name with to o's, I'm going to keep insisting that his name is Jonathan!

Kent Farm - official database

Superman info - please note this:

Kal-El's spaceship crash landed in a farmer's field near Smallville, a rural town in Kansas in the American midwest. The small spacecraft was discovered by Jonathan and Martha Kent, who owned a farm nearby.
Superman homepage - lists birthday of actor who played Jonathan Kent on Smallville (April 8)

This is from Wikipedia:

Jor-El is frequently contrasted with Jonathan Kent (John Schneider), Clark's adoptive father, who takes a diametric opinion on what Clark's destiny is, and what is best for him.
There are many other sites you may check out as well, for example sites which list the casts of LnC, Smallville and Superman the Movie.

I'm not kidding you! Clark's dad's name is Jonathan! Spelled with two a's!!!

Ann

#191423 04/21/08 05:14 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Lol, Ann! And no H...

I had a friend named Jonathan in high school who HATED it when people used an o at the end...

Carol

#191424 04/21/08 08:10 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I'm annoyed when some people can't spell the name Jonathan Kent either, so you're not alone! laugh

#191425 04/21/08 08:50 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Same here. Or when Luthor becomes a Luther... Or Jimmy suddenly is an Olson (correct: Olsen).

I'm still waiting for someone to misspell Ellen Lane as Allan, though. goofy

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#191426 04/21/08 09:29 PM
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
I love it when "Lois" becomes "Louis" laugh .

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
#191427 04/22/08 11:21 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
LOL that's never happened to me, but I noticed I tend to write out the name "Lois," whenever I'm referring to my friend, Lisa. I use the name Lois a lot and any L name gets me on auto-pilot. I use that name so much that a few weeks ago, my best friend almost addressed me as Lois. I told I wouldn't have minded at all. wink

#191428 04/22/08 12:23 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Strange. I've never seen "Jonathan" spelled any other way besides this way. John is just the short version of Jonathan, though I've seen that alternatively spelled Jon.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#191429 04/22/08 04:23 PM
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
When I was really young,Johnathan was my favorite name for a boy and along with Jesse was to be the name of one of my future sons. I also renamed my Raggedy Andy doll Johnathan. Yes, I thought there had to be an "H." Then I got older and maybe wiser and decided I prefered the no h version better. With an "O" does not look right to me.

Mona

#191430 04/22/08 06:01 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I have to say that I've been happily oblivious to this problem until reading this thread. However, I also tend to be equally oblivious to grammatical errors and such in people's writing. I like to think it just shows my ability to see past any mistakes into the good within, but it's probably because I've been reading too much post-modernist literature.

#191431 04/22/08 10:25 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by C_A:
I love it when "Lois" becomes "Louis" laugh .
Well, I constantly mistype Lois as "Losi". And I know I'm not the only one who has that particular problem. huh

#191432 04/23/08 01:57 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
For some reason, I often type Metropolis and Metroplois... Fortunately for me there's spellcheck laugh

And, for years, instead of Murder, I would type Mulder. O.o (Granted that's not Lois and Clark related...)

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#191433 04/23/08 02:52 AM
J
JDG Offline
Blogger
Blogger
J
And, for years, instead of Murder, I would type Mulder.
I'd like to be Muldered. wink

Perry: Jimmy, do you know what a man needs at a time like this?
Jimmy: A baseball bat and an alibi?
Church of Metropolis
#191434 04/24/08 10:34 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I know my error prompted this post, so my apologies! Seriously, if you're going to write a fic, get the names straight. No excuse for that, none. I just wish I'd seen the link to the scripts before I made an even worse error in the second chapter. I should probably not even attempt to write another fic, I'm sure I'll just screw things up even more. confused

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
#191435 04/24/08 11:07 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Bella - you're not the first and certainly won't be the last to misspell a name.

Don't let misspelled words keep you from writing fic - I daresay many of us would be out of 'work' if we did that!!

Carol [who has many times had to respell a word 17 different ways to get spell check to recognize it and spit out the right one and who has failed miserably more than once]

#191436 04/24/08 02:22 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I don't often get names wrong, but for years I had a complete brain block over 'definitely'. Without fail, I'd spell it definately. I knew it was wrong, but I still did it.

I was editing a fan magazine at one point and one of the subscribers noted that her old schoolteacher would have thrown chalk at me by now if she'd continued to misspell it as often as I did.

A few weeks later, I apparently did it again because the next thing I knew I was picking up the mail and a shower of red powder covered me as I opened up one of the envelopes.

Took me ages to figure out she'd sent me a stick of chalk, which had - naturally - disintegrated in transit. goofy

Mind you, it worked. I don't think I spelled definitely wrong since. wink

BTW, Carol is right, Bella. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#191437 04/24/08 03:57 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Indeed, Bellarata, it was not just you!! I have seen Jonathan's name misspelled many times by many people here, and it has been so weird to me because Jonathan is a commmon name to me - and yet, before I started frequenting these boards, I wasn't even aware that "Jonathon" was an accepted or even an existing spelling! It was as if I had visited a Star Trek site, where a number of people spelled William Shatner's name as "Williom" Shatner. Actually, "Jonathon" is probably weirder to me then "Williom" would be to most Americans, because as a Swede I can't help pronouncing "Jonathon" in Swedish - well, because Jonat(h)an is a popular Swedish name, too - and in Swedish, if you spell it with an o at the end, you will have to pronounce it with an o at the end! Seriously. The o changes the pronunciation of the name in Swedish, which makes the spelling with an o even weirder to me. To me it is as if you would spell Spock as Spack, which would certainly change the pronunciation. But I know now that Jonathon is a perfectly normal name in the United States, so it has been an educating experience for me!

Since I have been a Superman fan since 1968, I know that Jonathan's name is and always has been spelled with an a, so I decided to officially point it out. But again, Bellarata, it is most certainly not only you who spell the name with an o!

By the way, I decided to google "Jonathan Kent" and "Jonathon Kent", to see which spelling brought me the greatest number of hits. Would you believe that "Jonathon Kent" generated 1,380,000 hits, but "Jonathan Kent" only 453,000? Ah, but then I checked the spelling of the names that that the hits had taken me to. When I googled "Jonathan Kent", the first twenty hits referred to sites which all spelled Jonathan with an a at the end. But when I googled "Jonathon Kent", five of the first twenty hits referred to sites which spelled Jonathan with an a at the end. Another two of the sites mentioned both spellings. One of the sites introduced a person asking for advice to find a good boy's name for his sister's child. The new parents had been thinking of Jonathon Kent - with two o's - and most of those who replied seemed to think that Jonathon was a good name and the normal spelling, better than Jonathan. But one poster asked the new parents to stay away from trendy spellings, by which he or she probably meant that "Jonathon" was the trendy new spelling and Jonathan was the "normal" one. I can certainly believe that Jonathon is trendy, since it seems to pop up everywhere in the United States these days, even though I wasn't even aware of the existence of that spelling until I found it on this site.

Ann

#191438 04/27/08 02:02 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Jonathan's name is not the only one misspelt in fanfic or on websites. I've also seen:

Lex Luther
Schuster's Field
Jimmy Olson

I'm sure there are others that I can't think of right now. It happens... smile

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
#191439 05/06/08 05:16 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This post answered one of my long unanswered questions! For years I've seen Jonathan spelled with three 'a' or with two 'o' and also Olsen with two 'o' but I wasn't sure if there was a correct way of spelling or if there was some sort of anarchy in the names of the characters. huh

oh, and off topic:

I don't often get names wrong, but for years I had a complete brain block over 'definitely'. Without fail, I'd spell it definately.
My native language isn't english and I'm very prone to mistakes. That word is one of those I always mispell. I usually write definitively instead of definitely. blush It's just closer to the way it's said at home (definitivamente) wink

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
#191440 05/16/08 10:13 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Stupid question, but what's wrong with Schuster's Field? confused

#191441 05/16/08 10:26 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Stupid question, but what's wrong with Schuster's Field?
Yeah, I second that. That's how I always thought it was spelled... does anyone know the correct spelling from say, the comic books, or wherever?

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard