Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#188144 05/17/07 07:29 PM
woody Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
While reading a fic, I again came across the statement that Superman can fly with objects at much faster speeds than with humans. Why? If that speed would vaporize a human, why would it not also vaporize luggage or any other object? And while we're at it, why can he zip from one place to another in a second without disturbing the atmosphere, yet when returning from nightfall he created a fireball? Yet more incongruities from the show we love...

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#188145 05/17/07 10:03 PM
Kerth
Kerth
The first one is not really a incongruity, I think. consider this: If a plane crashes, you can find the passengers clothes and even their suit-cases. Often, they don't look particularly harmed - and still, there are no or near to no survivors. Obviously, baggage (as in fabric and other non-fragile objects) can take quite a beating without being vaproized, as you put it. Human, on the other hand, are very fragile living beings. Especially when the inner organs get too much of a shove (like from the crash), they suffer fatal internal injuries. In many cases, the body looks outwardly unharmed to boot - or so I read somewhere.

About the second one: I think you're right there, it is a contradiction. But since a man defying gravity on a regular basis isn't any more logical than this, I decided to go with it.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#188146 05/18/07 01:38 AM
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
The answer to the second question has more to do with the atmosphere actually. Think of how a meteor burns up in the atmosphere when it enters and it looks like a fire ball. The principle is the same thing with Superman's re-entry when Nightfall happened. It is this reason why thermo shielding is so important for space shuttles otherwise something like what happened to the Space Shuttle Columbia would occur.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#188147 05/18/07 05:29 AM
woody Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Crazy Babe, I understand why he could have made a fireball coming back. They are caused by friction with air. But when he is going much faster, like when he was getting all those things for Lois, why doesn't create a fireball then? The air is denser closer to the earth. The only explanation I can think of is how his body is turned when flying, like diving through the air, whereas in Nightfall, he might have ended up in a ball or sideways.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#188148 05/18/07 06:32 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Another possibility is that since he normally flies while conscious, he is subconsciously extending his personal field to minimize the friction through the air (so his cape won't burn.

During the fall in Nightfall, since he was unconscious, he was unable to compensate and his personal field went into survival mode - stopped at his skin - which also explains the suit burning off.

And yes, living things are much more fragile than non-living things, plus there's the matter of temperature and air pressure.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#188149 05/18/07 06:41 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
During the fall in Nightfall, since he was unconscious, he was unable to compensate and his personal field went into survival mode - stopped at his skin - which also explains the suit burning off.
Maybe his entry angle was a factor too? When he flies fast, doesn't he angle himself to cut through the air like a dart, with hands straight out, maybe like he's diving, tiny splash? If he was unconscious, he would have been tumbling, right? wound up like a ball or a rock, big splash?

As far a vaporization, couldn't you take the density of some objects into account? say a block of iron as compared to a block of wood?

You got me thinking of the Phoenix affect in the 3rd X-men, how Wolverine's skin peeled off as he approached Jean Grey, but his adamantium skeleton remained solid against her "wind" of power.

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
#188150 05/24/07 05:16 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, Woody, I'm not sure that Superman would make a fireball in any case, when he is either falling or flying very fast through the atmosphere. Meteorites create fireballs when they fall through the atmosphere because they heat up so much that they partly or completely vaporize. That is not something that would happen to Superman, since he is invulnerable... on the other hand, his cape should burn up every time he flies really fast.

And Superman really should create sonic booms. There is no excuse for him not to. Anything sizable moving sufficiently fast through the atmosphere will create sonic booms, and to my knowledge there is no way you can avoid it.

But like Olympe pointed out, the laws of nature as we know them simply don't allow a living being with a human's weight, size and build to fly under its own power, much less fly incredibly fast. If we accept that Superman can fly at all, and fly unbelievably fast at that, then there is no reason why we shouldn't believe that he can fly without burning up his cape or creating sonic booms. It's called suspension of disbelief, and we need it in order to enjoy all fantastic stories about what is scientifically impossible.

Ann

#188151 05/24/07 05:39 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, Woody, I'm not sure that Superman would make a fireball in any case, when he is either falling or flying very fast through the atmosphere. Meteorites create fireballs when they fall through the atmosphere because they heat up so much that they partly or completely vaporize. That is not something that would happen to Superman, since he is invulnerable... on the other hand, his cape should burn up every time he flies really fast.
You're referring to ablation - where heat is dissipated by pieces falling off, and oxidation - burning up (rocks don't actually burn all that well.) BUT, you see the air compressing and getting red-hot even around things like space capsules and shuttles returning to Earth that aren't ablating or oxidizing - that's what causes ionization and radio blackout.

As to the sonic booms - sonic booms are created by the creation of air pressure building up in front of an object moving so fast the air can't get out of the way fast enough, creating a shock wave. In theory, if there was a way to prevent or minimize the shock wave as an object approaches and exceeds the speed of sound, you could prevent the sonic boom.

We need a nerd icon. [Linked Image]

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#188152 05/24/07 08:34 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I agree with your statements that it is impossible to avoid a sonic boom, but it sure can be minimized. Some time ago I read something about planes and the wall of sound. If a plane lags barely below the speed of sound for too long, it causes the plane to vibrate and, if nothing is done to prevent it, it will be shattered. If it accelerates too slowly, the sonic boom will be very loud indeed.

So, if you accellerate extremely quickly while reaching Mach 1, the sonic boom should be minimized.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#188153 05/24/07 10:09 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well. I guess it depends on the dynamics behind Superman's flight.

The one fanboy science explanation I've seen suggests that Superman flies by manipulating gravitons with his mind. Down is essentialy were he want's it to be. And like Dandello suggested when he is unconscious this process stops working and his body will be subject to the gravity well and all the usual natural laws. (except that he is indestructable of course)

How that interact with atmospheric friction I don't know, perhaps he can dispel or bend it as well. Considerng the speeds he can achieve there almost must be something else wink

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard