Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#180791 12/15/05 07:38 PM
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Hey everyone, I was just wondering, in the course of *not* writing my politics paper, whether the "quote" that Lex says in HoL is real or not. If it is, who can it be attributed to?

The quote I'm talking about is:
"They say civilization was invented so that men could cooperate in the making of wine."

I've already Googled the phrase but the only results I got were L&C related. goofy

"Oh--as usual--dear." -Giles
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm guessing no.

I just searched Bartlett\'s Quotations for "civilization wine" and found nothing like that.

A net search with the same keywords turned up this book and this book , but not much else.

I think it's more of one of those "that's what they say" things, without anything real behind it. *shrug*

I could be wrong, of course.

There is the fact, though, that winemakers are traditionally very secretive rather than cooperative. Each vinyard has its own techniques which get passed from generation to generation, but are generally kept within the family. At least, that's how things were back when HoL aired.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Merriwether
Merriwether
It is quite the romantic quote. I've always liked it however, like HatMan said, I have no idea who may have said it.

It can though, have a tie with history:

"In Ancient Egypt, wine was considered only for the holy, perhaps in part because wine growing conditions were harsh and it was difficult to harvest a favourable crop and then produce a laudable wine. For this part of human civilization, the elite drank wine and the masses drank beer."

Hmm, cooperate to make the rich happy?

Great civilizations are noted by the class differences. . .

Some societies later became to think of wine as the water of life because of its great part in trade. Perhaps it stems out of that thought.

I have heard of the French drink their wine to pay their debt for being given civilization.

My first year history prof mentioned something about the Romans, who took from the Greeks, felt the idea of wine making was a sign of a great cultured civilization.

I found something referring to this idea. I don't know how reputable this site is:

"The beverage of the Roman world, as with the Greeks, was wine. It was more than a mere drink, but a sign of civilization. For beer, though known, was seen as fit for barbarians."
web page

Oh well.

I agree with the secrecty aspect. Ah, people get so secretive. The history of glass making entertains us with such a history as well.

Off to read. . .

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
My first year history prof mentioned something about the Romans, who took from the Greeks, felt the idea of wine making was a sign of a great cultured civilization.

I found something referring to this idea. I don't know how reputable this site is:

"The beverage of the Roman world, as with the Greeks, was wine. It was more than a mere drink, but a sign of civilization. For beer, though known, was seen as fit for barbarians."
That agrees with something one of my professors said when teaching us The Odyssey. The fact that Odysseus had wine with him on his trek was a sign of class and high status.

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard