Next Thread
Print Thread
#168183 10/12/12 04:35 AM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
I've been writing one story for a few years about three different universes (Earth-One/Canon Clark, Earth-Two/Alt-Clark and Earth-3/Evil Clark) until I realized that it was similar to Long Strange Trip and more importantly seems to be moving in similar yet different direction from her sequel currently being written/posted. I'm not sure what I should do with it now. Should I sit on it? Just ignore her story and post my own? etc?

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Absolutely not! This question has been coming up since the dawn of fanfic and I've always been of the same opinion - it won't be the same story because it's not the same author tackling the subject matter. All kinds of variations will sneak in because you are two different people.

I recall when I was in the middle of writing one of mine - can't even remember which it was now - I gave it over halfway to Erin Klingler to beta. And we were both amused and astonished at how many points of similarity there were in my story and an as yet unpublished story on her HD. And I mean right down to the fine detail. Yet I'd never seen her story until then. Nor she mine.

Sometimes GMTA is just a cosmic force you can't avoid. laugh

So...have at it! smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
Yeah, someone once bounced an idea for a story off me. I don't remember what it was about, but I know I asked for many details and clarifications, and when the other person was done, I had to tell her that I had just read exactly this story minus *one* tiny detail a couple of weeks before. She wasn't too happy with that. huh

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by Lara Joelle Kent:
Yeah, someone once bounced an idea for a story off me. I don't remember what it was about, but I know I asked for many details and clarifications, and when the other person was done, I had to tell her that I had just read exactly this story minus *one* tiny detail a couple of weeks before. She wasn't too happy with that. huh
That's kind of been my greatest fear, that someone would think I was "stealing" their idea. And to be fair, originally I had read "Long Strange Trip" and it had been a partial inspiration for the story. I'm also trying to figure out how much credit I should give her story considering this.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I'm with Lab Rat , there are only so many ideas. What makes each story unique is the author's personal spin. Three people can take the same plot line and come up with three very different stories. In fact, to me, it's kinda fun to compare the similarities and differences in those stories. If I was writing a story and became aware of a similar one, I'd either continue writing my own without reading the other, or read the other and be prepared to make minor changes, if necessary.

Joan

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I agree--write away. There are a lot of episode rewrites here. By their nature they all start from the same place and contain a lot of the same material but something in each author sees a missing piece to be added that only they can add.

Shallowford
Kerth
Kerth
It might be an interesting exercise to offer the same idea (or ideas, perhaps similar to the three prompts used for ficathon stories) to everyone and compare the stories that are written.

Corrina.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
That's a great idea. I like that.

Joan

Originally posted by Female Hawk:
It might be an interesting exercise to offer the same idea (or ideas, perhaps similar to the three prompts used for ficathon stories) to everyone and compare the stories that are written.

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Even without prompts - look at how many rewrites to TOGOM there are. dance

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I had a thought when I was responding to this--has anyone ever tried an episode rewrite containing none of the dialog from the episode? Kind of an extreme in-between and extra scenes story without actually stating which episode.

Shallowford
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
We had such a challenge way back IIRC. Called Guess the Author. Everyone was given the same prompt and asked to write a story around it and then everyone had to guess who wrote what. I'm on the Nexus now so can't link but I'll try finding it later if no one else does.

Course that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a fun idea to revisit. <g>

LabRat :-)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
You know, I'd love to do another "Guess the author" ficathon... The last one has been how many years ago?

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
When I was finishing up on Volume 3 of Matchmaker and it was in beta I had been communicating with Virginia and I beacme aware of some, what appeared to me to be, significant similarities and I sent her a note.

We communicated and found that there were significant differences.

If you read her Wrong Clark and my Matchmaker series starting with VOlume 3 you will see that my fears were unfounded.

Communication was the key.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Amazingly, the original GTA was all the way back in 2004. GTA 2004

It was revived at least once in 2008. Well nigh time for a revival, I'd say.

LabRat :-)

The Musketeers
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Well 2004, 2008, 2012 sounds like it is time for a revival.

John Pack Lambert
Kerth
Kerth
Yeah, it does. So, who's going to volunteer to write? Oh, wait, it's supposed to be a surprise? Oh.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard