Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
S
Could anyone recommend a story that's about 80% A-plot? A good B-plot is fine but I'd rather it wasn't the focus of the story. Basically I'm in the mood for a lot of action. Suggestions?

Shallowford
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nan Smith's HOME: Murder by Earthlight is good, but it makes more sense if you've read the others in the Home series. Check out Nan Smith\'s Series Guide for which order in which to read them.

Her Vampire Murders is also mostly A-Plot (95%), but it's still a WIP.

Deadly Chakram's Hunt in a Red October is mostly A-Plot, but it's a crossover. But not one which requires having seen the other show (because I haven't and still liked it).

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was going to suggest that Nan is the Queen of the Aplots. But Virginia beat me to it. laugh

My own Caped Fear and Masques might be contenders.

Aplot is also a theme keyword in the Database so you may come up with others if you do a search.

LabRat :-)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
S
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
S
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Nan Smith's HOME: Murder by Earthlight is good...
Just finised the Home series (for the xxth time). Part of the inspiration for this quest. smile

I've downloaded the lot. Thanks!

Shallowford
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Deadly Chakram also wrote "Clakus Maximus" , which although does have B-Plot, it's mostly A-Plot (in that Lois and Clark are separated and have to fight their way across ancient Greece to find each other) and it's ACTION-packed. It's also a crossover with Xena, but it isn't necessary to know that show either to appreciate that fic.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
I'd say my story Nine Lives was mostly A-plot, but it's a L&C / Highlander / Batman crossover so I don't know if you'll be interested:

Nine Lives

Most of my other L&C stories are similarly crossovers tending towards A-plot.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Most of my longer stories tend to have a significant A plot.

I'd say you could get a good indication of that by reading the 'blurb' description in the archived version.

If I had to recomend one I'd say maybe the "To Protect and Serve" series, or perhaps "A Matter of Confidence" which is one where Lois goes undercover by herself.

Tank (who says that longer stories are usually the ones that require a considerable A plot to keep them going while interweaving the B plot elemnts)

Top Banana
Top Banana
Feel funny doing this. But I've written a couple of fics in the past which are very A plot - the Recognition series, Yesterday Upon the Stairs, others too. Agree with Tank's point about longer stories needing a solid A plot - at which he's a master.

S
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
S
Thanks for the suggestions and the extended reading list! I don't have anything against B-plot--in fact I usually prefer a story with a good balance. I'm just in a mood for whinging at the moment.

If anyone else is interested in this type of story I would also recommend Veritas by Shayne Terry and On The Other Hand by CarolM for this category.

Shallowford
Top Banana
Top Banana
When I'm looking for an A-plot story, I always think of Dandello. No particular recommendation because I enjoy them all. All of her longer stories have plenty of A-plot.

Re:
If anyone else is interested in this type of story I would also recommend Veritas by Shayne Terry
I LOVE Veritas, but I think of it more as an A/B mix story than I view it as primarily A-plot driven.

My longer stories tend to have much stronger A-plots, but I believe that is just the nature of longer stories. "When the Sky Falls" is a mix but I think of both "Luck and Consequences" and "The Return of Ultra Woman" as A-plot driven. Even "And the Truth Will Set You..." has a strong A-plot element even though it starts out mainly B-plot driven. (It was originally intended to be a short smile )

Bob

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard