Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#180640 11/24/05 05:09 AM
Greenie Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
In regards to Lois referring to her love life as series of 'federal disasters': Is this fanon or canon? If it's canon, which episode is it from? If it's fanon, should I have posted this question in the fanfic related section? Just wondering.

Quinolones!!
#180641 11/24/05 05:12 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think it's canon, from Virtually Destroyed.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#180642 11/24/05 06:43 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, it's from Virtually Destroyed:
CLARK: Lois, there's no pressure. Because I'm sure I've made the right choice. You're the one I've waited for.

LOIS: I wish I'd... waited, too.

CLARK: Shhhh, shhhhhh, don't.

LOIS: Well, I do. Especially since they were all practically federal disasters.

CLARK: Then look at it at that way. I'll be your first... non-federal disaster.
Andreia smile

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#180643 11/24/05 11:31 AM
Greenie Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Ahhh... I see. Or at least I will see sometime in the distant future when S3 comes out on DVD. Thanks guys!

Quinolones!!
#180644 11/25/05 05:45 AM
Greenie Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Thanks for the help with the first question, guys. I have another.

Clark calling Lois, 'Baby'.

Fanon or canon?

(And just as a side note, I *love* when writers include that endearment in their steamier scenes. Sigh, I wish it happened more often.)

Quinolones!!
#180645 11/25/05 05:59 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That's definitely a fanfic invention. smile I absolutely loathe 'baby' as an 'endearment' - she's an adult, not an infant! razz - so I hate to see that used in fanfic. It jerks me right out of the story and leaves me recoiling. But there is one fic which I absolutely adore and where Clark calling Lois 'baby' barely makes me wince, instead of the usual cringe. That's Baby, Baby, by Kathy Brown.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#180646 11/25/05 07:49 AM
Greenie Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
I absolutely loathe 'baby' as an 'endearment' - she's an adult, not an infant! - so I hate to see that used in fanfic. It jerks me right out of the story and leaves me recoiling
Heh, normally, in any other fandom I'd completely agree with you. X-Files? Ew. Stargate? Vomit. L&C? Aw, it's kinda cute when they're getting all sexy. Kind of like a marker for when Clark is past all the niceties and is now fully focused on the sex at hand to the exclusion of all other things. In any other L&C settings, the bullpen, governor's ball, press conference, etc, it would be jarring/condecending. I just like seeing the endearment in bedroom scenes.

Quinolones!!
#180647 11/25/05 09:25 AM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
The baby thing is all Kathy's fault in my opinion. goofy I'll agree with you, Athena, that I only like to hear it in their more private moments, if at all. And I think I've been brainwashed by Kathy, having read Camping With Clark... a lot of times. laugh

Here's why. From Camping With Clark by Kathy Brown:

"You're the only girl I want to impress, baby," Clark said tenderly. He brought her hand in for a soft kiss, his face clearly showing the immense love he felt for her.

Lois' stomach flip-flopped as she listened to his voice. She always loved it when he used that particular endearment. It meant he was feeling especially comfortable and close to her. When they were with other people, or just going about their daily activities, he occasionally used other words, too, words like honey and sweetie. But, *baby*, that was reserved for the bedroom or other private times like this. Lois breathed in deeply, releasing his hand. "I love you, Clark."
Though now if I try, it's actually a bit difficult to hear him actually saying it. huh

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#180648 11/25/05 09:47 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
In other awesome story, Super Stud by ML Thompson, Clark calls Lois Baby but he's under the influence of the pheromone compound. There's nfic version too, of course. drool

Andreia blush

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#180649 11/25/05 10:08 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I'm with Wendy on this one. I detest 'baby' as an endearment and I just cannot imagine Clark ever saying it to Lois. However, I do tolerate it in Kathy's stories because they are just so darn good!

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
#180650 11/25/05 11:48 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I believe I've had Clark use the word "baby" in more private moments toward Lois.

I for one, don't mind the usage of that word...maybe it's because my boyfriend calls me that as well. blush

#180651 11/25/05 06:26 PM
Greenie Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Hmm, given that Clark's use of 'baby' has its origins in fanfic (and superb fanfic at that) I'll have to admit that I like the endearment mainly because it was introduced in such terrific context. I've read "Camping With Clark" and "Super Stud" and thoroughly enjoyed both pieces.

I guess it's like brocolli. If the first time you have it and it's prepared in a way that tastes *awful* there's a good chance you'll never like it in any dish whatsoever. But if your first taste is spectacular it'll be your favorite veggie forever and ever.

So thanks to my mom I love brocolli and thanks to Kathy B and ML Thompson I love Clark calling Lois 'Baby' smile1

Quinolones!!
#180652 11/25/05 10:37 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
LOL! Good comparsion.

In my case though, I love the use of "baby" and I HATE brocolli. razz

#180653 11/26/05 11:23 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wondering slightly off topic...

For some people there's absolutely nothing you can do to make them like broccoli. It's got a strong bitter taste to it that only some people (if they've got the right/wrong taste receptors) can detect. Some other green vegetables have it to. They're not lying when they say they loathe it!

On the other hand, it does help prevent cancer.

Those are my factoids for the day. smile

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
#180654 11/26/05 11:53 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Yep, that's the one reason why my mom made me eat it as a kid. I always complained because she never made my younger sister eat it...but she said my sister was such a picky eater that she'd be at that the dinner table well into the night trying to eat it!

Still...every time I look at broccoli or even get a hint of it...it makes me want to barf!

Okay...going back to our regularly scheduled discussion. goofy

#180655 11/26/05 01:04 PM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
The reason I used 'baby' in Superstud was because I knew people found it jarring. In Phermone, My Lovely, Lois calls Clark 'my darling' while she's under the influence of the pheromone compound (And I found that jarring). I considered having Clark use the same term of endearment referring to her. But I kept hearing Luthor's voice in my head. So I changed it to having Clark call Lois 'baby' while under the influence of the compound.

However, if I recall correctly, when he tries calling her that after he's no longer under the influence, she threatens him with grave bodily harm laugh .

Personally, 'baby' just doesn't sound like something Clark would call Lois (except perhaps during sex). On the other hand, I really like it when Lois calls Clark 'baby.' In my mind, something about that really works. (Either that or I've just lost my mind blush )

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#180656 11/26/05 01:36 PM
Greenie Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Originally posted by LoisLane9397:
Okay...going back to our regularly scheduled discussion. goofy [/QB]
I've only been going through the L&C fandom for the past few months. But I was wondering what the biggest fanon items were in the L&C fanfic world? I haven't seen anything past the first season since the show ended in the late nineties but I remember (and have read about) the general plotlines of the subsequent seasons. So what little bits of flavor have the FoLC added to the world of Lois and Clark?

Quinolones!!
#180657 11/26/05 01:46 PM
Greenie Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Originally posted by MLT:
The reason I used 'baby' in Superstud was because I knew people found it jarring.
I actually went back and read 'Superstud' after I posted that other reply. It does work more as you intentioned, as a red flag phrase, than what I was talking about. I just didn't want to edit my reply as I do so enjoy your fic. (They're a large part of why I've ventured onto these boards.) And I'm pathologically adverse to retracting and/or editing any of my posts. (Except for spelling, grammar, and coding!) =)

Quinolones!!
#180658 11/26/05 02:32 PM
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Hey, Greenie! Welcome to the boards! smile1

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#180659 11/26/05 02:40 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hm, fanon, let me think.

One, I believe, is that after steeling Lois' story, Claude told the entire newsroom about Lois sleeping with him. As for as I know, this isn't canon.

Another is Lois regularly going over to Clark's appartment to eat pizza and watch videos. I can only think of one time they did this on the show. But I like the thought of Lois going to Clark's place to hang out laugh
And it is very possible this happened off screen.

Can't think of much at the moment.

Greets,

~ An ~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard