SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY! All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best Super Short (1-10k), but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are other stories which qualify for this category, but this quiz only covers 11.

Recommendations for other eligible stories are *very* welcome and encouraged!

QUIZ RULES: Two points for getting the story and author from the quote; one point for getting it from the excerpt. Specify which is which, or you'll automatically get one point instead of two. Open hard drive and archive, *don't* forget to snip the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler space when you post in the replies thread.

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Thursday by 11:59 p.m. (US Central Time, give or take).

More elaborate quiz instructions can be found here .

Please post your answers here .

Let the fun begin!

Amber smile

B

E

S

T

S

U

P

E

R

S

H

O

R

T

Quote #1:
“Lois…” Clark said with a hint of annoyance in his voice. “Try to understand them — being different from anyone else is not easy. It’s completely natural for them to be…”

Quote #2:
“Yes, Mom,” Clark replied teasingly. “Speaking of Mom, are you going to be ready with Lara?”

Quote #3:
“Well, you were looking a little too clean,” she admitted with a childlike smirk tugging on her lips.

Quote #4:
“You’re her partner. The head honchos wanted you to have a refresher course so that you could remind Lois not to do anything dangerous.”

Quote #5:
“How did you get this number?” Clark demanded. He had an unlisted number for a reason.

Quote #6:
“Maybe you could try calling for your boyfriend,” Clark muttered.

Quote #7:
“You look more sullen than usual,” she commented as she started putting produce away. “Anything happen at school today?”

Quote #8:
“Well, it’s my job to look beyond the external.” Clark’s secretive smile was full-blown now as Lois continued. “Which reminds me, Clark. I’m pretty sure Superman has a secret identity.”

Quote #9:
“I know more than you think,” she breathed. “I know that you’re an Alien.”

Quote #10:
When they parted, Lois patted his cheek. “That’s okay, honey. I love you anyway.”

Quote #11:
She said, “Don’t fall for me, farmboy—I haven’t the time.”

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Excerpt #1:
“Uh huh,” Lois muttered, trying to understand what Wells had just told her. It did not seem to make a lot of sense. Anyway, the bottom line was that they were far from finished. She sighed and tried to get more comfortable in her seat. This was going to be a long day.

Excerpt #2:
In an office that overlooked the park, two men, wearing clothes that looked out of place, watched carefully as the pile of gifts shrank away. When the pile finally disappeared, they turned away from the window.

Excerpt #3:
“Clark? Don’t you even think about it. Clark! Noo!!” She shrieked and then giggled as Clark chased her round the room. Finally, he backed her into a corner. “Clark, don’t you dare. I mean it I’ll…I’ll…”

Excerpt #4:
By the time Clark and Lois arrived at the seminar room, all of the adjacent seats had been taken, but they managed to find two empty seats close together, one diagonally behind the other. Lois wanted to sit as far away from the speaker as possible, so Clark took the seat closer to the front.

Excerpt #5:
He had gotten so many calls like this all week at work. It was hard to listen to them anymore. Not one of the leads had brought him any closer to finding Lois.

Excerpt #6:
She crossed the room to the window, and stood staring out at a yellowed view of a nearby patch of asphalt. “Can you keep a secret, Clark?” she asked, so low that he might not even have heard her.

Excerpt #7:
Another sigh from the teenager. Lois wasn’t going to give up. They didn’t call her ‘Mad Dog’ Lane for nothing. “Come on, you have to give me something to work with here.”

Excerpt #8:
Clark was looking at anywhere except Lois, clearly trying to think of any excuse to leave. Unfortunately, his Cheese of the Month shipment wasn’t due until next week, so Clark came up with a blank. He settled his head down on his hand resignedly, though his apprehension was evident in the rivulets where he had dragged his fingers through his hair forcefully several times.

Excerpt #9:
The days and weeks that followed were amazing. They went flying, investigated Luthor, and went to jail. It seemed that nothing could come between them.

Excerpt #10:
A burst of laughter escaped her, cutting him off. She quickly extricated herself from his arms, unable to regain control of herself. At the sight of Clark’s deepening scowl, she could only laugh more.

Excerpt #11:
“Who’s asking: Clark or Superman?” she replied to his question.
She knew his secret—had no hesitation.