Next Thread
Print Thread
#168232 11/03/12 02:26 AM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
I'm working on a story and one plot point is Lois and Clark going to the Metropolis Museum of Art to see an exhibition of artwork around Superman called (obviously) "The Art of the Man of Steel."

I'm not looking for the comic book art (although one or two pieces may show up as an easter egg.) I'm looking for things that are more like the Andy Warhol pop art or the Singapore Art Museum's Melting Superman (called "No on can Save Us Now."

Does anyone have any they might want to add or mention? I've been skimming through Deviant but considering there's thousands upon thousands you guys might have some favorites that might not be able to see.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#168233 11/03/12 02:52 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
How about the Superman statue in Metropolis, Illinois?

[Linked Image]

Or the one in the Cleveland airport?

[img]http://www.clevelandairport.com/Air...s/Superman.aspx?width=602&height=340[/img]

Joy,
Lynn

#168234 11/03/12 12:38 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Well, how about a steel statue of the Man of Steel? peep There was also one artist who made interesting black steel apparatuses - why not a Superman robot kind of thing? (The artist's name was Jean Tinguely ).

Someone here once posted a patchwork quilt (sp?) for a baby with a Superman theme - maybe you can use this in your story? (Unfortunatley, I can't find it any more. frown )

There's also a Superman Halloween pumpkin: link .

You could also try some humorous things - like a painting of Batman with the Superman-icon on his chest (replacing the bat).

Or how about a female version of his Super Suit?

A Super-Ken doll? :p

If you want Lois to go ballistic in the museum, add the cover of the New 52 Justice League #12 to the mix. devil I'm sure she'll just love that.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#168235 11/03/12 02:31 PM
Kerth
Kerth
How about something by Roy Lichtenstein ?

Or performance art installations such as e.g. a video of Laurie Anderson's Oh Superman on continuous loop.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#168236 11/04/12 01:44 AM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
I'm not really planning on having other supers not directly part of the series in the book so while I thought about using a Superman/WW page I ultimately nixed it because she wouldn't have the right context. As neither Batman nor WW were ever mentioned in the series (although Gotham was once) I decided it best to go with the "separate universe" theory when it came to that. That "O Superman" thing is really interesting and probably will make it's way into the story. I haven't found much on the avant garde/abstract side of things yet.

CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
#168237 11/04/12 11:31 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Actually, there is a second scene that strongly alludes to Batman, but it's only in the series, not in the script. (When Tim and Amber Lake show Lois and Clark their special collection, there's a very interesting black car that either of the Lakes claims to be "one of a kind", and that it's original owner is quite "batty" about it.)

That said, I just re-read something on Anne's Place, where one of Lois and Clark's kids is an artist. There is one picture described, and on annesplace, you can actually see a fan's rendition of it. Maybe you could borrow it for yor story? link

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#168238 11/04/12 03:16 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Christina:
As neither Batman nor WW were ever mentioned in the series (although Gotham was once) I decided it best to go with the "separate universe" theory when it came to that.
Actually, that's not exactly true. When Lois is in jail her cell mate calls a visiting Superman "The Caped Crusader" and he corrects her by saying "That's Batman", which is why you'll see references in Batman in my stories (especially Missing Lois).

Did Andy Warhol do artwork of Superman? Because that would be cool.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#168239 11/04/12 03:30 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
He did indeed, as I found when I did a quick search earlier today. You can see his work here and here .

Joy,
Lynn

#168240 11/04/12 05:41 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
He did indeed, as I found when I did a quick search earlier today. You can see his work here and here .
Thanks, Lynn. I like that second link better than the first. I was hoping something like the Campbell Soup Cans or Marilyn, only with the "S" Crest. Too bad.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#168241 11/05/12 02:08 AM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
[b]As neither Batman nor WW were ever mentioned in the series (although Gotham was once) I decided it best to go with the "separate universe" theory when it came to that.
Actually, that's not exactly true. When Lois is in jail her cell mate calls a visiting Superman "The Caped Crusader" and he corrects her by saying "That's Batman", which is why you'll see references in Batman in my stories (especially Missing Lois).

Did Andy Warhol do artwork of Superman? Because that would be cool. [/b]
You have a point. I'm just wary of inserting other universes/versions into a story that is never meant to include them as nothing more than passing references. I actually am extremely glad they never included Wonder Woman or any sort of Maxima into the story (but that's off topic). If they had included her I might consider adding one or two of those images with Superman and Wonder Woman would be present (I can't imagine it going over we'll with either Lois OR Clark as he usually doesn't often go for the metaphorical with art... At least that was what was implied by "the Prankster" and Wonder Woman around Lois? Let's just say there might be some tension there that I don't want in this fluffy scene.)

#168242 11/11/12 10:14 AM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
[b]As neither Batman nor WW were ever mentioned in the series (although Gotham was once) I decided it best to go with the "separate universe" theory when it came to that.
Actually, that's not exactly true. When Lois is in jail her cell mate calls a visiting Superman "The Caped Crusader" and he corrects her by saying "That's Batman", which is why you'll see references in Batman in my stories (especially Missing Lois).[/b]
Also in "Ultra Woman" when Nell and Lucille are discussing whether the laser worked on Superman, Nell says "He didn't blow the flame out, he used a tarp. I'm telling you, he's got all the super-powers of... Batman." The reference is opaque enough it is unclear whether batman is real in Nell's view, but she does mention him.

John Pack Lambert
#168243 11/11/12 10:47 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by John Lambert:
Also in "Ultra Woman" when Nell and Lucille are discussing whether the laser worked on Superman, Nell says "He didn't blow the flame out, he used a tarp. I'm telling you, he's got all the super-powers of... Batman." The reference is opaque enough it is unclear whether batman is real in Nell's view, but she does mention him.
Ooooh. I forgot about that one. thumbsup

VirginiaR.
---
#168244 03/12/14 09:36 AM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by Lara Joelle Kent:
Actually, there is a second scene that strongly alludes to Batman, but it's only in the series, not in the script. (When Tim and Amber Lake show Lois and Clark their special collection, there's a very interesting black car that either of the Lakes claims to be "one of a kind", and that it's original owner is quite "batty" about it.)

That said, I just re-read something on Anne's Place, where one of Lois and Clark's kids is an artist. There is one picture described, and on annesplace, you can actually see a fan's rendition of it. Maybe you could borrow it for yor story? link
That painting in that story is really fascinating! I'll have to get contact the author of the story so that I don't step on toes (then again, didn't I see a similar one towards the end of the Superman comic titled "Death Where is they sting"?)

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard