Since we don't have the 2013 eligible story list yet, I did the best I could by going through the stories posted to the Archive in 2012 and comparing titles suitable for this category with titles on the 2012 Kerth eligible story list . The flaw in this method is that it does not screen for stories submitted for Kerth eligibility prior to 2012 but not submitted to the Archive until 2012. This method also necessarily excludes stories personally submitted for eligibility by the author (i.e., stories posted elsewhere than the Archive). I apologize in advance for any story that ended up in this quiz but is ineligible and for any story that I didn't know was eligible and therefore not considered for this quiz.

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY! All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best Mid-Length (51-200k), but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are other stories which qualify for this category, but this quiz only covers 11.

Recommendations for other eligible stories are *very* welcome and encouraged!

QUIZ RULES: Two points for getting the story and author from the quote; one point for getting it from the excerpt. Specify which is which, or you'll automatically get one point instead of two. Open hard drive and archive, *don't* forget to snip the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler space when you post in the replies thread.

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Wednesday by 11:59 p.m.

More elaborate quiz instructions can be found here .

Please post your answers here .

Have fun! Good luck!

Amber smile

B

E

S

T

M

I

D

L

E

N

G

T

H

Quote #1
Where was Clark? Well, that was the question, wasn’t it? The question Perry and Jack and I had been wondering the afternoon before, asking the evening before, and so desperately trying not to think about all day.

Quote #2
“That’s not true,” Lois said softly. ”I started liking you right from the beginning. Then I started respecting you when tricked me after I stole your story. Then when we were working on the cyborg boxers story, I learned that I could trust you. It was in Smallville, when we had so much fun, and you almost died, that I realized how important you are to me. And when you almost left Metropolis during the heat wave, I realized that I loved you.”

Quote #3
“Me too,” I say as I enter into the heart of his living room and plop down on his couch. “I figured that you’re the type of man to be fully stocked with things to do. Board games or something of the sort. You probably have a closet full of them.”

Quote #4
Lois watched him, shaking her head, “I swear. That boy should come with a bell around his neck.”

Quote #5
Herb finished his musings, “It all started with a letter received on June 1, 2454 at TTEMPO headquarters addressed to me.”

Quote #6
“Now darling,” Perry said, “Don’t be so hasty. I have this friend in the publishing business. He’d never publish a woman’s writing, but if I sent him this and told him it was from a friend…” Perry paused. “I know — my friend Lewis Lane. It’s similar to your name but sounds male. What do you think, honey?”

Quote #7
“Clark, you can stop pretending that you aren’t mad. In fact, stop being so nice,” she responded, pacing with her hands constantly moving in different directions. “I know I hurt you last night when you mentioned taking our relationship to the next level, and I all but freaked out right in front of you.”

Quote #8
“Oh! Uncle Mike! There you are! Thank goodness. It’s awful! It’s HORRIBLE!”

Quote #9
I managed to find Lois a locket at an antique store. It is yellow gold with hearts and flowers engraved on the outside. The devil in me tells me to include a picture of my son on the inside, but I guess I’ll refrain and make her ask me for a picture when she finally comes to her senses.

Quote #10
“Don’t say it, Clark,” she warned. “I know I shouldn’t have ordered from that place. Again. But I thought the health department said they were cleared.”

Quote #11
“Oh, Clark,” she said with a mouthful of pity. “I bet this is where every family with a child comes to catch the winter flu. Look at all those whining children with dripping noses… no, even worse! Look where they end up! Santa looks more homeless than Ho, Ho, Ho. His wig is ratty. His beard is fake…”

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Excerpt #1
For one long, suspended moment that hung like an icicle on the verge of falling and shattering against cold ground, Lois and Clark regarded one another. And then, as if that moment had never existed, Lois let out a breath and moved toward him, and CK opened his arms to receive her. They met, collided, hung on to each other as if for dear life. Now, Lois’s shoulders could begin to shake. Now, Clark could squeeze his eyes shut and press his face into her hair. I think they would have stayed like that forever if the world hadn’t insisted on moving forward regardless of their wishes.

Excerpt #2
He was right. Something had changed. None of these feelings were new, but they were so overwhelmingly powerful. She knew that one of her strengths as a reporter was that she never let herself be driven by emotion. Others called her reckless, but she thought that others let their fear get in the way. Fear, and all the other emotions, had always been something that she’d ignored. But now, the feelings were so… wow! If other people felt things like this all the time, no wonder they did things differently than she did. For the first time in her adult life she had no second thoughts about acting on the tidal wave of emotion. “I think you’re right,” she conceded. ”But I don’t care. I feel great, and I have you, so everything is fine.”

Excerpt #3
I’m not an award winning investigative reporter because I whistle, you know. I know that Clark isn’t telling me the whole story. I wonder briefly if I should press the issue or not. I mean, if there is something I can do to help, shouldn’t I be doing it? On the other hand, it could be a completely private matter. Maybe he ate too many snacks and was sick during the night. I’ve seen the kind of food he keeps around his place. I ate less junk food as a five year old. So, for now, I decide to drop the subject.

Excerpt #4
She couldn’t believe that she was wrong about Clark. He had always been honest with her about everything else. He was genuine and open-hearted, completely opposite of every other man she’d had any relationship with. He was her best friend and the possibility of losing that friendship was too much for her to bear. He had to tell her. There was no other option.
The only way they would make it was if he was honest with her.

Excerpt #5
Herb was confident that Lois and Clark were still here; his careful reading of their history had told him that. There were, of course, differences in the time lines of the multiverses, which is why TTEMPO had started using Sidereal time as the standard or Universal time measure since it was based upon the movement of the planets and stars and not based upon some arbitrary event. As he walked the short distance that would take him to 348 Hyperion Ave., he mused about the reason for his being here. There had been some things about this universe’s Kent Family History which had struck him as somewhat … odd, hence his current trip.

Excerpt #6
Well, he did not so much ask as demand, even though it was phrased like a question. Lois scrambled, trying to think up some excuse not to have dinner with him. She didn’t think she could stomach his company long enough. Or hold down her food. Finally, Lois managed to blurt out, “Oh Lex, I’m sooo sorry but I have to wash my hair tonight. I really wish I could. Maybe another night.” Hoping that would appease him for now and frantically wondering how she would avoid another night.

Excerpt #7
Mayson entered the room directing her smile directly at Clark and showing just enough of her white teeth with her genuine smile. Lois glared in her direction. She wasn’t surprised that Mayson would directly turn her charm to Clark. In the beginning, before she started dating Clark she had been oblivious when women paid attention to him and his handsome features. Things changed now that Clark was hers; however, she could still feel the protectiveness that came over her, just like when she had a hot lead, and moved closer to him. As some called it, marking her territory.

Excerpt #8
Clark smiled to himself as the familiar cadence of Lois’ heartbeat reached his ears. He was getting a little concerned, especially after their conversation late last night. The problem with the restaurant reservations was another in a long line of delays and problems with getting married. They were both almost to the point of cancelling everything and eloping. Maybe do something crazy — like get married on a hilltop — just them and some broken down old justice of the peace presiding as they exchanged vows.

Excerpt #9
We had such a wonderful Christmas. Clark stayed late in Metropolis to go over to Lois’ house and take her her present. Don’t know what happened, but he was in a very good mood when he arrived. We stayed up and went to the midnight service at the church. There is nothing like a candle lit church set in a small farming community. Right out of Norman Rockwell! And, lucky me, I get to live it!

Excerpt #10
“It’s not what she’s going to say that interests me,” Lois told him. She rinsed her mouth and grabbed her toothbrush. “It’s how she says it. She gets this vacuous blond face and uses that little girl voice, but there’s always something a little extra in her eyes. Like she’s almost daring us to see through the act.” She paused and pointed at Clark with the toothbrush. “Luthor and her hubby Bill had nothing on her. I’m beginning to believe she’s the worst of the lot.” She began scrubbing her teeth, trying to get the taste out of her mouth.

Excerpt #11
“Lo-is,” Perry growled, knowing exactly what. “You didn’t, honey?”
The young man in question marched into the conference room decked out in red and white striped socks, bright green knickers, the cherry-apple red and green vest, elfin shoes that curled up at the toes, and a hat that had built-in pointed ears and jingle bells. “She did,” he announced.
The entire office burst into snickers.