K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
I Love This Fandom!

I can't say that I remember exactly how I came across folcdom, but I'll be forever grateful that I did. In the last year, I've come back to this fandom to find a group of people whom are indescribably wonderful, witty, humo(u)rous, kind, generous, intelligent, resourceful… well the list goes on and on. In my hometown, I can count the number of close friends I have on one hand… well, I'd actually only need one finger for that. I really cherish the fact that I can sign online night or day and have a friend to talk to.

How weird is it that some of my dearest friends are people I've never met? It saddens me sometimes to think about how far away they are, but all I have to do is sign on to IRC and have Rachel bock at me, Julie throw a moose at me, Paul make a joke to cheer me up, Sas nag me to write something else… and they put a smile on my face.

And where else but folcdom, can you talk to your favorite author… even call her your friend, find the answer to the computer question that's been plaguing you, find someone from just about any profession or life experience if you ever need an answer, find a wealth of fiction of quality that far surpasses any of the published authors you've read, take a poll on how you should redecorate… the list goes on again…

I've never met a more fantastic group of people. I've never felt more at home. And I've never felt more loved.

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#177223 01/10/05 10:42 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Awwwww, I feel the same way hon! twins

Rach

Oh and just for you! BOCKAAAA!!!! laugh

Me: what are you looking at *Snatches pic* OMFG! Dean smeared in peanut butter?! WTF?!
Sara: LMAO it was chocolate!! smeared in chocolate!
Me: LMFAO chocolate smeared in chocolate!
Sara: LMAO the *chocolate* isn't smeared in chocolate!
Me: that's the way i read it. was trying to picture chocolate smeared in chocolate
Sara: ROTFLMAO
#177224 01/10/05 10:46 PM
S
Blogger
Blogger
S
Havn't known you'all very long but you guys have been what I've needed so many time to escape my "normal life" awesome :-) - Katie

#177225 01/11/05 01:42 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Awwwwww -right back at ya, kid! smile1

I'm delighted to have you back - your stories brought a smile to my face waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when I first joined this fandom and I enjoy your company on irc.

I count myself fortunate to have this playground where there is such a great bunch of people to hang out with. clap Give yourselves a pat on the back for making this such a fun place to be. sloppy

And the best thing of all about it, is that every year I make more new friends. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#177226 01/11/05 02:14 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I Love This Fandom!
Me too!

AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#177227 01/11/05 02:49 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I love this fandom too!!!

I love being married to a psychofurball who bocks people. I love being corrected by a Rat. I love reading stories written by a queen and I love being called Mad Dog.

Whats there not to love???

MDL laugh

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
#177228 01/11/05 03:13 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, me too... Folcs, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways... goofy

Fandom has been a big part in my life for almost ten years now... I met my best friend & acquired a social life.

When I had a screamy baby in the middle of the night I could go on IRC and interact with adults.

I've gotten e-mail from many many countries, and I now send international Christmas cards smile

I love that people here really care about quality writing. (As a new e-mail friend put it: "it's been refreshing to see so many GOOD writers--people who know the difference between "to" and "too" and "your" and "you're", and who actually know what proper punctuation is. Not to mention the ability to construct realistic dialogue.")

I've met other parents of autistic kids.

A year after my son was diagnosed with autism, a fan group dedicated their charity auction proceeds to autism research. More recently, FOLCs donated to a scholarship fund -- a friend was cleaning house and letting go of some of her huge collection of L&C stuff. Some of them bought the L&C stuff, some of them simply sent contributions.

I love that people on these boards are all ages & stages of life, and all respect each other, and are able to have discussions and disagreements without descending into flame wars.

I love the way people volunteer their time (and sometimes money) to put together our archives, message boards, mailing lists, awards programs... this fandom wouldn't be anything at all if it weren't for people working together, just out of love for the show.

I love that we have such a variety of writers & styles -- again, very high quality writers!

I love the way FOLCs get goofy on IRC goofy Y'all are *nuts* and great to hang out with. I love the official channel ficus, and I love throwing lightning bolts, all goddess-like and everything wink

I love that one of my stories was translated into French!

I love the way that I can simply assume that every FOLC I meet is going to become a friend.

And there are many many more things, I'm sure, that I can't think of at the moment...

But now, I'd better get to bed before my husband comes down and starts listing all the things he *doesn't* love wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard