Next Thread
Print Thread
#176939 10/24/04 06:19 AM
sandrad Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi everyone! wave

I've read quite a few long stories on the Archive with no problems before, but lately I've noticed that for some odd reason, the fics I read would be cut off mid-sentence, and there'd be no ending! So I'd click Refresh and the last part of the fic would pop up...for about 3 seconds, and then it would disappear again, leaving the fic hanging. Does anyone know what's up with that, or does anyone have the same problem?

I've tried just saving the fics and they would turn out okay, but they're unformatted and just harder to read, ya know?

I'd love to hear from anyone!

Mirage smile

Clark: You're really high maintenance, aren't you?

Lois: Yes, but I'm worth it!
Merriwether
Merriwether
I have only printed two story off in the past week from them - The House of Kent & Hearts Divided (??). For me the latter didn't print all the way. It just stopped b/c there was no more fic to print. Now I'm stuck w/ an unfinished ending.

Which fics have encoutnered that this has happened to you? I'll go see if it happens to me to. I plan on checking mine later on today to see if it was my computer that was acting silly yesterday when I was printing.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
sandrad Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
smile Hi Roo, thanks for the offer to help! I can't remember some of the titles from before, but the more recent ones that I've been reading that haven't been working (unless if I save them) include Abigail Jolie's Thanksgiving Hunger/A Homemade Present, I Saw Mommy Kissing Superman, and Christy's AKA Daddy.

I've noticed, however, that if I go to the Kerth site and click on the winners, the links come up alright, and they're linked from the Archive, aren't they?

Weird, isn't it? But thanks for checking this out for me!

Mirage

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've checked the stories mentioned here and they all load for me just fine, complete and intact. huh This is on the Lois and Clark Fanfic Archive - right?

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
sandrad Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi LabRat! Yep - all from the archive. I'm starting to think maybe I have some sort of virus or bug...I should stop downloading music!

But thanks for taking the time out to check it for me!

Mirage smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I wonder if it's something with your browser or browser settings. What browser are you using?

Also, if you're using Windows, have you tried opening the downloaded files in Word instead of Notepad?

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Merriwether
Merriwether
I used to have this problem when I was on dial-up ... the server would hang in the middle of the download and not finish uploading the story. If you copy or print the file before it's all there, you get an incomplete file. The reason you see that last part of the page flash when you refresh is because it's the first attempt "finishing" and then being replaced by the second attempt, which also hangs. Very, very frustrating, I agree.

As for a solution, though, I'm not sure ... it might be a matter of clearing your cache or seeing if you have any other obvious problems, like a virus or slow software/hardware. But beyond that, it seems like a connection problem. Definitely not something wrong with the Archive.

Good luck; I sympathize.

Kathy

sandrad Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks everyone, for trying to help me out! smile

I actually use cable and Internet Explorer.

Paul: Yes, it works much better that way, thanks! thumbsup

Kathy: Yeah, I think I either have to clear my cache or I have a virus... I mean, I use cable, so that can't be the problem. This is so annoying. Maybe I should just resort to d/ling everything if I'm reading from the archive! But thanks a bunch! smile

Mirage

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The only time I don't get a complete story is if I copy it before it has completely downloaded. And of course, one goes "duh" at that. But...I have an explanation. I found after a time that sometimes the stories hang up toward the end (internet traffic and all) and the little black bar in the lower right is still solid and *almost* to the end. A tiny difference in being not quite to the end can make a huge difference in how much of the story you have in your browser window. I use Netscape, but also have I.E. Anyway, the advice is to make sure the loading bar on the lower right has vanished before you copy the story. Just for info, I don't print anything. I read off my computer or my handheld.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The only time I don't get a complete story is if I copy it before it has completely downloaded. And of course, one goes "duh" at that.
LOL, that brings back memories. Took me a time to stop getting so excited about new fanfic when I first found the Archive to wait the extra seconds for that 'done' to appear at the bottom of my screen. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by LabRat:
LOL, that brings back memories. Took me a time to stop getting so excited about new fanfic when I first found the Archive to wait the extra seconds for that 'done' to appear at the bottom of my screen. goofy

LabRat smile [/QB]
Yeah, I remember trying to download one particular story <cough Caped Fear cough> that took several attempts on our little 56k modem...

But it was well worth the 3 hours.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Merriwether
Merriwether
It hasn't happened to me lately. For me there is no downloading time, it is instant so I thought it was weird that click after click I still had the same outcome that weekend.

Well I totally forgot about the story I was into in October. There was a link to this from another topic. I am so glad b/c I couldn't find out what story I had started off!!!

I'm going to go and read the rest. Hopefully it works for me now.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard