Next Thread
Print Thread
#184055 08/27/06 02:08 AM
Yakira Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Hi there! wave
Let's forget about the Superman mythos for a second.
I was wide awake last night and I wondered what if Clark never thought of wearing glasses? He wear glasses to differ him from Superman, right?
How do you think he would style his hair? And the way he would dress?

I've always thought Clark looked amazing here:
[Linked Image]
Out-of-bed tousled hair. And he's wearing just a robe. Honestly when I see him like that it would never occur to me he's Superman. I don't know why.
And this too.
[Linked Image]
He's so cute!

What about you guys?
*_*
Yakira
smile

D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Interesting question. smile

I'm not sure it was ever addressed in L&C canon why Clark started wearing glasses. I know there's a lot of speculation that it was to help control his developing powers when he was a youngster. But... Clark without glasses...

I think he might have selected a different outfit as Superman - maybe one with a mask? A hood? Maybe visors? Or maybe we'd have ended up with Super-paper-bag-man! wink

Dave

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh I think Dean looks great with and without the glasses (and maybe a little bit better without goofy )

But Clark originally wore the glasses to controll his powers, like Dave said, and I thought it was to create the image of an imperfect body. He already had the glasses before he came up with the whole secret identity thing.

Buuut about the hair/clothes.. I don't think that would be different from the Clark-with-glasses > although I hope he'd walk around in a tuxido (like in Don't Tug on Superman's Cape) cuz that looked really cute goofy

I think, as Superman, he might have had a mask or something (just like Lois did when she became Ultrawoman) but whaha i like the paper bag idea rotflol

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Ohh! laugh

I'm sorry, but which episodes are these from? I'm not good at identifying them blush

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
SuperRoo,
I think the first capture is from Double Jeopardy.
The second one id from The Dad Who Came In From The Cold when L&C were talking in Clark's kitchen.

You're the icing on my cake.
What's that?
Chocolate, of course.
--
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think the glasses issue is strictly tradition because Siegal and Shuster wrote it that way.

There are many other ways he could hide his identity. I'm not buying it that glasses is the only thing that protects his identity.

He acts differently as Superman. His pose is different. His hairstyle is different. Then of course in some of the comics - 60's and maybe the 70's, he used a type of hypnotism and everyone actually thought Clark looked totally different. Also, everytime he was Superman, he quickly vibrated his head so that all pics / film of him was blurred. (Yes, I know the Flash is supposed to do this, too, but I have the comic where Supes does the exact same thing.)

Of course, too, as Martha says, "They don't call him tights for nothin'."

I like that in NanSmith's Home series, he has completely gotten rid of the glasses and no one recognizes him.

There is some Superman canon - I assume from the comics - that he started wearing the glasses to help him control his special vision abilities. I know I've read that the lenses are leaded glass. Perhaps he started using them because he saw something he wished he hadn't?

And if Clark went without glasses, what would he say when someone noted that he looked a lot like Superman? Coincidence. A lot of people look similar. Otherwise, how would we have all those celebrity impersonators?

Then too, I've seen pictures of people that I would not have recognized as that person unless I was told it was them. Surely that's happened to the rest of you. There is even a picture that's maybe me, but no one can decide for sure (and I was an adult) - including my own mother. Now isnt' that a hoot?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I always imagined that Clark started wearing glasses in order to look more like his parents who both wear them too.

And I have a copy of that hypnosis comic. It was actually done by accident. Clark wanted people to see him as being more frail than Superman and the lenses in his glasses are Kryptonian glass taken from his original ship so what he wanted people to see was "amplified" by the super glasses. Pretty creative, actually.

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard