Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
M
In the suburban western part of the U.S. that I'm familiar with, banks will often have a sign out by the road that gives the current time and temperature, and maybe the date. Do they do that in places like New York? I'm having a hard time picturing the same thing in an area that's mostly skyscrapers.

I want a character to be walking around in Metropolis and see something that tells them definitively what the date is. I thought of having them come across a newspaper in a trash can, but there's no guarantee that the newspaper would be today's.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
In the suburban western part of the U.S. that I'm familiar with, banks will often have a sign out by the road that gives the current time and temperature, and maybe the date. Do they do that in places like New York? I'm having a hard time picturing the same thing in an area that's mostly skyscrapers.
Well, in Times Square in NY they have that big TV screen and a huge ticker tape thingy (like in the DP). Maybe the character could see something similar with LNN show at the beginning of a news broadcast. If you don't want something that big (or if that's the wrong era), you could use a TV in a shop window or a newspaper inside the newspaper box (which usually will be correct date within 6-8 hours. wink ) or on a newsstand.

[Linked Image] If you're just looking for the year, and not specific date, you could use the release date of a movie on a movie poster (or if a specific date, with a marquee above it reading "opening night").

Try looking for images of downtown cities. I pulled the above photo from Google images, search "Time Square television". (I did a quick search of images but I didn't see any of those clock / temp signs on any of the downtown pictures I looked at, but that doesn't mean there can't be one, maybe flush with the side of the building.)

Maybe there was a date on the screen of an ATM machine or on the receipt left in an ATM machine that someone had just left and the person grabbed it out of the machine and said "Hey, you forgot..." and notices the date.

There are many ways to show the date in a city. laugh Use you imagination.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
M
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
M
Thanks for the ideas, Virgina. I'm just not familiar with Metropolis-type places. I think an ATM will work for my purposes.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard