Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hello. I was thinking about some similarities between Lois and Clark and other shows/movies the other day and thought it would be fun to see what other people might have noticed.

Just for fun...

So, I'll go first with a couple. Have you ever noticed that some of the plot lines to episodes of Lois and Clark seemed to end up as movies later on? I was thinking specifically of "All Shook Up" and "Virtually Destroyed". ASU was written back in the 93/94 season of LNC and then, low and behold, in 1998 the movie "Armageddon" comes out in theatres. Now, I realize that the plots aren't totally the same, obviously. But it was the first movie I remembered that addressed the idea of a huge asteroid crashing into the Earth. It just reminded me of ASU... and I thought it was funny that it came out four years later...

Oh, and then there's the movie "The Matrix". Matrix came out in 1999. Dean Cain wrote "VD" during the 95/96 Season, 3 years before Matrix. A lot of the basic principals were the same. The Matrix was simplistically just a virtual world for people to live in, that seemed like real life. Oh, and then there was that "girl in the red dress". Remember in the Matrix, Mouse - I think that was his name - created that girl in the red dress... the one that distracted Neo? Well, if you'll notice next time you watch VD, there was also an attractive woman in a very high-cut red dress as well.

Then, there's all the actors who made appearances in Lois & Clark, who I've noticed showing up in stuff now. Off the top of my head, two that I can think of are supporting characters in "Lost" on ABC. The woman from "GGGoH" who held Lois captive (and Lois managed to appeal to her to let her go) stars in "Lost" as one of the planewrecked islanders. Also in the LNC episode "The Prankster", there was a guy who had been in prison with the Prankster, and he offered Lois and Clark information for like $20,000... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he plays "Desmond" on Lost (the guy who had been pushing the button in the bunker). I couldn't find anything to say if he had guest starred on LNC and I was too lazy to get my DVD's out to check and see if his name was in the credits of The Prankster (Henry Ian Cusick).

Anyway, that's just a few off the top of my head. Anyone else got anything interesting?

-- MR angel-devil

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
smile

You have no idea how many times I've said "hey, haven't we seen something just like that on Lois & Clark" while I'm watching TV (from a show or a movie) - of course I can't think of an example of that right this second... but I've said it enough times to annoy my boyfriend with it, I'll tell you that. *lol*

My current favorite - it's not related specifically to L&C though, but definitely lots of links to Superman - is something I discovered while I was watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine...

This is from the end notes from the last part of "All Weathered Out" that I just posted this week:

On an interesting note, in another episode of DS9 ("Let He Who Is Without Sin"), Mr. Worf - our favorite Klingon - explains that he grew up on a farming planet and spent most of his youth trying to control his strength so as not to harm humans. Yes, my friends, this makes Worf a farm boy with well above average strength... Kinda like someone else we know. wink You might also be interested to know that the actor who plays Worf, Michael Dorn, also lends his voice to Kalibak in Superman, the animated series. (The same Kalibak who just happens to be in the Superman Revenge Squad.)

Actually, just cause I feel like it, this is a piece of dialog between Dax and Worf from that ep. Change the character names (and take out the ref to Klingons) and this could easily be an exchange between Lois and Clark. *easily*

WORF: Compared to Klingons, humans are fragile creatures. I realized at that moment that to live among them I would have to practice... restraint.

DAX: That must've been difficult for you.

WORF: At first. But in time, it became part of who I was, who I am.

DAX: And you're still afraid that if you lose control...

WORF: Someone I care about might get hurt.

...!!! I'm still thinking I should use that in my sequel to AWO... Really.

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Kerth
Kerth
The meteor plot (as first seen in the film Meteor in 1979) isn't exactly new, and the thing about Clark possibly hurting Lois goes back to Larry Niven's hilarious Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex of 1971. And of course Tron had VR in 1982, though not nearly that realistic, and it was a common theme in SF books around that time.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Well sure, give us a logical explanation, Marcus. wink But what about the woman in the red dress, huh? laugh

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Many actors!
I remember Patrick Kilpatrik in an episode in first serie! This man acted in an episode of X-files and in Minority Report!
And Jessica Collins, Mindy Church, was the sister of True Davies in Tru Calling!
And obviously Jonathan Frakes, commander Riker of Star Trek!

CLARK: I hated not being able to tell you. I mean, you think it was easy watching you swoon over Superman and ignore me?
LOIS: That doesn't make any sense! You are Superman!
CLARK: No, Superman is what I can do, but Clark is who I am...
Top Banana
Top Banana
Also, the guy who played Joey Bermuda in HIWTHI played the dad in the Disney Channel series Lizzie McGuire.

And the Inspector Henderson from season 2 is in one of the Law & Order serieses. I'm not sure if it's SVU or the original, but it's one of those two.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Kerth
Kerth
Mister Gadget, in the final season, is of course the late John Spencer, The West Wing's Leo McGarry. That's why I was asking about Clark's citizenship a couple of weeks ago - I've been thinking of writing something in which he ends up meeting Leo and does a huge double-take, but I don't think that citizenship is the right route to that scene. Also I want to get more of my Highlander crossover written first.

Marcus L. Rowland
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I don't remember the name but Lana Lang in an episode of L&C now acting in CSI Miami as a regular!

CLARK: I hated not being able to tell you. I mean, you think it was easy watching you swoon over Superman and ignore me?
LOIS: That doesn't make any sense! You are Superman!
CLARK: No, Superman is what I can do, but Clark is who I am...
Blogger
Blogger
There are a lot of movies/shows that resemble lois and clark! There was an episode of Angel where an old man swtiched bodies with him, just like that season 4 episode of L&C. Of course, Tim Minear (or how ever you spell his name) worked on both those shows so that probably had something to do with it.

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I don't remember the name but Lana Lang in an episode of L&C now acting in CSI Miami as a regular!
Emily Proctor. She was also on West Wing for a while.

Bruce Campbell of Briscoe County Jr and Evil Dead was Billy Church. And Denise Crosby who played Tasha Yar in ST:TNG was Lex's doctor Gertrude.

And obviously Jonathan Frakes, commander Riker of Star Trek!
Here is something I just learned today: Amber Lake was played by Genie Francis, Laura in General Hospital, who is Jonathan Frakes' (Tim Lake) real-life wife. I never knew that before, I guess because I don't watch soaps.

The Prankster was of course Balki from Perfect Strangers, and in the L&C ep Supermann, the Nazis were watching an ep of Perfect Strangers to improve their English!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I am sure you guys already know this , but there are quite some resemblances to Charmed.

Examples : Jimmy's dad (can't remember his name) in TDWCIFTC also plays the father of the sisters in Charmed.

Or the police man in Charmed (Darryl) plays a gastrol as a driver , I think I've read that somewhere.

And so on and so on ...

God , I love irony! oh, super..

Clark: Good morning Lois.
Lois: You’re late.
Clark: Good morning Clark.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Bob Fences in "Contact" was played by Patrick Labyorte who played Bud on Jag. smile

It seems like everytime I go back and watch an episode I see someone who went on to do other things. smile

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Of course, Tim Minear (or how ever you spell his name) worked on both those shows so that probably had something to do with it.
He wrote IGYUMS and was co-executive producer on Angel, so yeah, I think that's a safe bet.

There's two eps of Angel that are titled "I've Got You Under My Skin" and "That Old Gang of Mine".

I think I also read somewhere (but don't quote me on this) that the whole Connor arc in Angel was originally something planned for the 5th season of L&C with the Family Hour mystery baby.

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by C_A:
I think I also read somewhere (but don't quote me on this) that the whole Connor arc in Angel was originally something planned for the 5th season of L&C with the Family Hour mystery baby.
Now there's a scary thought, considering how that arc came out in Angel - would Lois be Darla or Cordelia in that context? Who would be the mother of the evil goddess? Would the main characters end up running LNN to bring down the evil empire from within?

Come to think of it, the sudden arrival of a mysterious child does tie into the Buffyverse in another context - if the baby is actually a mystical Key made of green (Kryptonite?) energy and converted to human form, with an evil goddess on its trail...

Someone really ought to write this... not me though.

Marcus L. Rowland
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Now there's a scary thought, considering how that arc came out in Angel - would Lois be Darla or Cordelia in that context? Who would be the mother of the evil goddess? Would the main characters end up running LNN to bring down the evil empire from within?
Well, I think it was more the general idea of having a rapidly aging baby that turns into a sullen, rebellious teen. Obviously, because the two shows were so different, the details would not have matched.

I doubt this is very reliable, but I did stumble across a message board post once (and I can't find it again), where the poster claimed that the baby was supposed to get kidnapped by Tempus and raised by him, only to be returned to L&C full of hatred for them and hell-bent on destroying Superman. Sound familiar?

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I was too lazy to get my DVD's out to check and see if his name was in the credits of The Prankster (Henry Ian Cusick).
I doubt it would help to check. Unless they have added credits on the DVD's not every actor / actress is credited. (Bummer, right?)

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by C_A:
Well, I think it was more the general idea of having a rapidly aging baby that turns into a sullen, rebellious teen. Obviously, because the two shows were so different, the details would not have matched.

I doubt this is very reliable, but I did stumble across a message board post once (and I can't find it again), where the poster claimed that the baby was supposed to get kidnapped by Tempus and raised by him, only to be returned to L&C full of hatred for them and hell-bent on destroying Superman. Sound familiar?
Definitely familiar.

Marcus L. Rowland
Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hah! So glad everyone seems to be enjoying this thread.

I just *watched* another fun similarity... with the Season 4 DVD's.

Remember the upside down kiss Clark gave Lois - I think in "I've Got You Under My Skin" - reminds me of Spiderman's upsidedown kiss. I'm sure there have been upsidedown superhero kisses before LNC. It's just that I noticed that and thought it was neat.

Later!

-- MR

Blogger
Blogger
The meteor plot (as first seen in the film Meteor in 1979) isn't exactly new,
Even older than that--L&C stole from their own past, there is an episode with the same plot as "All Shook Up" in the old Superman TV show from the 50s with George Reeve. (Sadly enough, growing up I saw more of that show on Nick at Nite than I did of L&C when it originally aired.)

The weirdest was seeing First officers Will Riker and Chakotay in episodes of L&C. Especially since Chakotay looks a lot older in the L&C episode "Fly Hard" than he does three or so years later when Voyager first aired.

Although, I would have to say the absolute funniest time I have seen an actor in a different TV show was an episode I watched from the first season (or maybe it was second season...) of NCIS--Adam Baldwin plays a Marine commander and the only other thing I have ever seen Adam Baldwin in is Firefly/Serenity and his character Jayne Cobb is *totally* not a Marine or anything close...except he likes guns...big ones...

"I don't know Mom; it's a bomb stain." -Clark Kent
Merriwether
Merriwether
yeah, that type of stuff runs through my head. I often mention to my husband as I'm watching the tellie that "hey that's like my show" or "that person was on my show"

My husband's reply is "everyone has been on your show".

I saw that annoying lady from WIERK on the tellie the other day.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard