Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KathyM Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Molly, what a great story! Indeed, what did happen to all the Space Rats? There would have been thousands of them, and unless there was an official recall that the show never revealed... I like the thought that the grandmother bought them for her baby grandson, expecting them to increase in value. Like collectors who stock up on Beanie Babies, Star Wars toys left in their original packaging...

A wonderful bonding experience for grandmother and grandchild. They won't forget this...

For a boy, being ordered to put Barbie dolls in his shopping cart was probably the worst thing that could possibly happen to him.
Oh my, how true. For years my son has simply refused to even go near the "pink" aisle(s) of toy or department stores. I can just imagine how he would feel...

Whether or not the chemical goo would have retained its potency after 10 years...that worked for me. And although I don't like to cry "sequel sequel", I do admit to some curiosity about the story of that second rat. Or any other rats. So if you want to write them...

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very clever idea, Molly! Nicely done. thumbsup

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Molly

An excellent idea! smile1 I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tricia cool

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
lol, this was terrific. Great idea, great execution. Just another one of those stories where I want to smack myself upside the head and say "why didn't *I* think of that?" goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
You can add me to the list of people who really liked this idea. Very good, and a lovely, original idea for an LnC Christmas story. I liked the use of original characters, too. They were well rounded, and worked for me. smile

My only quibble was about a ten year-old boy being old enough to have been left on his own. I think I'm right in saying that his grandma could have been prosecuted for that in the UK. I'm guessing it's different in the States, though.

Chris

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
What a cool story!
I can't help but wonder about said six-year-old daughter and the second rat... Is there any chance we might find out?

Really, I loved this! Short and humorous. What a lovely story...

Sira

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thank you all so much for your comments. This is the first time I've posted fanfic on these boards. smile And there are so many others to read, too, wow. (I'm just getting back into fanfic after a long absence). smile

Krissie, in the US it varies by state, but in my state, children who are 10 can stay by themselves legally; children of 12 can babysit legally. But I know in other states, 11 year olds can babysit so I don't know all the rules, but I guess it's plausible that a 10-year-old in Metropolis could be left alone.

Molly
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Excellent extrapolation from the series! A good Christmas-themed story and funny as well.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Even though a few days before, it hadn’t seemed likely, Josh and Edna had a wonderful Christmas. Superman even stopped by that week to confiscate the remaining rat. Edna and Josh swore they would never tell Josh’s parents about the Toys R Us incident, and Josh went back to Los Angeles a changed boy.

Superman, however, never did dispose of that second rat. He honestly meant to, but then he got distracted by various and constant cries for help, and he accidentally left it on the Kent Family kitchen table . . . and then his six-year-old daughter got ahold of it.

But that, my friends, is a story for another time . . . .
Great story! wave

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Krissie, in the US it varies by state, but in my state, children who are 10 can stay by themselves legally; children of 12 can babysit legally. But I know in other states, 11 year olds can babysit so I don't know all the rules, but I guess it's plausible that a 10-year-old in Metropolis could be left alone.
Thank you. I feel happier knowing that. laugh

Chris

Kerth
Kerth
What happened exactly with the second rat? wink

Jose laugh

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
What a wonderful Christmas story! Thank you for sharing it with us!!!! thumbsup

This is the first time I've posted fanfic on these boards.
Excellent job!!!!!!!!!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Very nice spin on the Christmas rats wink laugh

And quite believable, you're right that people would have still hoarded them. Maybe the substance was supposed to lose its potency after a short length of time. smile

Come to think of it, maybe in the summer. wink Superman did use heat vision to dispose of it if I remember correctly.

Top Banana
Top Banana
My absolute favorite part:

Clark Kent had trouble believing what he was hearing as he tuned his superhearing into the police report: A madwoman at large? With a cartful of stolen dolls? Spraying people with rats?

Rats, rats . . . why did that sound so familiar?

Oh, crud.
And I just adored everything about this. So completely original. So very well written. And sweet and hiliarious!!

I would love to see the second rat story sometime soon. This was just wonderful.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Columnist
Columnist
Hi

Great story...I really loved it, very good idea.

karla

Top Banana
Top Banana
Good job! clap

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Dundan8: In the episode, they said that if the substance was boiled, it would become harmless. But maybe over time, too... who knows. smile

Molly
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yes, you're right. I think I remember. smile

You should try your hand at some more L&C ideas, you can definately handle writing a story. smile thumbsup

I miss those Christmas rats. lol

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Molly, I just read this on the archive and I loved it. It was so funny! My favorite lines:

she kept five photos of the boy on her mantle and three in her wallet and seventeen on her refrigerator.
Though the boy did, in fact, disembark
Suppose it was dead rats, then? This intrigued him. He had thought his grandmother to be a bit lame, but this could prove she was okay after all.
"Finders keepers, losers weepers, sucker!" "*Grandma*!"
And best of all...

Clark Kent had trouble believing what he was hearing as he tuned
his superhearing into the police report:

A madwoman on a rampage? With a cartful of stolen Barbies?
Spraying people with rats?

Rats, rats . . . why did that sound so familiar?

Oh, crud.
rotflol

I am so glad that you decided to post this on the archive so that newbies like me could read your story. Thank you!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I saw this on the archive, but I didn't read it until I saw the feedback on the boards.

Edna P. Weber had not seen her grandson in years, but she kept five photos of the boy on her mantle and three in her wallet and seventeen on her refrigerator.
Nice description.

1994! That was almost ancient! In fact, Josh *would* have considered it ancient, had that not been the year he’d been born. Ten years old. No wonder the goo stuff had solidified.
I love how well you write 10-year-old boy.

BTW, it's my theory that spacerat goo is like the drugs that don't weaken after expiration, but instead get stronger as the water evaporates. It's a good thing he diluted it or Granny could have been stuck like that until the police had to gun her down.

Elisabeth

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard