Hello, it's me; the Newbie... XP Anyway; here I am again, with the first part of my very firs L/C fic. I'm so proud... laugh

Anyway; I'm having such big troubles with it. I've got problems gripping Lois and Clark's character... Help? help

I really hope you enjoy it; I've worked rather hard with it. goofy

Chaos at Bay - Chapter one

It was a beautiful day in Metropolis: The sun shone brightly and cast its warm beams over the the city. It almost seemed like the city glowed with life.

Clark Kent sat back in his chair, enjoying the sunlight and his cup of coffee fully. He closed his eyes and sat back even further in his chair, making the chair balance dangerously on only two legs. He took a sip of his coffee before placing the cup on his desk, grabbing a small stack of papers instead.

Suddenly, he felt someone tug his chair slightly, making it loose the small piece of balance it had. With a “Whoa!” Clark let himself fall backward together with the chair, dropping the papers in the process. He immediately knew who his attacker was. “Lois!”

Lois laughed. “Never balance on your chair.” She stated, grinning widely.

Clark shook his head as he stood up, dusted himself off and ensembled his papers. He placed the, once again, neat stack before turning his attention to Lois again. “So?” He pushed his glasses further up on his nose.

“Well, it’s almost lunchtime, you know, and Perry usually don’t mind if we go a bit early and it’s great weather. Uncommonly good, so I thought it would be nice with a walk... and I don’t feel like eating takeouts again. Not that I don’t like takeouts; it’s just that after five days straight with only takeouts my stomach needs something more nutricious... so I thought we could go and have a sandwich, partner.”

Clark grinned, finding her rambling mildly amusing. “Sure.” He grabbed his jacket. “Let’s go.” He said silently wondering how Lois could ramble so much during so little time.

“I thought we could go to Czar’s. You know that new opened café? I’ve heard that they make great sandwiches.” Lois said as they finally reached the street.

“I’ve been there once, actually. They make wonderful sandwiches.” He smiled. “Not too expensive, either.”

“Great!” Lois said before taking his arm with a smile, walking arm in arm with him.

Clark smiled back and opened his mouth to say something when his super-hearing cut in. He cursed inwardly. Why now? He sighed and focused on the sounds of screams.

Another robbery where he was needed. And it was just a block away... He glanced at Lois; she was bound to walk through that block on her way to Czar’s... “Uh... Lois?” He said, trying desperately to come up with a good excuse. “Why don’t you go first? I, uh, forgot my pager.”

Lois looked puzzled. “Your pager? Well, that can’t take long, I’ll wait for you here.”

“No! No, I mean... just go ahead. It’s almost lunchtime, and it’s bound to be crowded if we don’t get there soon. Just go ahead and save us a table.” He said quickly before walking of.

“Clark? I hate when he does that!” She muttered sourly before stalking of. Not that she really was mad...

Suddenly a loud sonic boom interrupted her train of thoughts and she glanced up. Superman! She thought happily. When Superman was around a good story was close by; she knew it. Plus... Well... It was Superman, after all.

Forgetting all about the early lunch she quickly walked after Superman.

Clark, apon arriving at the robbery, looked around cautiously; trying to get a hold of the situation as quickly as possible. The police was standing outside, unable to get in, and Lois... she had just managed to arrive. He could see her pushing her way through the crowd of people; police men, some few other reporters and the curious crowd of everyday people.

Clark folded his arms over his chest before entering the bank. “Ahem...” He said, forcing the robber’s attention to himself. He quickly studied the robber: He seemed to be young, slim and agile rather than strong, but it was hard to tell when the robber wore such baggy clothes.

The robber turned around, noticing Superman. But instead of getting scared, the robber seemed to get even more annoyed. “Oh great. The boyscout has arrived.”

Clark was taken slightly aback; not only because of the robber’s reply, but because the robber turned out to be a beautiful young woman, instead of a young boy has he thought it would be.

The young woman’s blue eyes bore into Clark’s brown. “What’cha lookin’ at? Stop starin’ and take a photo instead!” She sneered.

Clark had gotten slightly suspicious over the womans attitude. Had the young girl somehow gotten hold of Kryptonite? ...No, he hadn’t felt anything...

Clark walked forward towards the young woman. “Listen now, young woman...” Oh great; now he felt like he was eighty. “That’s quite some attitude you have.” Quickly, he grabbed the woman’s pistol and crushed it between his hands, before offering it to her again.

“Sweet.” She said offhandedly. “Now I can sell this lump of metal to the Modern Art Museum as art. I’ll call it ‘Superman’s Lump of Metal’.”

Clark, once again, felt himself taken aback. He wasn’t used to the lack of respect he was shown now; at least not while he was in the suit. He shook his head before picking up the young woman, throwing her over his shoulder and walked out again.

He could feel the young woman squirm. “Hey, Flyboy: Let me down! I’ve got my own legs!”

Clark could feel himself getting rather irritated with the woman’s offhanded nature, but shrugged it off. He placed the woman onto the ground in front of the police. “She’s under arrest.” He said, before turning around; walking back into the bank to check if anyone would need any immediate help.

Suddenly; Clark could here commotion behind him again. He turned around to see that the young woman somehow had managed to knock the police out-cold and was right now aiming some kind of blaster to the person closest to her; Lois. Clark could feel his breath get stuck into his throat.

The young woman sneered again. “Nobody can catch Chaos!” She stated loudly before pulling the trigger.

Everything went in slow-motion: A yellow-ish beam shot out from the blaster and Clark ran towards Lois, desperately trying to reach her. He was faster than a speeding bullet; but with the distance between him and Lois, he’d never reach her time.

Clark could see Lois’ eyes widen in terror before the blast hit her; directly on the chest. She almost hit the ground when Clark reached her. “Lois...” He whispered looking down at her unconscious face. “Oh, Lois...”

Suddenly a voice broke through the eerie silence. “Where did she go?”

Clark looked up, only to find that the young woman somehow had disappeared without a trace. He gritted his teeth. He should look after the young woman, but he was too worried about Lois; her breathing was uneven, as well as her pulse...

He decided that the young woman would have to wait. He picked up Lois in his arms and flew off to the nearest hospital.

"How many times must I tell you? Queens consume nectars and ambrosia, not hot dogs."