Page 1 of 2 1 2
#173676 04/30/03 07:47 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I know this one's been asked before. More than once. But the other recent nostalgia threads have been so much fun and so interesting to read that I thought I'd asked again. Besides, like fanfic, there are always new people with new stories to tell. Right?

So, when and how did you discover LNC? Were you hooked right from the start, love at first sight? wink Or was it a gradual process that snuck up on you? And what was the very first episode you watched?

I'll be back later with my story (got some important writing to do first wink ). But for now - over to you!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I discovered it because of all the commercials ABC played the summer before it premiered. I knew I'd watch it when it started, because I absolutely love the Superman story and always have, but I was really nervous that I'd wind up hating the new version. I loved the old movies and watched them a lot. And I read the comic books off and on. I was in Jr. High at the time, and already knew I wanted to be a journalist. In all honesty, I think at the time I didn't know much about real journalism and just wanted to be Lois Lane. I was excited that Lois would feature prominently in this one and it was more about The Daily Planet and Clark Kent's life than about Superman, since that was alway my favorite aspect. But I still was not convinced.

I watched the Pilot and fell in love immediately. I was so glad I'd decided to give it a chance. I was hooked from that point forward. Most of my friends were Sea Quest fans, so I was the odd man out, but I didn't care. After it went off the air, I was sad, but when I got to college I discovered the reruns on TNT and got hooked again. smile

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
yeah. promo ads before the series aired. i saw an ep or two, but it was up against seaquest. my parents both liked that and weren't interested in l&c. i liked both. so, we all watched seaquest for 2 years and i saw a mere handfull of l&c eps.

then seaquest got cancelled, and i started watching more regularly. chatted with FoLCs on compuserve, then got pointed to the ficlist. that's when i got hooked. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I saw advertisements for it on Channel 7 in 1994 until then I wasn't into the Superman saga more to the point I never watched tv all that much, but this show seemed interesting and so I decided to watch the pilot episode. I was about 8 or 9 then so I wasn't completely hooked on it at that instant, but I did like the plot and the kind of woman that Lois Lane was portrayed as. The scenes that I'll always remember (apart from Clark's chest YUM!) are the hand print on the bus and the look on Lois' face when she first meets Clark as Superman now only if her first impression of Clark as Clark would've been like that it sure would have saved us all that misery of waiting for something that was already completely obvious!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Columnist
Columnist
peep

Same here - ads during Star Trek, on some channels, I think. I'd seen the movies and thought they were halfway cool, thought I'd give this new show a try. Came in on the premiere - although I might have forgot about it so came in after it began, I can't remember. Anyway, as I said in another thread, Seaquest was on in the same time slot that season, so I flipped channels during LnC commercials (often coming back to find I'd missed the beginning of the next segment) for a while until I realized that I liked LnC better. Was watching LnC full-time by about halfway through the first season, I guess. Had to miss the last half of third due to going to Africa for six months of 1996, but managed to get caught up since then... God, I miss my tapes!

Melisma (under her Rock, still looking for squinty-vision eps to play on her computer... Can anyone help her?)

peep

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
My story is pretty much like everyone’s so far. I was at my friend Lauren’s house when we saw the ads that the BBC was putting on for the Pilot. This was way back in 1993/4, I was 12 at the time and was just starting to appreciate cute pop stars and film stars! So I fell in love with Dean immediately, without even seeing one episode! drool

Anyway, I had seen the Superman movies but was never really into them but I totally loved the Pilot and was hooked from there on in, I think because its always been about Lois and Clark for me and not the whole superhero mythology.
Lauren and I would sit around one another’s houses on a Saturday afternoon waiting impatiently for the next episode, we’d talk about Lois and Clark constantly to our other friends who all thought that we were crazy for liking a ‘dumb’ show like Superman (which is what it is known as most of the time over here) I had every poster/ magazine article/ interview of Dean and Teri that I could get my hands on and taped all of the episodes from Sky One in late 96, (they repeated the whole 3 seasons before they showed Season 4 in 97)

As we got older her interest got less and less as I got more obsessed! goofy I was devastated when it got cancelled but still used to watch my tapes quite often, even when I went to Uni! I used to think that I was a little crazy for still liking a show that had been take off air years ago but then 18months ago I found all you guys who were just as obsessed as I was, so I wasn’t that crazy after all (well maybe not! laugh )

Sarah-Jayne smile

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve - Still Me
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
At a very early age I was introduced to the George Reeves TV series by my father. Our family always had a supply of Superman comics and I have seen all the Christopher Reeve Superman movies. It was only natural that when Lois and Clark was advertised I would watch it. goofy

Tricia cool

Blogger
Blogger
I grew up watching George Reeves and reading Superman comic books. One Sunday my SIL called and told me to check out the cute guy wink playing Superman. Well I fell in love with Dean. wink I still watch the show everyday. smile I get on my treadmill and walk while the show is on.Watching Dean makes walking the treadmill alot more enjoyable. smile

Top Banana
Top Banana
I can't remember when the show aired here for the first time. When I was channel hopping I sometimes saw bits of the show and what I saw was good. Unfortunately around that time we always had to have dinner.

Then came my birthday! I got a VCR! (already had a TV) so I started recording the show. It was around season 3 by now. (THey aired the whole thing after each other so I never had the problem of cliffhangers, there is something to say about watching US shows in the Netherlands sometimes). I got hooked on it and was disappointed it stopped after S4.

So when I got internet at home I started searching for Lois and Clark and after a while found the archive (that's another story that can be read elsewhere). Around that time the showed moved to another channel for re-runs. And I was so happy! We're in the second round of re-runs now, but I prefer watching the show on BBC.

We get subtitles here and people can translate so poorly... I just can't stand that. On the other hand, we don't do difficult about some scenes so I've seen the complete versions.

Okay, I got sidetracked. But that's my story.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
I watched it from the beginning on Sunday nights. We had three shows (L&C, Murder, She Wrote and SeaQuest) and two vcrs so if we were ever not home on Sunday night...it was ugly. wink

Some of my friends made fun of me for how obsessed I was with the show...which, compared to how obsessed I am now, was nothing! But I wasn't online. And when it was cancelled, I forgot about, with random searches on the internet sometimes when I was bored, trying to find out what happened to it (you know, with that whole awful ending place which I was convinced wasn't the end, I just missed the second part). Eventually discovered fanfic and am so much more obsessed than I was then.

But, as someone said in the delurking thread, I think, I *stay* obsessed because of all the friends in the fandom as much as because of the characters/show/fanfic. We talk about so much on IRC, AIM, and the boards. I don't know what I'd do without everyone.

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
M
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
M
I know I started watching LnC in 1997. One of the two English Channels in Singapore (I don't have cable) broadcasted it on Saturday afternoons. Shows from US take so long to get to Singapore, I'm not sure if I caught it when they first broadcasted it, or was it during a rerun . I don't remember seeing it duing primetime though so... Lote, if you are reading this, do you remember?

I started watched LnC from mid season 2. At least I started watching LnC regularly. I don't remember watching any of the earlier episodes, but I have a few images/memories of these earlier ones. I'm wondering if I ever watched them, or if the numerous screen-caps that I've seen since clouded my memory somewhat. :p Sigh. I don't even trust what I do remember.

Going off topic here. I've always thought that Folc was a very unique/interesting way of naming a fan of Lois and Clark as the word 'folc' sounds like 'folk'. I just realised today that in Saxon/Old English, 'folk' *is* spelt as 'folc'. Am I slow or what? blush

twins
metwin1

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Star Trek started me off, believe it or not! ST got me into sci-fi/fantasy type stuff, so when I saw it advertised on BBC2 (if they think something's going to be popular, they advertise like crazy! hyper ) I watched it cause it was 'sci-fi'. (At that time sci-fi was definately in the minority, even as young as I was I saw that!) I think I stayed with it because it was about the characters and their lives, not the storyline/villain of the week!

I remember the loooong wait for S3 (watched the TV guide religiously) but don't really remember the long wait for S4. I do however remember watching Lord of the Flys when it finally appeared. It was a Saturday evening (*might* have been Sunday, other UK Folc's can help me here!) and the family was in the kitchen having dinner. I think I had over-ruled everyone as to the choice of channel while we had dinner and then I made them sit in silence while I watched (my sister was an occassional fan so there was some support there)! Parents kept trying to interrupt and ask why such and such was happening! I was glad I was taping it and could see it uninterrupted later, but there was something to be said for the 'live' viewing! laugh

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I've been collecting comic books since I was eight-years-old, so when I saw ads for a new version of Superman, I had to watch it. I was hooked from the first moment. I was also a fan of SeaQuest, but that's what VCRs were invented for. thumbsup

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm surprised that I remember the answer to this. I actually hated the show at first. When the very first episode came on back in whenever (93, 94?), I happened to wander into my parent's den, and like my whole family was glued to the set. I was like, "What in the world are you guys watching? Whatever." But I was hooked by the middle of the season. It was the only tv in the house at the time...it was either watch that or stare at the wall. And interestingly enough, by the time the series ended, I was the one with the obsession, and my family couldn't care less about the show. (I know: what's wrong with them?) laugh

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Well Loriel, Season 1- 3 were shown on the BBC on a Saturday evening but then Sky One showed season 4 before the BBC and showed it on a Sunday night, so depending on what channel you first saw season 4 on, depends on which channel you watched it on! If this makes any sense! goofy So Sunday nights became L&C nights for the final season where I would watch that weeks episode twice just to make sure I hadn’t missed anything! laugh

Sarah-Jayne smile (who is quite enjoying this reminiscing thing… ahhh the good old days… laugh )

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve - Still Me
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I used to be a Star Trek fan. I mean, I used to go to conventions and everything. Even owned a uniform.

Anyway, I first saw the pilot at a Star Trek convention. I think it must have been in January 1994; certainly it was before the pilot was shown on BBC1 here.

I'd always had a soft spot for Superman, and was always more interested in Clark Kent than Superman, so I was automatically hooked.

Seeing the show at the convention meant that I was all eager and primed for it to turn up on the TV screens.

BTW, when all this was going on, I was living in Birmingham, renting a room in a shared house. It wasn't until a few years later that I got a hand me down VCR, so I have a very long suffering father to thank for endless videoing and tape hording until I could go home for a weekend. Then I would stay up very late in the evenings to catch up on my Lois and Clark (re)watching, with some ST: TNG episodes thrown in for good measure.

I still have the LnC tapes, but the ST tapes went to that VCR in the sky about three years ago when I moved into a flat with only a limited amount of storage space. I guess that shows where my allegiances now lie.

Chris

Merriwether
Merriwether
I first watched LnC because it was mentioned on the evening news... wink No, really!

I explained the rest in the "most memorable" thread.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I discovered it because it was advertised in TV guide. I am a total super-hero/scifi/fantasy fanatic, always have been, always will be. Anyway, I tuned in for the very first episode and never missed a show after that... summers between the cliffhanger and the startup never really bothered me, I was always too busy, but I would get rather antsy about taping the hour when the new season was about to start... the funny thing is, mid second season to mid third season, I did not have cable or a TV, but never missed a show.

I got my father in law to tape it for me and watched it the next week at the family dinner :)He always said, "life does not revolve around the TV Marnie." and I would say... "no, but I like this show so pleease!" And he faithfully taped it for me... I often joke with my husband that I did not marry him, I married his family. <g>

Marns
~pobody's nerfect
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Sarah-Jayne,

I was a faithful BBC watcher! smile We never had Sky at the time, and we still don't. Every so often, my sister or will mention it, but we never hold out any hope. My father is NOT into sci-fi/fantasy/popular TV shows, which would be the reason for getting Sky.
You're not watching *that* garbage are you?
We usually just ignore him. wink

My mum watches all the sci-fi but she's almost to busy to stay caught up what's on the 5 terrestial channels (if I didn't tape it all, she'd never see it) to watch another 100 channels!

I don't really mind anymore, I'm usually too busy at uni to miss the lack of sky TV. Tho, at the moment I'd love it, as BBC are really playing about with L&C on the schedules! grumble grumble

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
Features Writer
Features Writer
I remember being intrigued by the preview ads that summer of 1993. I was a big fan of the first two Superman movies (although not overly fond of the geeky Clark character). And I know that I watched the pilot, or at least part of it, because I distinctly remember the scene with Clark trying on all the different costumes, and I remember being surprised by some of the changes from the movies.

But I didn't keep watching. I don't know whether to blame my son (who was almost one at the time) or my husband (I know that we sometimes watched SeaQuest). Maybe I'll blame both of them laugh

Next thing I remember is seeing an ad for the season finale where they talked about Lois marrying Lex. And that horrified me! That was just so foreign to everything I believed in, so there was no way I was going to watch that!

Fast forward to 2001. One morning I had some extra time in the morning routine, and channel surfing brought me to Tempus Fugitive. Wow. I love time travel stories. And who was this "gorgeous" guy in glasses? I'm not sure how long it took me to figure out exactly what I was watching, and I don't remember how much of the episode I got to watch, but I was definitely interested...

I didn't see every episode from then on, but I saw enough to know that by the time Season 1 came around again, I had to be ready with the VCR.

I also got a good friend of mine hooked on the show as well. While I was still taping daily, we had to leave town very suddenly for several days on a family emergency. So I contacted my friend Wendy and asked her if she could tape L&C for me. When I got back and called her, almost her first words to me were "the man who plays Clark is so gorgeous!" She became a fan on her first episode, The Dad Who Came In From the Cold.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard