Next Thread
Print Thread
#169796 01/05/14 06:07 PM
A
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
And I need your help! I need volunteers to write quizzes.

But let's start at the beginning.

What are the Kerth Quizzes?
Kerth Quizzes are a fun way to refresh your memory of the stories written/submitted to the Archive in 2013. And if you've missed a few stories, the Quizzes can help you get up to speed before the nominating and voting happens.

Where are the Kerth Quizzes?
Right in this forum!

When are the Kerth Quizzes?
I'm glad you asked! Here is the schedule (I will write the first quiz):

Monday 13 January - Best Super Short (1-10k) - amberlea
Friday 17 January - Best Short Story (11-50k) - VirginiaR
Thursday 23 January - Best Mid-Length Story (51 - 200k)
Monday 27 January - Best Long Story (over 201k)
Friday 31 January - Best Revelation (any length)
Wednesday 5 February – Best First Kiss
Monday 10 February – Best Original / Supporting Character
Friday 14 February - Best New Author
- VirginiaR

Who writes the Kerth Quizzes?
Lots of wonderful volunteers! Don't worry, I'm here to help with any questions you might have.

Here is an example of a quiz from last year:
http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003404#000000

Here are the answers and recommendations of other stories that would fit the category:
http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003405#000000

If you would be willing to help, or if you have any questions, please respond in this thread, or you can PM me.

I will update this list as I get volunteers.

More detailed history/quiz answering instructions will be posted in the next few days.

Kerth season, here we come!

Amber smile

1/23 edited to reflect updated categories

A
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
I need some volunteers to make this happen! Our first quiz will be on Monday (central time, US), but I can't do all of the quizzes by myself. Let me know if you can help!

Thanks,
Amber smile

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I guess I can try to squeeze in time to write the Best Short Story quiz for next Friday. I don't have time to read / write more than that if I'm going to keep to my posting schedule for Wrong Clark. Sorry. Still sad about the lack of genre categories this year. frown Those are the ones that are the most fun to quiz.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
I guess I can try to squeeze in time to write the Best Short Story quiz for next Friday. I don't have time to read / write more than that if I'm going to keep to my posting schedule for Wrong Clark. Sorry. Still sad about the lack of genre categories this year. frown Those are the ones that are the most fun to quiz.
This is my first year being around for the Kerths so it's great to see the process develop. I've never seen these quizzes before. It's a lot of fun.

But I have to say that I'm disappointed in the lack of genre categories too, plus the New Author category.

If these categories come back in the future then are stories/authors that missed out in the year the category was missing eligible?

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
A
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
Thank you, Virginia!

Sorry, everyone, I don't have any input on what categories are chosen for the Kerths. I just run the quizzes and organize the ceremony.

I'll be posting more detailed information on the quizzes shortly.

Amber smile

Kerth
Kerth
Are we going to be getting a list of the year's eligible stories up any time soon? Because if so, I might be able to take a (much) later quiz. But unfortunately, I don't think I'll have time to go through them all by hand and searching for them, what with graduating and my friend's wedding and everything in between. But if there was a list I could look at for reference, I just might have time to do one of the last couple (Kiss/Revelation/OC).

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
Are we going to be getting a list of the year's eligible stories up any time soon? Because if so, I might be able to take a (much) later quiz. But unfortunately, I don't think I'll have time to go through them all by hand and searching for them, what with graduating and my friend's wedding and everything in between. But if there was a list I could look at for reference, I just might have time to do one of the last couple (Kiss/Revelation/OC).
They are currently working on the list, Mouse. The first draft they had included too many stories eligible (and even winners) of last year's Kerths.

Here's the list of eligible stories from last year: 2013 Kerth Awards - Eligible Stories List

I've been scrolling down the Archives What\'s New List and compiling names of stories posted between 1/1/2013-12/31/2013 (and then, removing the ones from the above list). True, it leaves out all those stories posted here but writers forgot to send to LabRat on-time... (I'm guilty of at least one case of that, myself blush , since that story still needs one final edit) but it's a good way to start for the quizzes.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
[b] Are we going to be getting a list of the year's eligible stories up any time soon? Because if so, I might be able to take a (much) later quiz. But unfortunately, I don't think I'll have time to go through them all by hand and searching for them, what with graduating and my friend's wedding and everything in between. But if there was a list I could look at for reference, I just might have time to do one of the last couple (Kiss/Revelation/OC).
They are currently working on the list, Mouse. The first draft they had included too many stories eligible (and even winners) of last year's Kerths.

Here's the list of eligible stories from last year: 2013 Kerth Awards - Eligible Stories List

I've been scrolling down the Archives What\'s New List and compiling names of stories posted between 1/1/2013-12/31/2013 (and then, removing the ones from the above list). True, it leaves out all those stories posted here but writers forgot to send to LabRat on-time... (I'm guilty of at least one case of that, myself blush , since that story still needs one final edit) but it's a good way to start for the quizzes. [/b]
Yeah, I've done a run-through of the What's New list, but it's harder for me to follow. I'm glad to know it's in progress (as I'm sure that first draft included far too many of my own from last year that didn't get archived till this spring...). I'll be happy to volunteer once I get to know my class schedule, just don't want to commit and have to go back on it later. Plus the list always helps. :p

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Good luck with the exams and getting your classes, Mouse.

Amber, if you can get me an official list of new writers, I can do a spare wink (and short) quiz if needed for the Best New Author category. I know KatherineKent, Lonnie, UltraLucille, LMA, and NostalgiaKick are all new to the boards / Archives in 2013. Did I miss anyone? blush

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
In case you missed it, Mouse, here's the current list of Eligible Stories .

Thanks for the updated Quiz Schedule, Amber. I'll make sure my next quiz isn't so difficult. blush

VirginiaR.
---
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aww... I hate it that Best Comedy has been removed. That was always one of my favorites. And no Waffy either? Unfortunately, I won't be able to help with a quiz this year.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard