Next Thread
Print Thread
#169733 12/01/13 03:24 PM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Working at a craft/fabric store got me thinking about this. Martha's bound to have spare fabric of the red, blue and yellow varieties (ok, maybe not so much the yellow as it's much smaller and easier to make multiples from). What do you think she'd use it for? Does martha have a ton of primary red and blue dresses in her closet? Does she used the spare material to make superman costumes for the kids in town? Does she get requests from Lois for red dresses? Other ideas?

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, at first Martha just used it only for the Superman suit and not for anything else.
Then the capes began to wear out because they were further from his aura and closer to whatever form of damage he was battling.
Then as time wore on, his uniform began to fail. First the tights went --- because they were tight.
Martha switched to a 2 piece suit because she had to make an entire new one piece suit when the tights failed.
So now Superman had a re-design with a 2 piece suit.
Then finally the shoulders of the top failed due to the stress of the cape, so Martha had to make a harness that went under the top to support the cape.
Then the red boots failed, so Martha made cloth boots with soft soles so Superman could stash them easily with his uniform.
Martha was frugal so she had purchased the minimum of 2 full Superman outfits. So she had to go buy more material.
A new brand of spandex, stronger and sturdier came out, so she bought that and used it.
So I posit that she really didn't have extra cloth.
Cute question!
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
I thought the fabric (aside from the cape, which is too far from his aura) was invulnerable because of being so close to his aura. Not to mention, in "Don't Tug on Superman's Cape" she had to get whole new bolts of fabric just to make almost all new uniforms (how one survived long enough for Superman to make an appearance at the Lake's is a question I don't have an obvious answer for... maybe it was in the dirty clothes pile?)

CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
I just figured that the cloth could be used in other ways and was trying to come up with ideas. On that note... here's some dresses I found that actually use a fabric that looks fairly similar to the red of his cape...

OMG That Dress Tumblr dress one

OMG That Dress Tumblr Dress 2

OMG That Dress Tumblr Dress 3

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Frankly, I've never considered what Martha does with the scraps, but I've wondered about where she gets all her fabric. As often as Superman's suits get damaged, she needs a pretty steady supply, even if she's just replacing the capes. She can't be just going to the local fabric store in Smallville; that would raise too many questions. She needs a steady supply of the same type and color of fabric. She could send Clark to a new fabric store and have him buy out their whole supply each time she needs more, but he's not likely to get the same fabric each time. I was thinking that maybe they contracted with a fabric manufacturer under an assumed name or a shell company or something.

As far as the scraps go, maybe she shreds them and uses it as filler for pillows and puffy blankets.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Kerth
Kerth
Martha might leave her smallest scraps for the birds to build their nests.
[Linked Image]
Just imagine what the bird nests in Smallville will have to look like. laugh

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by Lara Joelle Kent:
Martha might leave her smallest scraps for the birds to build their nests.
[Linked Image]
Just imagine what the bird nests in Smallville will have to look like. laugh
Lovely idea, although people might start wondering when the birds became fans of Superman.
laugh

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard