LAST TIME:

Ian nodded and shook Clark’s hand. He turned to do the same with Lois, but instead both felt compelled to hug.

“Thank you, Ian. For everything,” Lois said.

* * * * * NOW READ ON...

Lois and Clark walked back to St. Joseph’s parking lot in silence. Clark could practically see Lois’ mind at work over all she had learned while talking to Ian. He waited until they were both seated in her Jeep before breaking the silence.

“Lois...? How do you feel?”

She hadn’t put the key into the ignition yet. “I feel... pretty good about that. I’m really glad to have met Ian. Without him--well, I’d have definitely been raped, and there’s a good chance I could have died, too. I want to help him, Clark. I don’t know how, but I want to do something for him. Something big.”

Clark smiled a little. “You’re really brave, you know that, Lois?”

“Me? Why?”

Clark shrugged a little. “It had to be tough for you, hearing all about what Ian saw.”

“It was... but Ian also reassured me that after all, the guy didn’t have a chance to--violate me. It was close, but it didn’t happen. I just have to get over that. I have an appointment with Robyn tomorrow.”

“That’s good.”

Lois started the car. “It is. I have a lot of things to talk to her about.”

Clark nodded. After a few moments of silence, he summoned his courage and asked her, “Lois? Do you want to go to the movies tonight? ‘The Fugitive’ is playing...”

“Like a date?”

“Well... like a--date, sort of. If you *want* it to be, that is...” Clark waffled, looking shy.

A smile spread across her face. “You know what, Clark? I think I’d like that.”

“Really?” he asked, excitedly.

“Really.”

They had pizza downtown, and went to a late-night showing of ‘The Fugitive’ that night. As they exited the theater, Lois shivered; Clark wrapped an arm securely around her shoulders, sheltering her from the wind as they walked back to the car. It was a little after midnight, and both had enjoyed their evening out immensely.

“That movie had me on the edge of my seat,” Clark said excitedly.

“I *know*!” Lois added, smiling up at him. “Harrison Ford was *amazing.*”

Clark raised his eyebrows.

“I mean--” Lois stammered, blushing, “his *acting.* Although he’s not bad to look at either...”

“Ooh,” Clark teased. “*Somebody* has a celebrity crush!”

Lois laughed. “And *somebody else* is pretty jealous. Come on, Clark. Don’t tell me you don’t have a thing for a celebrity...”

Clark looked thoughtful. “Well, I *do*... but she’s not an actress or anything. Still, she’s very well-known. She’s a member of the press, actually...” He squeezed Lois a little closer and planted a kiss on her temple.

She blushed, but smiled brilliantly. “Well, Harrison Ford’s got nothing on you, Clark.”

They had just made it to the parking garage, when Clark’s super hearing picked up on some muffled sounds coming from--*oh, no!*--the subway! Lois had just taken a step towards him, her eyes closed, and her lips just seconds away from his.

‘Not now! Not now...’ thought Clark, hoping the sounds would stop. He didn’t hear anything now, and he boldly took Lois by the shoulders, drew her even closer to him, and kissed her with fiery passion. He’d wanted to kiss her like that for so long. And here she was, responding quite readily to his kiss.

“Lois,” he whispered, pulling back just a little bit. “Please tell me to stop if you’re not ready. Okay?”

“Clark,” she murmured, her voice a husky whisper, “I’m ready all right.” With that, she took his face in both her hands and drew him to her once more. She kissed him hard, all the desire she’d bottled up for so long came pouring out, and he could feel how much she wanted him. And he could hear--

He could hear, “Help, someone! Superman!”

Clark may not have known physical pain until today, when he pulled back abruptly, breaking off their kiss. Kryptonite didn’t even hurt this badly. To make matters worse, Lois’ expression was breaking his heart. She looked first surprised, then confused, then hurt. All in a matter of moments.

“Lois,” Clark started awkwardly, “I just had a terrible feeling I left the coffee pot on at my apartment. I’m going to go check on it, then I’ll be right over to your place.” He backed away from her. Surely she was furious with him. If the roles were reversed, he sure would be.

Lois’ brow was furrowed. “Clark, we can loop around past your apartment on the way to mine. I don’t mind.”

“No, Lois,” he said firmly. “I have to go. I’ll be right there, I promise. You go ahead.” He dashed off, leaving a hurt and bewildered Lois behind. His chest felt tight and ached as he spun into his Superman suit, and while he focused on listening to the voice calling for help, he could not shake the image of Lois standing there alone, looking as if she’d just been slapped across the face.

Lois sat in her car for a few minutes, wondering exactly what had happened. She touched her fingertips to her lips, wanting to know what she’d done to make him want to leave. It had been a good kiss. No, it had been a *great* kiss.

She was furious. There was a lump in her throat, threatening to bring her to tears. She swallowed hard, and willed herself to think logically about the situation.

*He* asked *her* on a date. He was obviously interested. He’d kissed her first. He enjoyed it. Or at least she thought so.

Then, what was it he said?

He told her to stop him if she wasn’t ready. He was thinking about her attack. Of course! That was it. Undoubtedly and absolutely.

He didn’t find her desirable after what had happened to her.

That must be it.

Who wants to get involved with a woman who’s been drugged and manhandled by some stranger? Who wants to have a physical relationship... with *that*?

Not Clark, apparently. Not since he’d heard all that Ian shared with them earlier today.

Lois felt disgusting again. Like she needed to take a shower. Like she was tainted and dirty. Feeling unattractive and unwanted, she pressed her foot on the gas pedal and sped home, trying not to think of anything other than how good a shower would feel.

Superman flew down to the subway platform where he’d heard the cries for help. The yelling had come from a woman who’d just discovered a fourth victim lying on the ground.

“Do you have a cell phone?” Superman asked the hysterical bystander. The woman nodded. “Call 9-1-1. Tell them to send an ambulance.”

With shaky hands, the woman did as Superman had instructed.

Superman knelt by the victim’s side, checking her for injuries. She was alive, her heartbeat was steady and so was her breathing. He monitored her closely to make sure her condition did not change. Her hair and clothing were disheveled, and there was no doubt in his mind that she’d been attacked by the Hyde and SEEC rapist.

In a few minutes, he heard the sirens approaching. Two EMTs dashed down to the platform with a stretcher. They were followed closely by two police officers. While the EMTs began taking care of the victim, the police started questioning Superman and the bystander.

Lois stepped out of the shower feeling only slightly better. Clark’s actions had hurt her pretty badly tonight. She wrapped herself in her brown terry robe and strode into the living room for a moment. She’d left the television on, and a special report was just coming on.

Lois watched numbly as the newscaster reported a fourth victim of the Hyde and SEEC rapist had been found. She was alive, and had been found by another passenger. Superman assisted with the rescue.

Superman.

There was another man who’d betrayed her.

Clark said he was coming back to her apartment after he checked on his coffee pot. That was a half hour ago. Lois decided that if Clark actually kept his word and returned, he’d get a piece of her mind.

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.