Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
We have set up a new forum, under General Discussion, called Fanworks Auctions . There may be a second one for the Swag Auction, depending on what Sara thinks.

We will have a sticky post at the top of the forum explaining how things will work, and people can ask questions and remind us of things we've forgotten to include wink

Before we get things started, though, we'd like input on a few things.

Timing:

We will never be able to please everyone. The world has more than 24 different time-zones (did you know that there is at least one time-zone that is half an hour ahead/behind the zones on either side? goofy ). So we can only do the best we can, and here's where we'd like some input. Times for starting the offering threads and the bidding probably don't matter that much, but ending times will.

Feedback, please, on the following, therefore, both in terms of time-zones and of the length of the process:

• Offers open - some time this evening (US Eastern) or tomorrow
  • End of posting time for offers: Monday April 21 at 1:00pm Eastern. To find out what time this is where you are, go here and select your location in the drop-down
  • Bidding open - some time in the evening of April 21 Eastern US
  • Bidding ends Sunday April 27 at 1:00 pm Eastern US.To find out what time this is where you are, go here and select your location in the drop-down

Payments

The PayPal account has been set up and the donation button is in place. Arrangements are being made for cheque payments. Auction winners must provide proof of payment to the donors after the auction. Donors, please do not begin work on a fanwork until you receive proof of payment.

We hope you think this is reasonable.

So, comments, please, on whether all of this seems workable! And if you have burning questions on how this will work, please ask!

Please note that it is possible that the boards may close for up to 8 hours at some stage during the auction. This is to perform essential work related to the software upgrade. Once we know when this closure is going to happen, we'll let you know, and if the timing affects stated auction start or finish times we will make an appropriate adjustment if possible.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
One week to post auction stuff before bidding starts. Got it. /must finish swag polls/

FYI: You might want to remember that Easter is Sunday, April 20th. This may or may not have an impact on people's timing, and whether they're in town or on holiday this week to put up items to be bid upon.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, Virginia. I'll definitely welcome people's comments about the Easter weekend. That's why I went with the Monday rather than Sunday to close the forum to new offers. The time of day is the challenge - I can't access the boards at work, and I have Monday off, so it works for me.

But, absolutely, please let me know whether this is a problem for anyone else! That said, there's no competition, as such, about offers - it's not like the bidding, where you need to be there at the end. goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Would all of the auctions have to end at the same time, or could each auctioneer chose their own ending date and time? The auctions might raise more money if their end times were staggered. If someone had $X discretionary money to spend and if they were interested in two items, they might choose to bid only $X/2 on each auction if the end times were the same, but they might be willing to bid a lot more on the first auction and then bid their remaining money accordingly on the second auction.

Joy,
Lynn

Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Interesting idea, but it would be an absolute nightmare to administer - each thread would have to be closed individually and finding them in time could be a hit and miss event.

Also, given my experience of other fanworks auctions, staggering it could give some people an unfair advantage. There always seems to be someone, or a few someones, who apparently has unlimited resources and is bidding aggressively on multiple items. A standard close time means that person can only seriously watch one or two items at the end time - staggered times could mean they could bid out everyone else on multiple things.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I tried to post a new topic at the "Fanwork Auctions" section, but it wouldn't let me. Is it open for auction descriptions, yet, or should we hold off until later to post those?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
It's not open for posting yet. I'm still hoping for more input on timelines!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It's after 10 a.m. California time which equates to 1 p.m. New York time. So why isn't the bidding enabled?
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Because bidding starts this evening Eastern; 1:00pm Eastern was the time for offers to end. This allows some time for people to review the offers before bidding starts.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So what is the time in the evening for bidding to start? Isn't that rather important?
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Not really - the finish time is more important.

Given my other commitments today, probably around 6:00pm Eastern.

Just a fly-by! *waves*

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard