Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#169361 08/30/13 09:03 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Just a curious, general fanfiction question. What do you share with people about your writing? A lot of my family... well, I guess not a LOT, a lot... but much of my family knows that I enjoy writing fanfic in my spare time, especially for LnC or Castle. I have a couple of good friends who know I've done some fanfic writing, and some people at my school. All in all, I'm not totally shy about who knows it, but I don't go around really discussing it or advertising that I write Superman fanfiction. I think I've gotten a bit looser about this in the past year or so. However, I still don't use my real name (very paranoid over the internet and use several different pseudonyms depending on the occasion and subject matter, though I'm loosening on this too). And as far as I know, no one in my family has read any of my stories. Besides my brother, who I bounce ideas off of from time to time and occasionally he lurks around on ff.net to write a one-shot or two. I am perfectly happy with that, and in many cases I'd prefer it that way (anonymity is nice). I share with the people of the interwebs (that's you guys laugh ) and I'm perfectly content with that.

That being said, I have met some people who are the opposite, and like to share with everyone what they do. So I'm just curious about who falls on each side of the equation. Are you a sharer? Or not? I guess I'd put myself somewhere in the middle, because I certainly wouldn't stop anyone from reading it, and it's no secret, but I'm not encouraging it either. So I guess that's the line. (I just realized I tend to fall on that in between line with a lot of things in my life confused Scary.)

Comments?

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#169362 08/31/13 03:31 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've made some real life friends because of our mutual love of writing fanfic. I don't usually share my work with my family, though--my dad looks at it and tells me I should write a western instead and my mom asks why I'm wasting my time writing fanfic when I could get published and make money. I did tell one of my sisters about my LnC/Hunger Games crossover Panem, though--she's a fan of both, so when I have a new chapter she comes to this site to read it.

I've shared a few specific stories with people who enjoyed them in real life. Years ago, I wrote a spoof called Batman and Robin on Titanic, and recently I printed it out and shared it with the owner of the comic shop I patronize. He loved it. I also wrote a short Star Wars story, which I printed out and shared with a young Star Wars fan at the middle school I used to work at (the kid was disappointed that the library had gotten a bunch of Star Wars books and hadn't immediately put them on the shelves, so I gave him my fanfic to give him something to read while we librarians did all the necessary work to get the actual books ready for check-out. He was happy for about a day, then went back to begging for the new books.)

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#169363 08/31/13 09:21 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
With people I don't know very well, I might say that I write fiction - mostly short stories, one novel-length. Sometimes I add that I'm part of an online writers' group. smile

If I think they might be interested or at least open to the idea, I might get more specific. Although, these days I don't write much so the topic doesn't come up as much! I just don't feel the need to explain anything to the 'danes.

It's like, for a few years after my son was diagnosed with autism, I felt kinda compelled to bring autism into every discussion with everybody I met, but now I only mention it if it's relevant. It's a thing I do. Not everybody cares or needs to know. <shrug>

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#169364 08/31/13 10:08 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
My kids know I write fanfiction and so I'll get some "You *love* Superman, Mom!" teasing from time to time, but as you know, my stories aren't written for kids. (I usually respond, "No, I don't. I'm a fan of *Clark Kent*". wink And they usually just roll their eyes, not understanding at all.) At least, they point out every time they see Superman's logo for me and are willing to watch LnC or animated Superman / Justice League with me. laugh

My husband knows and is basically in denial. If I bring up a storyline or something funny I read on the boards, I see his eyes cloud up and his mind wander, so I don't bring it up often. I'd like to say it's because of my choice of stories, but before I wrote fanfiction I wrote Regency & romance and he did the same thing then. He has NEVER asked to read anything I've written. Never.

My folks and my sisters know I write LnC fanfiction but they think it's a phase and they're waiting for it to pass, so they basically ignore it. One of my sisters has tried to get me to write Bones FanFiction instead "because that show is at least still on the air". Or I'm told I should go back to writing original stories, because I could sell them. Nobody understands.

I've mentioned it to one or two acquaintances, but usually I just mention that I write fiction (not the content), because I've found unless you write or read fanfiction I just get the above reactions. People aren't supportive and they don't understand. I usually end up getting looked at with a funny expression, which resembles pity mixed with a bit of fear, as they change the topic quickly, back up, or start talking to other people.

My support group are my betas and everyone here. You all understand. I may be crazy wave Thanks for being there for me. sloppy

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#169365 08/31/13 10:18 AM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
You've all pointed out what I've found to be true. You're either into reading/writing fanfiction or you're not. And if you're not, you have no interest whatsoever in it. I usually tell people I like to write. If they ask for details I'll explain that I write fanfic stories using Trek characters (even though I've never actually done that) just because people seem to understand that.

Virginia, I get what you're saying about your husband's response. It's not that they don't care about us, they're just not interested in fanfiction/writing. It's not their thing.

When I first got into writing fanfiction, I was so excited about it I told some of my 'friends' who also enjoyed sci-fi shows. I was given tons of grief. They knocked the show I wrote about and then claimed I was wasting my time because I wasn't getting paid.

I'm very thankful for boards like this where there are people who appreciate these things smile1

Joan

#169366 08/31/13 10:34 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by scifiJoan:
Virginia, I get what you're saying about your husband's response. It's not that they don't care about us, they're just not interested in fanfiction/writing. It's not their thing
No, it's not his thing. For an English Lit major, though, he really isn't into reading fiction. LOL. Then again, he has hobbies I'm not that interested in either and perhaps I feign as little interest in his hobbies as he does in my writing. At least I don't spend $$$ on my writing, just time -- lots and lots of time. A little support or encouragement would go a long way, though, I think. The major problem I have is that writing isn't a "hobby" for me. It's who I am. It was who I was long before I met him and it will be who I am until the day I die. So, him ignoring my writing, is like him ignoring a part of me. His hobbies are just hobbies.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#169367 08/31/13 12:27 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I think most people who know me know that I'm a writer, of games, fanfic, etc. I can't keep track of who knows what, but I'd say most know I write fanfic.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#169368 08/31/13 01:07 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
My family and friends know I write fanfic, but they aren't at all into L&C. The only stories I've shared with them have been the ones I wrote in which L&C have a son with autism. Oh, I also shared my "Gifts of the Magi" homage with my Mom, since I knew she liked O. Henry's works.

I think that most people who know about my fanfic writing think it's silly, but I think they are pleased that I have managed to carve out some time to do something I enjoy simply because I enjoy doing it -- time simply to be "Lynn," and not "Dr. M." or "Mom."

Joy,
Lynn

#169369 08/31/13 01:45 PM
Kerth
Kerth
My kids know I write Lois and Clark fanfic. Two of my friends know, but whenever they ask how the writing it going, I reply with, 'Good, thanks,' and change the subject.

My husband has read most of my stories. I didn't know he was reading them until one day, we were taking a coffee break from a bike ride - I was immersed in reading for the course I'm doing and he was reading something on his tablet. I asked him what he was reading, he showed me, and I saw 'Tek'. I think I stopped myself from blurting out 'Hey, I wrote a story with a character called 'Tek'. I think he was smart not to tell me initially - what if he had hated my stories? Best to say nothing wink

Corrina.

#169370 09/01/13 01:55 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
My hubby asks what I'm up to from time to time (usually it's because I'm editing on the drive somewhere). He's been known to help me talk out ideas and stuck points. With that said, I think it's because he's bored and wants something to share with me (we don't have a ton of common interests and this is easier for him to be interested in than dance).

My son (admittedly only 19 1/2 months old) has started being interested in the Superman S but I've never watched any of the episodes for him to get interested in this version (he does see my comics all over the place, though.)

My family varies. My sister is the "Writer" in the family. She's the one that writes more original stories than fanfiction. When she asks I'll give her a brief synopsis of what I've been writing mostly. As most of my stories are nfic (that are in the process of being written currently) I do have to edit or at least gloss over the writing some because like all siblings, she's not really interested in knowing the sort of stuff that goes through her older sister's mind "that way."

I'm more verbal about my writing during NaNo season. If someone asks (in November) I often say I'm participating in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) and if they ask about my story I do own up to it being fanfic of Superman (I've written both for this uni and the Reeve movie version during NaNo). If they're still interested in that point (most people seem to be) then I'll give them some info/synopsis and such.

It also seems like people are more forgiving depending on the version of fanfic. TV shows are kinda iffy. Superman (comics in most mind's eyes) seems to be more interesting to people. Rewrites/fanfics of the fairy tales though? People (my sis, hubby and such) are all for it! One more version in the fantasy genre. I suspect it has to do with the fact that it's "open domain" and thus free to play with to my heart's content (with the story.)

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#169371 09/01/13 05:58 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
All of my close friends know that I write fanfiction since they know of my affection for Lois and Clark and my obsession for Lois Lane. None have ever read any of my work.

My mother and sister are 'aware' that I write online but don't really understand what it is. They show more interest in my musical endevors.

When talking to people and if the subject somehow comes up I usually mention that I write fantasy romance. I will add that it's Lois and Clark fanfiction if they inquire further.

There is a gal at work who is somewhat of a geek like me. She was never a Lois and Clark fan but she is a big Castle/Firefly geek and has read my two crossovers and liked them. Now she has borrowed my season one DVDs and is planning on watching them (with her daughter) over this Labor Day weekend. Once hooked I'll feed Mary the next three seasons.

It's only fair, she leant me her Firefly discs.

Tank (who is grateful for a group of people with whom he can 'share')

#169372 09/01/13 07:16 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
My girls, hubby, mum and brother all know that I write fanfic. A couple of friends know too, but I don't really talk about it, and if friends that know I write stories but not 'fanfiction' ask about my writing I keep my answers generic.

Originally posted by Female Hawk:
My husband has read most of my stories. I didn't know he was reading them until one day, we were taking a coffee break from a bike ride - I was immersed in reading for the course I'm doing and he was reading something on his tablet. I asked him what he was reading, he showed me, and I saw 'Tek'. I think I stopped myself from blurting out 'Hey, I wrote a story with a character called 'Tek'. I think he was smart not to tell me initially - what if he had hated my stories? Best to say nothing wink

Corrina.
Aww, sweet. That's lovely. I tried to get my hubby to read after I did my very first fanfiction piece. It was a continuation of the Smallville Season 9 finale and he is just as big a fan as me. (Well, maybe not quite as big). He did enjoy it, but didn't wax lyrical so I never pushed again. He had brainstormed through some ideas on other fics with me but I only asked for his 'reading' opinion on a fanfic piece once after that. It was my first attempt into nfic and I needed some reassurance before I posted it.

He surprised me last year, though, by saying that he wanted to read my pirate story (currently being posted in the Other Canon section - although only because there are SV unique characters in it) once it was finished. He expected it to be more suitable for a bloke. Well it is full of adventure, intrigue, deception, betrayal, battles, etc, but it's also quite a steamy romance and he quite bluntly told me that there was too much mushy stuff in it.

I'm not letting him read my fanfic again lol

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard