Next Thread
Print Thread
#180388 10/16/05 07:46 PM
B
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
B
Okay, I know im weird...Its late and I'm thinking about this and I was just wondering about everyones opinion on this.......

How are Clark's eyes invulnerable?

Not how in the sense that says 'hmm how is this guy invulnerable' but how in the sense that says 'if I get a grain of sand in my eye it feels like a form of torture...' eyes are sensitive...I feel we should all explore this lol...it bugs me
smile BTW even as im posting this I am hysterically laughing at myself, so it's okay if you all want to as well thumbsup

Dear Aquaman, Tell all the fishes Merry Christmas
Cassandra Cain and Tim Drake
A Very Tim and Cassie Christmas
#180389 10/16/05 11:46 PM
Columnist
Columnist
drool

#180390 10/17/05 01:25 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Actually, all of his senses are "super." Senses other than sight and hearing don't come up too often, but they are all super-sensitive. It's never quite explained what this means in terms of invulnerability, but the best version I heard was along the lines of "Sure, the bullets bounce off, but that doesn't mean I don't feel them when they do."

So, yeah, almost certainly feel a spec of dust or something. Of course, there's the question of how he'd feel it. If his body is invulnerable, than something like that wouldn't be doing any damage. So, while he'd know that it's there, he probably wouldn't find it painful. (Same goes for the bullets, actually.) It probably could get pretty irritating after a while, though.

Oh, and incidentally, I now get to do one of my favorite things as a boards moderator. See, this is a question about Superman. Therefore, it is actually on topic. So, I'm going to move it to a different forum. laugh

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#180391 10/17/05 09:22 AM
Blogger
Blogger
I agree with those posts ^^

#180392 10/17/05 02:39 PM
B
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
B
whoops! put in in the wrong folder smile But I guess that's good since you got to move it Paul!

I agree as well Lord Nor smile I am at rest for now lol til the next insane question comes to my mind...be on the lookout! :p

Dear Aquaman, Tell all the fishes Merry Christmas
Cassandra Cain and Tim Drake
A Very Tim and Cassie Christmas
#180393 10/17/05 03:38 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Not to worry. It's not a big deal at all. (And yeah, it's probably just me, but I have fun being able to say, "This is on topic, so I'm going to have to move it...")

Anyway, IMO, no question, honestly asked, is ever too silly to answer. (As if there was such a thing as "too silly" in the first place... wink ) I, for one, think it's fun to wonder about these things and to try to come up with real answers to fictional questions. Glad we could satisfy your curiousity. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#180394 10/21/05 02:09 PM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
hey, I have a similar, closely related question...

what about when he needs new glasses? who does he go to? It's gotta be someone who won't scream "MY GOD IT'S SUPERMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" when he takes his old ones off.

so, like, yeah. where does he go?

and, just to be irritating.....where do his street clothes go when he changes into superman?

and who is going to rock me to sleep tonight?

#180395 10/21/05 02:23 PM
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Originally posted by Sileas:
what about when he needs new glasses? who does he go to? It's gotta be someone who won't scream "MY GOD IT'S SUPERMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" when he takes his old ones off.
He goes to the man that lives under that rock... <g>

I'd imagine he wouldn't actually have one, since it'd be more suspicious when they figured out there was nothing wrong with his eyes. Are his glasses even perscription? <g>

where do his street clothes go when he changes into superman?
He swallows them... don't ask how he gets them back. smirk

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#180396 10/21/05 07:41 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The glasses... They sell non-perscription glasses for various purposes. Costumes being the most obvious (George Reeves didn't need glasses during the first couple seasons of The Adventures of Superman). Also... my mom used to teach at the local university (Rutgers), and before her first day on the job, the school offered her a pair of non-perscription glasses. They said they offered them to all their younger professors because students take teachers with glasses more seriously.

Of course, they also sell glasses with basic low perscriptions at various places (drugstores, bookstores, etc). With Clark's eyes, the distortion shouldn't really be a problem.

In any case, the glasses are only the most obvious and symbolic part of the disguise. They do change the shape of his face and all, but there's more to it than that. His posture and bearing change. There have been a few other things mentioned, too (that he blurs his face by moving at super-speed, that he changes his voice, etc). More importantly, though, there's the fact that no one would think to look at Clark and see Superman "in disguise."

As for his clothes... There have been a few attempts to answer this. One explanation is that he super-compresses them. You wouldn't think that would really work that well, though. Especially not for the boots. My favorite explanation is from Debby Stark's classic "Dawning" series -- one of Clark's less obvious powers is the ability to access a pocket of hyperspace (perhaps by moving at super speed), where he can store certain items such as a change of clothes.

Paul

#180397 10/21/05 08:01 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
His invulnerability is really based on his aura, which probably prevents things traveling at high speed from puncturing. My guess is that the aura protects him with an almost equal and opposite reaction (almost is to prevent people from getting killed by the ricochet) to prevent him from getting hurt by bullets. As such, he may or may not feel it. He can probably consciously allow things inside his aura so he can feel just like anyone else. Hmm.

That could make for an interesting storyline. He lets a Lois clone inside his aura just before they're about to make love and she plants some poison patch on him and he dies a terrible, painful death. He'll get better, though. laugh

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#180398 10/23/05 08:17 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by HatMan:
Also... my mom used to teach at the local university (Rutgers), and before her first day on the job, the school offered her a pair of non-prescription glasses. They said they offered them to all their younger professors because students take teachers with glasses more seriously.
That is hysterical. I wonder if my mom (who taught at Rutgers some 25 years ago) was made that offer (she was quite young at the time). I will have to ask her. laugh

(She said no, btw.)

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#180399 11/10/05 03:14 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I like glasses. Mind you I don't have any good ones to wear to work...nor do I need them. I wish I had a nice pair. There are many I like....why? I feel smarter with them on.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard