Part 22
There's Always Something

By Xanabee

Softly, Superman landed in a deserted alley in a seedy neighborhood in Radisson City. He quickly spun out of the suit and a minute later Clark Kent walked out, tugging at his tie. He didn’t stop to take in his surroundings but headed purposely to the dilapidated buildings on his right, ignoring the people who were also hurrying down the busy street.

Clark passed a variety of small shops situated at street level of the five stories high building and stopped at the bottom of the stairs leading to the apartments above a grocery store. He paused, checking to make sure he’d gotten the right number. Yes, this was the address Anna Johnston had written down in her neat handwriting: 444 Saffron Street. If Anna’s informants were right then this was where Joey Bermuda’s ex-wife, Sandy DeAngelo, lived with her eleven year old daughter Cheryl Marie.

Only, they didn’t go by the DeAngelo name anymore. Nor did they stay put for very long. It was clear that Sandy DeAngelo feared for her life and that of her child. She’d constantly been on the move and it had taken them weeks to track her down.

Anna had tried to find her under her maiden name and when that didn’t pan out, under her mother’s maiden name. Anna’s spies had scoured Metropolis, searching for clues. At one point Lois had even involved Bobby Bigmouth, but he hadn’t been able to come up with anything substantial. In five years the woman had managed pretty well to cover her tracks. But then again, not well enough.

Before she’d married Joey DeAngelo, Sandy Halliday had worked in a hardware shop. In fact, it was there that they had met. Perry White himself had provided the winning clue. When Anna and Lois had been reluctant but ready to admit defeat he’d suggested they use a map to draw an ever-growing circle around Metropolis and look for her in every hardware store in every town and village. The Chief had also involved inspector Bill Henderson in the search. After all, Bill knew why Clark had visited Bermuda in jail and had access to more efficient and larger search facilities in the police department.

Anna had, together with the police researcher Bill Henderson had assigned to help with the search, systematically eliminated town after town, store after store, until they’d struck dirt: Sandy DeAngelo worked at a hardware store in Radisson City, about two hundred miles south of Metropolis, under the name of Sally Hayes.

Clark frowned as he regarded the shabby entrance of the building where Sandy and her daughter lived – a far cry from the luxurious townhouse they’d shared with Joey.

Clark knew what time it was but still he glanced at his watch, just to make sure. This was the time Sandy usually arrived home from her first job as saleslady at the hardware store. She’d have two hours to hurriedly cook and eat dinner and spend some quality time with her daughter before she’d have to leave for her second job as member of a cleaning crew in a large downtown office complex.

There she was, right on time.

“Mrs. DeAngelo?” Clark stepped forward just as Sandy hurriedly reached the stairs leading to her apartment.

“Oh God…” A frightened whimper escaped Sandy’s throat as she stared into the first familiar face she’d seen in years.

“Ready when you are, Bates.” Alan Cornell picked up the suitcase Bertram had placed on the terrace and proceeded to walk back to the runway where the small airplane was waiting to take off for Miami.

Mindy Lachapelle, rose tinted sunglasses on her nose, walked out onto the terrace where an impeccably dressed Bertram stood with his business case in his right hand, a lightweight coat meticulously folded over his left arm. He looked every inch a butler and Mindy’s mouth curled into a satisfactory smile. She glanced at his left hand and nodded approvingly. The small sliver of green Kryptonite set in the gold tie-pin Bertram was wearing glinted as he waited for his last instructions.

“Don’t ever take off that pin, Bertram. If my sources are right, even the tiniest piece of Kryptonite will weaken Superman. After that, the big chunk will finish him off. If you need to contact me you’ll have to do so through Costanza – never call or write directly from Metropolis. And if anything happens to Costanza you’re on your own. After the job’s done you’ll wait in Miami for Alan to pick you up. Understood?”

“Perfectly, Madam,” Bertram, who’d heard these instructions more times than he cared to remember, curbed his impatience and stood impassively, waiting for the boss lady to give him permission to leave.

“Good luck.”

The glaring sunlight shot golden sparks off her blond hair as Mindy abruptly turned and walked towards the open doors of her poolside office. She didn’t look back to see Bertram leave; her mind was already focusing on another problem that needed her immediate attention. Those pesky sons of her late husband were really closing in on her. It was clear that they weren’t going to be satisfied until they’d reclaimed all of their late father’s possessions. Well, they could think again – no matter how many lawsuits they filed against her, she wasn’t going to budge.

“Here we are and there's Bertha, already waiting for us at the entrance. Lois, it looks as if she’s leaving on a trip around the world - or holding court - are these the ladies of the infamous ‘welcome committee’?”

"I think so… and under command of the unflappable Julia, of course. Hello, Bertha!"

Lois waved at a smiling Bertha Avery who waited patiently until Clark had jumped out of the Jeep and walked over to where she stood, while her friend Julia rushed forward to greet Lois.

Clark flashed his most charming smile at the small group of elderly ladies who beamed at him. "Good morning, ladies… Good morning, Bertha… nice to see you again… hop in!"

"Hello Clark. So nice of you to pick me up. But I could’ve easily taken a cab, you know. My! It isn't easy getting into this vehicle, now is it? Lois, don't you dare laugh at me. When are you going to get rid of this thing? You'll soon need a family car, you know."

"Bertha, how dare you call my beloved Jeep a ‘thing’! And how do you know Clark’s been pestering me about this? Have you two been talking behind my back?"

Clark laughed as he hopped in and closed the door. "Lois, I haven't talked about cars with Bertha. Though I'm happy to hear she's on my side."

“Bye, girls! See you later!”

Bertha waved to her friends standing on the sidewalk of the ‘Shady Pines’ residence then turned to address the back of Lois’s head. "Your mother happened to mention it to me, Lois, and - "

"My mother? I should've known! She's never liked any of my Jeeps. Ever since she helped you move, you and my mother have formed some sort of ‘let’s get on Lois’s case’ society – don’t deny it, Bertha! Did Martha join already?"

"Well, dear, since Clark's parents moved in Ellen and I have been helping them to settle in – that’s all. Believe me, we haven’t had time to discuss your affairs," Bertha lied cheerfully.

"Hah! Am I supposed to believe that? Poor Jonathan – being saddled with the ‘TTT’ these past few weeks. It’s a wonder he hasn’t absconded yet.”

“The ‘TTT’?” Bertha looked puzzled. “What’s that?”

“‘The Terrible Three" – you, my mother and Martha.”

“Lo-is!”

“It’s all right, Clark,” Bertha laughed heartily, “I rather like it. Wait till I tell Julia!”

"Well, Bertha," Clark jumped in before Lois could pursue the topic, "are you completely adjusted yet at the home? You were used to so much space - don't you feel a bit cramped in there?"

"No, Clark, the apartments aren't that small. I have everything I need."

"Mother told me she wouldn't mind living in 'Shady Pines' herself one day. She says your apartment has as much space as hers. Still, it must be weird, Bertha, coming over as a visitor? You’ve lived in that house for over forty years."

"No, Lois, it's not." Bertha said firmly. "This past winter's been very lonely for me. I was alone too often. I saw Julia about two times a week and now it doesn't matter if the weather is terrible or not - we don't have to go outside to meet. When we were having that heat wave in July, Julia and I often sat outside on my balcony at night. The view from the seventh floor’s so pretty, Lois, all those twinkling lights - I can see for miles! Julia's quite envious, you know. She’s on the second floor and can’t see that far."

Lois grinned. “She’s quite a character, isn’t she? And it looks like you’ve made lots of new friends since you’ve been living at ‘Shady Pines’, Bertha.”

“That’s right, Lois. They’re noisy and sometimes quite irritatingly nosey but I wouldn’t trade them for a big, empty house. Your parents are welcome to it, Clark.”

Clark laughed as he deftly swung the Jeep onto Hyperion Avenue. "And they’re very happy with it, Bertha. We’re here, ladies, and it looks like the party’s in full swing already. We won’t be able to park near the house, Lois, look at all those cars! How many people did my Mom invite to come over?”

“Lots… what good would it be to have only four people at a ‘pie and cake tasting session’, Clark?”

“Is that what my Mom calls it? Honey, my parents have been living here for about a month - they don’t know that many people in Metropolis yet!”

“Who says you have to know people first before inviting them over, Clark?”

While Clark threw Lois an astonished look Bertha chimed in, “That’s true, Clark, they’ve also invited Julia. She was so sorry, but she has another engagement and she couldn’t worm herself out of that one. That’s the trouble with Julia – she doesn’t know how to say ‘no’ to people. You should see her social calendar, Lois! I get tired just looking at it. That’s one thing we keep fighting about, you know, she wants me to join all those committees and I just - ”

Clark rolled his eyes and decided to tune out Bertha’s babbling and concentrate on finding a parking space instead.

“Okay, this is not such a bad spot. For a minute there I was afraid we’d have to walk back a whole block. Bertha, wait a sec - I'll get you out of there." Clark lifted Bertha out of the back seat of the Jeep and gently lowered her down.

"My! Being so strong sure comes in handy. Thank you, Clark - I don't think I'd be able to climb out by myself. I'm definitely on your side in regard to - "

" - getting rid of the Jeep - yeah, yeah!" Lois rolled her eyes and effortlessly slid out of her seat by lifting herself upwards just an inch or two. She’d become quite adept at using her floating ability in public. It made getting in and out of cars and climbing stairs so much easier, she’d argued when Clark had caught her out on it. Even though she was pregnant and proud of it, no way was Lois Lane going to waddle!

Clark, noticing the determined glint in Lois’s eyes, had reluctantly dropped the subject - only to drive Lois crazy with his constantly whispered, ‘be careful, honey, there are people watching’ warnings.

Clark gallantly offered Bertha his arm while Lois float-walked in front of them. Gay laughter greeted the threesome when they entered Martha and Jonathan Kent’s new home through the front door that was unlocked and left slightly ajar.

“What the…!” Clark’s exasperated exclamation was lost in happy ‘hi, come in, good to see you’ exclamations so he had to wait impatiently until he’d said his hello’s before he could corner Jonathan to hiss reprovingly at him, “Dad! What do you think you’re doing, leaving the front door open like that! This is Metropolis, you know, not rural Kansas!”

“Son, relax,” Jonathan grinned when he saw Clark’s outrageous facial expression. “It’s Sunday, the house is full of people – what could possibly happen? It’s easier than constantly having to answer the bell. Don’t worry, we’ll close it as soon as everybody’s arrived.”

“I’ve already closed it. Dad – “

But Jonathan’s attention was already being claimed by a sturdy little boy tugging at his pants. “Uncle Jo-than,” three year old Simon Keyes lisped as he stared adoringly up at the large figure towering over him.

“Hey squirt!” Jonathan swung the boy up into his arms and walked with him towards the porch. Through the open doors Clark saw five year old Eric Keyes sitting on Roy Vaughan’s lap, watching the two Vaughan girls with fascinated eyes while they shot arrows at a dart board.

Clark’s lips curled into a rueful smile. When children were around his Dad was lost to him. Jonathan was tickling Simon and the little boy shrieked with laughter, kicking his legs while he tried to wriggle out of the powerful arms holding him securely against ‘uncle Jo-than’s’ chest.

Perry White and Sam Lane were standing in the garden, talking to Jimmy Olsen who sat on a lounger with his encased leg stretched out in front of him, his crutch within reach. Fortunately, the cumbersome cast he’d worn from toe to thigh had been replaced by plaster on just his lower leg.

As soon as he’d been able to bend his knee Jimmy had moved from Alice White’s apartment to his own. He was grateful for all the help he’d gotten from the Chief’s wife and Ellen Lane but he’d been overjoyed when he’d finally been able to go home - and to work again.

The unusually hot summer had gradually receded into a comfortably warm autumn with beautiful, sunny days well into October. When they’d left the house this morning to pick up Bertha, Lois had commented how lucky Martha and Jonathan were. With a house full of people it was a stroke of luck that they were able to use the patio and the garden too, especially with four boisterous children around. According to the weather forecasts this third Sunday in October could very well turn out to be one of the warmest days this fall and temperatures were expected to rise high in the seventies.

Martha and Jonathan Kent had very quickly started to make friends in Metropolis and were seldom alone, though Clark expected that their busy schedule would gradually lessen as soon as his parents had established their own daily routine. He and Lois had an open invitation to join the older Kents for dinner whenever they wished. But Martha and Jonathan knew that Lois and Clark also needed time to be together and their son was grateful that his parents respected their need for privacy.

Lois and Clark had planned a cosy, intimate dinner for two to celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary on the 6th of October but had ended up having dinner with their respective parents instead. As it turned out they’d truly enjoyed themselves. The elder Kents’ cheerful and humorous behavior was rubbing off on Ellen and Sam Lane and they’d all enjoyed lively discussions about Sam’s and Dr. Klein’s research of Clark’s spaceship and Martha’s promising pie baking business.

Today Martha was holding a ‘tasting session’. She’d been experimenting with new recipes and wanted to try these out on ‘the family’ before offering them for sale at ‘The Java Club’. The manager of the lunchroom was very pleased with the favorable response his staff received and the increased number of people who came in to sample Martha Kent’s delicious homemade pies. Especially the raisin and cinnamon apple pie was a big hit with the seniors living at ‘Shady Pines’.

Encouraged by Ellen Lane, Martha was already considering branching out. She felt confident that she could supply at least one other coffee shop with the same number of pies she baked for ‘The Java Club’. Martha and Ellen were busy making plans to check out the quality of pies and cakes at various coffee shops and Bertha Avery had happily volunteered to go along on these ‘tasting sessions’. Ellen had asked Lois to make a checklist for them and Lois, ever the perfectionist, had come up with a neat questionnaire printed on colored cards: yellow for Ellen, blue for Martha and pink for Bertha. Clark had rolled his eyes when he’d seen the cards and tried to persuade his mother not to overdo things so soon while Jonathan, busy with reshaping their joint patios and gardens, wisely refrained from commenting on his wife’s activities.

Clark glanced around to see where Lois had disappeared to and saw her standing with Bertha in the living room area, talking to his Mom. Martha Kent stood behind the row of low kitchen cabinets that separated the living room and the open kitchen space and was pointing out cakes and pies to Lois and the other female guests. Alice White and Ellen Lane were busy making coffee and tea while Megan Carrington came out of the kitchen area carrying a tray with cheerfully colored glasses.

“For the kids – homemade lemonade. Want some?” she asked when she saw Clark’s face. He laughed. “No, it’s okay, Megan, I’ll wait for the coffee. Nice to see your brother in law here too with his daughters. Where’s your sister? Is she here, too?

“No, she was glad she could have a few hours for herself. The babies are due any minute now, you know, and it’s not easy for her. The girls are rather demanding so Roy’s spending more time with them away from the house on the weekends. Besides, Eileen’s been on a very strict diet these last few months and all these yummy pies would just drive her crazy. Roy’s not going to stay long - he just brought the girls and I’m going to take them home later. Hey! Watch it, Amber! You almost made me spill this lemonade!” Megan scowled at her thin, redheaded and freckle-faced niece who’d come running towards her.

“But you’re taking so long, Megan!” seven year old Amber Vaughan jumped up and down impatiently, “I’m thirsty!”

“Yeah, me too!” her nine year old sister Robin made a choking sound, dramatically rolling her eyes, acting as if she was dying from thirst.

“Okay, okay, hold your horses! Sorry Clark, duty calls.” Megan grinned at Clark and walked towards the porch with the lemonade. “Amber! Don’t run around like that, you’ll knock down something or someone if you don’t watch it!”

Clark grinned at Roy Vaughan who walked up to him and said apologetically, “Sorry Clark, my girls are a handful. Your mother told me it’s all right to leave them here. But I don’t know, it’s kind of busy in here and they’re – “

“ – great kids!” Clark said firmly, “We’re happy to have them here. Megan told me she’d bring them home later so go on, go and enjoy a quiet day with your wife. You won’t have a moment’s peace after the twins are born.”

Roy laughed, “I can’t wait! We’ve always wanted a big family and after Amber turned five we thought, this is it, apparently it’s not meant to be. And then, when we least expected it, Eileen got pregnant again. ”

“I know what you mean. Lois and I had given up hope of ever having a child of our own. Don’t tell her I said so but I’m envious. I wish we were expecting twins.”

Clark opened the door and Roy stepped outside.

“Bye Clark. Well, next time we see each other again I’ll be the daddy of four!”

“Lucky you - say hello for us to Eileen.”

“Will do. And good luck to you with that noisy bunch in there.”

Clark laughed. “I’m getting used to it. Since my parents have moved into the house our quiet home life has been fairly turned upside down. I was worried how Lois might take it but so far she’d taken it all in her stride.”

“Your parents are the best, Clark,” Roy said warmly, “My girls are nuts about them. They don’t have any grandparents, you know, and that’s something kids also need in their life, I guess.”

“They’re great with kids – and with grown ups,” Clark grinned, “These days Lois and I have to make an appointment when we want to see them!”

Clark had just closed the front door behind Roy Vaughan’s back and stepped into the living room when the doorbell rang again. He peeked through the door with his special vision and his face lit up when he saw the couple standing on the other side of the door. He threw open the door and was immediately cautioned by the woman to keep silent. She held two fingers against her lips and urgently beckoned Clark to step outside. He grinned widely and nodded, grasping the man’s hand in a welcoming grasp before hugging the woman and kissing her soundly on the cheeks.

Clark cautiously peered into the kitchen area where some of the women were still busy preparing the coffee table and saw Lois deep in conversation with Alice White. He motioned to the couple to follow him to where Lois was standing. He walked up to her and gently touched her shoulder.

“Honey, look who – “

“Eeeeeh!”

Clark winced as Lois let out a piercing yell. She pushed him aside and rushed at the broadly grinning couple.

“Lucy!”

“Lois!”

The two sisters fell into each others arms, laughing and crying at the same time, while their mother looked on, a big smile on her face.

Martha grinned at Ellen. “Seems like your anniversary present for Lois is a big success, Ellen!”

“I knew it would be! I’m just sorry Lucy couldn’t make it earlier. It would’ve been nice if she’d been able to join us on the 6th , but - hello, Lucas, thanks for bringing Lucy home. Where’s Sam? Sam! Someone go tell him – oh, there you are!”

Ellen’s voice was drowned out by Sam Lane’s joyful exclamations and the comments of other guests who came to see why Lois had been shrieking like a banshee.

“Great shades of Elvis! Clark, your wife almost gave me a heart attack! I thought she’d gone into labor already.” Perry White took one look at the happy congregation in the living room and again fled into the garden, shooing the four children in front of him.

“C’mon kids – seems like we’ll be waitin’ a long time before those pies fly into our mouths. Anyone game for pizza?”

“Yeah!!!”

“No way Jose! No pizza today!” Martha, who’d followed Perry and the children onto the patio, playfully punched Perry’s shoulder. She grinned at Megan, sitting on a corner of Jimmy’s lounger. “Megan, could you give us a hand, please? Kids, take your seats – pies coming up right now!”

“Yeah!!!”

“Hahahah!” Perry roared with laughter, “knew this would do the trick! Sorry kids, seems like pizza’s out. Got your pencils and cards ready? We’ve got some serious tasting and grading to do!”

“Auntie Lois?”

“Yes, sweetie?”

Lois smiled down at the upturned face of Simon Keyes. The little boy extended his arms and Lois automatically lifted him up onto her lap. She was sitting in Jonathan’s comfortable armchair, her feet resting on a stool that had been placed there by a solicitous Lucy. Of course, Lois didn’t need to be fussed over, but Lucy didn’t know that. To her sister, Lois looked enormous. After they’d finished hugging and kissing each other, Lucy’s first words had been, “Sis, you look so… big!!”

Now, a concerned Lucy watched the little boy wriggle into a comfortable position on Lois’s lap. Simon wrapped his small arms around Lois’s belly and laid his cheek against her navel; he sighed contentedly, closed his eyes and was instantly out like a lamp, leaving Lucy staring open-mouthed at her sister.

“Relax, Luce, this isn’t going to hurt me – or your little niece in there,” Lois grinned, “His mommy’s just had a baby and he was probably used to sitting on her lap like this.”

“All this lemonade and pie’s worn him out,” Ellen Lane commented and Bertha Avery nodded, saying regretfully, “I know how that feels… I’m rather tired myself. Time to go… could someone call a cab for me? I’d hate to tear one of you away from all this just to drive me home.”

“Nonsense, Bertha!” Martha said briskly, “Clark picked you up and he’ll be happy to – “

“I’ll take Bertha home,” Alice White interrupted Martha, “High time I left too. C’mon, Bertha, let’s go say our goodbyes.”

“I’d better go wrap up some pie for Bertha to take home to Julia,” Martha hurried into the kitchen, “And some for Roy and Eileen Vaughan, too.”

Within an hour Perry, Jimmy, Megan and her nieces had also left in a flurry of goodbyes, leaving the older Lanes and Kents alone with their children and the two little Keyes boys.

Lois glanced towards the porch where Jonathan, Clark and Lucas Jennings – Lucy’s ‘live in boyfriend’ as Ellen Lane frequently called him - were seated and talking animatedly. Eric Keyes was watching Martha busily wrapping up pieces of pies for the boys to take home, his little brother still fast asleep on Lois’s lap.

Lois swung down her feet and stood up, effortlessly lifting Simon up in her arms.

‘Luce, wanna come with me to drop these two little tykes off? No need to bother the men for that. It will give you a chance to drive the Jeep again.”

Lucy grinned, “How can a girl resist such an offer! Okay by me, Sis, but hand over that child first – geez! He’s heavy! Mother? How come you don’t say anything to Lois about this? You know she shouldn’t lift heavy things.”

“He’s not that heavy, Lucy, you’re just not used to lifting children,” Lois interrupted before Ellen could respond; they’d have to be careful around Lucy – her sister didn’t know anything about Lois’s super-pregnancy.

“It’s all right, Simon, auntie Lois is right here! No need to cry, little man, you’re going home, to mommy and daddy, okay?”

In a few minutes Lois and Lucy were on their way, the two tired and sleepy eyed little boys curled against each other on the back seat. Clark and Lucas had offered to make the trip but Lois had been adamant. She needed some fresh air and the ride back home would give her and Lucy some time alone together.

While Lucy followed her directions Lois told her sister about Clark’s and Gareth’s instant friendship – how Gareth had helped to relocate the wife and child of a hired killer to Australia, where they’d been readily accepted by his mother’s family. After years of constantly being on the move Sandy DeAngelo could now finally settle down and build a safe home for herself and her daughter in a country Joey Bermuda would never think of looking for them.

When Clark had met her in Radisson City, Cheryl Marie DeAngelo had been a thin, nervous child. To explain their constant moving and change of names her mother had told her that her father had been killed by gangsters and that those bad people were also looking for them.

Gareth’s mother kept her son informed about Sandy’s situation and Gareth had been pleased to be able to report that little Cheryl Marie had taken to the outback like a fish to the water. Within a few weeks she’d blossomed into a noisy pre-teen, his mother had laughingly told him over the phone, eagerly participating in all the chores and activities going on in the little community they lived in.

Lois also told Lucy about little Charlotte Keyes who’d just come home after a three months stay in the hospital. Gareth Keyes had dropped the boys off at the Kents’ this morning, leaving his wife Glenda some precious time to bond with her baby daughter without the two demanding little boys around. Gareth had then left to spend the day with his father, who’d just recently had to cope with a crisis of his own.

“A few weeks ago his butler vanished, Lucy. As if in thin air! I met him when I went with Clark and Gareth to meet his father. He’d told Gareth he’d love to meet us, so we went to one of those big, social gatherings of Gordon’s. He loves throwing parties. Anyway, this butler, John Kincaid, worked for Gordon Keyes for more than twenty years. Gareth was very upset too; he was attached to the man, knew him from when he came to visit his father on vacations and such. Clark’s been looking for him, together with Bill Henderson. But so far he hasn’t been found.”

“Maybe he was murdered, Lois.”

“Well, his body hasn’t turned up yet… ransom hasn’t been demanded, so… it’s a very strange case, Lucy. And with baby Charlotte’s christening coming up… Gordon wanted to throw a big party at his mansion, as a gift for his son and his family and now it’s not sure if the party will be held at all. Anyway, that’s why Gareth went to see his father today, to talk about that. He asked us to bring the boys to their grandfather’s house and that’s where we’re going now. Incidentally, he’s just got another butler – a temporary one; Gordon’s still hoping that John Kincaid will miraculously reappear – safe and sound.”

“Hmmm… not going to happen, Lois. Maybe he’s had an accident. I mean, who’d want to murder a butler - they don’t have money, now do they? Oh! I know! It was a crime of passion!” Lucy laughed gleefully.

“Lucy! You wouldn’t say that if you’d met Kincaid. He lived like a monk.”

Lucy snorted. “Is that what Gareth and his father think? Trust me, Lois, no man lives like a monk. Are you sure there isn’t a maid missing also?”

“ Luce, you’re hopeless!” But Lois had to grin in spite of herself. “No maid’s gone missing, Lucy, Bill Henderson’s also investigated that angle. Okay, Luce, see that light coming up? Make a left turn there… Now, where was I – oh yes, the butler… anyway, Gordon’s got a replacement. Just arrived from London.”

“I guess we’ll meet him then? I’ve never met a butler before; should be interesting.”

“His name is Bertram.”

From the back seat a child’s voice reached their ears. Lois and Lucy glanced at each other in consternation then Lucy whispered under her breath, “Little ears, Lois, little ears!”

“Oh geez – Luce! What did we say – we didn’t say anything too disturbing, now did we?” Lois turned around to look at Eric who stared solemnly back at her. “That’s right, Eric,” she said brightly, “His name’s Bertram and I’m sure he’s a very nice man.”

“He talks funny,” Eric elaborated.

“That’s because he’s from England. That’s a big island, far from here. D’you know where it is, Eric?”

“Lois, I’ve passed the light… now where do I go from here? Whoa! Omigosh! Look at these houses – I mean, mansions!”

Lois peered outside. “We’re almost there… That’s it, Lucy, this driveway.”

“Grampa lives here,” Eric said helpfully.

Lois turned to grin at him. “That’s right, Eric – and your daddy’s here too. Okay, Lucy, you stay in the car. I’ll deliver the boys and then we can – “

“Hah!” Lucy snorted, “No way, Sis! I’ve never been in a mansion before and I’ve never met a butler before; I’m coming with you!”

(Tbc)

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!