#169565 10/01/13 03:50 PM
D
Dave Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
Howdy! wave

Been a long time since I've been around these parts... so long, I'm sure, nobody even remembers me. Heh. I'm not sure what drew me back, but I'm glad to be here - so much fantastic stuff has appeared in the time I've been away!

I've been catching up on a lot of amazing fic and it's left me with a real craving for more. Specifically, a craving for pre-series stuff.

I'm looking for something early-early-early years (as in, the Kents finding Clark). I'd love to explore how they found him, how they found out about his abilities, how they reacted to everything... I've read a few AUs, and they've been great, but I'm hoping for something that would fit into the series itself.

The idea keeps bouncing around in my head and I may have to write it myself, but I'm hoping some talented FoLC has already beaten me to the punch. smile

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#169566 10/01/13 05:12 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I'm not sure if this qualifies, but there is Anonpip's The Boy In Black , where Clark starts doing rescues as a teenager.

The always-reliable Dandello has Angel Found , which is about Clark being found (duh). Nan Smith wrote Before The Beginnning which also talks about M&J and the baby they found.

Dandello also wrote The Smallville Connection , which asks, what if an agency devoted to policing aliens on Earth knew about Clark in his childhood?

More to the "training" point, Laura S. wrote It\'s Raining On Prom Night where we learn how Clark learned how to cut his hair.

Nan Smith has Second Choices , which is really an alt-beginning story, where a teenage Lois comes to live in Smallville along with her alcoholic mother and her sister; Lois meets her fellow high school student Clark Kent.

Carol M. explores the M&J romance in He Didn\'t Have To Be .

I really enjoyed Shayne Terry's Time And Again , where an adult Lois goes back in time and leaps into the body of her teenage self - she's got to meet young Clark (pre all his powers) and change the future that was.

Mary Potts, aka Queen of the Capes, has two great short stories, not about Clark, but about his descendant. Don't miss Dear Ojiisama and A Boy In Kimono .

Terry Leatherwood tells us what might have happened if young Clark had grown up with Lana and had accepted her marriage proposal in A Road Taken . It's the first of a trilogy.

Lana also appears in Carol Malo's Don\'t Tell , where a young Clark wants to tell Lana his secret.

Too good to miss: Chris Carr's A Gift From Shetland , a story about growing up and growing old.

Sorry - after looking at this list, I realize that there aren't a lot of recommendations that actually fit your criteria. Many of these are alt-beginning, or alt-world, or older-LnC fics. I just wanted to recommend some more of my favorite fanfics. smile I hope other FoLCs can come up with some more recommendations.

The idea keeps bouncing around in my head and I may have to write it myself...
What a great idea!

#169567 10/01/13 06:12 PM
D
Dave Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
Wow, thank you for your quick reply, Lola! Looks like I've got some great reading ahead of me.

Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
Sorry - after looking at this list, I realize that there aren't a lot of recommendations that actually fit your criteria. Many of these are alt-beginning, or alt-world, or older-LnC fics. I just wanted to recommend some more of my favorite fanfics. smile I hope other FoLCs can come up with some more recommendations.
You're right, none of them match, exactly, the premise I was after but I didn't think I'd find one that did tbh. smile

Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
The idea keeps bouncing around in my head and I may have to write it myself...
What a great idea!
Nope, terrible idea! laugh I haven't penned anything in this fandom in... oh, six or seven years, and it's always been too packed full of talent for me to feel the need. smile

- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#169568 10/15/13 01:14 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I somehow missed this.

Great to see you back, Dave!

Early Years is one of the Timeline Keywords in the Archive's Database. So if you do a global search you might find something that fits.

http://www.lcfanfic.com/ficdatabase.html

LabRat :-)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#169569 10/17/13 11:55 PM
D
Dave Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
Originally posted by LabRat:
I somehow missed this.

Great to see you back, Dave!

Early Years is one of the Timeline Keywords in the Archive's Database. So if you do a global search you might find something that fits.

http://www.lcfanfic.com/ficdatabase.html

LabRat :-)
Thanks - it's nice to pop back around. Have missed this place.

And that's brilliant, thank you! smile (I can stop writing now. Heh.)

- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#169570 10/18/13 04:48 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Hi Dave,

Another recommendation for you is the fantastic 'The Child Who Fell from the Sky' by Chris Mulder.

http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories2/childwho.txt

Enjoy!

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
#169571 10/18/13 10:38 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Hi, Dave,

I don't like to toot my own horn, but I wrote one early years story that isn't alt-beginning: Before the Beginning

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#169572 10/19/13 02:31 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by Dave:
And that's brilliant, thank you! smile (I can stop writing now. Heh.)
It's a Dave! I think you have another think coming there wink No excuses!

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#169573 10/19/13 09:02 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hello Dave and welcome back!

Might I suggest Deadly Chackram's Specimen S?

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#169574 10/19/13 08:08 PM
D
Dave Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
Originally posted by Irene D.:
Hi Dave,

Another recommendation for you is the fantastic 'The Child Who Fell from the Sky' by Chris Mulder.

http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories2/childwho.txt

Enjoy!

Irene
Oh, now that's an interesting premise. Thank you!

- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#169575 10/19/13 08:09 PM
D
Dave Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
Originally posted by Nan:
Hi, Dave,

I don't like to toot my own horn, but I wrote one early years story that isn't alt-beginning: Before the Beginning

Nan
You should, Nan - if I remember correctly, your stuff is fantastic. smile

- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#169576 10/19/13 08:10 PM
D
Dave Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
Originally posted by Karen:
Originally posted by Dave:
[b] And that's brilliant, thank you! smile (I can stop writing now. Heh.)
It's a Dave! I think you have another think coming there wink No excuses! [/b]
Heh. Hey, Karen. Trust me, it wasn't anything special - I think I may have lost my feel for the characters a bit. Oh well.

- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#169577 10/19/13 08:11 PM
D
Dave Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
Originally posted by Morgana:
Hello Dave and welcome back!

Might I suggest Deadly Chackram's Specimen S?
Thanks, Morgana. smile

I've read Specimen S - not exactly what I was after, but very compelling story telling. smile

- Aurora, Foo Fighters

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard