Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Maybe this is something everyone knows and I'm just missing it, but are the titles of the episodes "Fly Hard" and "Barbarians at the Planet" switched? To me the titles, as they are, make no sense, but switched they make a whole lot more sense.

I mean wouldn't you call an episode where criminals break into the Daily Planet building and hold a group of people hostage "Barbarians at the Planet" rather than "Fly Hard"?!?!

Sorry, kind of random, but it has been bugging me for a while.

"I don't know Mom; it's a bomb stain." -Clark Kent
Top Banana
Top Banana
"Fly Hard" is actually a play on the movie title Die Hard, I think. I've never actually seen the movie, but from the IMDB synopsis, it involves a cop trying to stop some terrorists who are holding hostages in a building in L.A.

"Barbarians at the Planet" probably has something to do with the fact that EVERYONE at the Planet during that episode acts at least a little barbaric--Lois & Clark sniping at each other, etc.

As far as I know, they didn't name the episodes in any particular order that can be read one after the other--they just named the episodes appropriately for the storylines in them.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I don't know whether they got them confused or not, but I always think that Barbarians at the Planet is the one about the guys breaking in, too. I have to be reminded that that's not so.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, Fly Hard is a play on the Bruce Willis movie, Die Hard, and the plot of the episode is a 'homage' to the events of the movie.

Barbarians at the Planet is, I believe, a play on the phrase Barbarians at the Gates. I'm not entirely up on the origins of the phrase, but I think it's generally believed to go back to Roman times. Perhaps even to the historical sacking of Rome by...well, the barbarians. <g>

These days though, its generally used to denote circumstances where the victims of a catastrophic event are watching things unfold but can do nothing to stop it or help themselves.

As far as Clark, Lois and the rest of the Planet staff are concerned, I think Luthor - the true barbarian who has no appreciation of a free press which doesn't do his bidding and who seeks to destroy it - taking over the Planet probably qualifies on that score. laugh

So I think the titles fit the episodes pretty well. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
I think Barbarians at the Planet was also a pun on a book/movie from the early '90's called "Barbarians at the Gate" .

The description on IMDB says: "The president of a major tobacco company decides to buy the company himself, but a bidding war ensues as other companies make their own offers."

Since that's the episode where Lex buys out the Planet, it kind of fits. smile

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
As far as Clark, Lois and the rest of the Planet staff are concerned, I think Luthor - the true barbarian who has no appreciation of a free press which doesn't do his bidding and who seeks to destroy it - taking over the Planet probably qualifies on that score.
Putting it like that might make me remember from now on LabRat. Thanks.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard