I'm a little late with this one, sorry everyone! This quiz will close Monday, rather than Sunday, and the next quiz will be pushed back until Tuesday. If anyone has a little bit of time, I'm still accepting quiz volunteers!

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY! All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best Mid-Length (51-200k), but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are other stories which qualify for this category, but this quiz only covers 5.

Recommendations for other eligible stories are *very* welcome and encouraged!

QUIZ RULES: Two points for getting the story and author from the quote; one point for getting it from the excerpt. Specify which is which, or you'll automatically get one point instead of two. Open hard drive and archive, *don't* forget to snip the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler space when you post in the replies thread.

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Monday by 11:59 p.m. (US Central Time, give or take).

More elaborate quiz instructions can be found here .

Please post your answers here .

Good luck! smile

B

E

S

T

M

I

D

L

E

N

G

T

H

Quote #1:
“Now, take it easy, Mrs. Kent,” Alva said in a patronizing tone Lois could barely tolerate. “I told Mr. Kent it was best. No one should trouble your recuperation with gardeners and landscapers making a lot of fuss and noise. It might have gotten you upset.”

Quote #2:
His smile caused mini-explosions through her heart. “I’m ‘Clark’,” he said. “And I’m happy to rescue you any time you need it.”

Quote #3:
“Who’s missing, if you don’t mind my asking?”
“It would be a little premature to tell you that.”

Quote #4:
“So good of you to remember me, Lois,” he said with a snide grin. “I know you must be awfully lonely without your fiancé in tights… so, I thought I’d give you a treat.”

Quote #5:
"Well, Christmas is all about dreams come true," Lois chuckled and leaned forwards towards the orphanage director. "So …" she dropped her smile and looked more pensive. "It must be a difficult job but I would think that there are also very rewarding aspects. What would you say is the most rewarding part?"

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Excerpt #1:
It had been early November, and Metropolis was deep in the grip of blizzard. Lois had awoken around two in the morning to discover Clark’s side of the bed cold and without any sign of it having been slept in. That in itself was not unusual, but Clark always left a note on her nightstand if he was going on a short patrol, working on an article or just flying to clear his mind.

Excerpt #2:
Lois watched, her mind ticking over. He’d said he’d left Kansas and travelled, which suggested he hadn’t been in a serious relationship in his home town. He’d been in Metropolis a few months; surely, that was long enough for any number of women to show interest. “Do you have plans for this evening?” she asked casually.

Excerpt #3:
He gave Bill a searching look as he continued, “If you recall a couple of years ago there was another Superman. We tried to downplay his presence as much as we could. He was another one of Luthor’s creations, a clone of me. He had all of my powers and he almost fooled Lois. He and I had a fight and believe me, it’s no fun fighting yourself. There was a problem with the process that created him though and he was dying even as we struggled. He only lived a very short time afterwards, but if there was another one then she could literally be anywhere in the world by this time.”

Excerpt #4:
He cleared his throat, sensing the awkwardness and offered me more wine.
I suddenly felt very sleepy and shook my head. “I’d just like to go to bed, if it’s all the same to you. I have no idea what to do, but I know I can’t think as tired as I am.”
“No problem at all. There’s a guest room upstairs. Follow me.”

Excerpt #5:
"Gosh. That's quite difficult to decide." The slightly plump man, dressed in a jolly Christmas jumper brought one hand up to his mouth. He stroked his chin and 'hmmmed'. "When the kids leave, that's both happy and sad. You fall in love with every child that comes through the door. To have to say goodbye is very hard. But it's also wonderful to know that they are going back home, or going to a new home where they will be cherished, or even that they have grown up enough to make their own way in the world." He brought down his hand. "I don't know whether it's the most rewarding aspect of my job, but …"