Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hi — I'm in the middle of writing a story, and I was wondering if anyone ever established what part of Metropolis Lois and Clark's townhouse was in? Which borough, neighborhood, etc. It's obviously not critical, but I like to have details in my story, to add flavor.

Thanks,
Debbie

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi, Debbie. There's a great map here of the city, but no indication where Lois and Clark might live.

Here is some info on Metropolis as a whole.

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's the best I could come up with.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Have you checked out the Geography of LnC for the list of boroughs? I just glanced at it, but it didn't see listed where in the city they lived. I don't remember them mentioning anything directly, but it's been a while since I watched S4. I would check out "Brutal Youth" to see if they mention anything, or possibly "Ghosts" with the real estate scam, for any mention of which area of the city Hyperion Ave. is located.

My assumption is that it was further away from the DP than Clinton and Carter Ave. apartments, because they seemed to walk to work when they were single and drove once they were married. Hope that helps.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Good point, Virginia! I hadn't thought of the walking vs driving.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thanks, all. I'd been thinking of watching "Brutal Youth" again, but I'd forgotten about "Ghosts."

It's always hard doing this kind of thing, because the writers for the show don't worry about details at this level. Like the fact that it's doubtful either Lois or Clark could afford to live anywhere near the Daily Planet on a reporter's salary. wink

Top Banana
Top Banana
When I put together the Geography of L&C I couldn't discern any indication of where Hyperion would have been aside from architecture that would (probably) date the neighborhood to mid to late 1800's.

But knowing the writers were using Manhattan as the template for New Troy, where in Manhattan or the surrounding boroughs would you find houses like that in an area that up-and-coming young professionals were being attracted to at the time?

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Kerth
Kerth
I'd suggest it was based on a brownstone on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I'd suggest it was based on a brownstone on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.
Yes, that's what I was thinking.

DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
So, at my usual glacial pace… I read the scripts for both episodes, and in "Brutal Youth" Clark says one of the benefits of the townhouse is that it's "in the city." That could either mean "in one of the boroughs of Metropolis" or "on New Troy Island," similar to the way New Yorkers sometimes refer to Manhattan as "the city."

Somehow I get the impression Clark meant on New Troy Island, but I couldn't explain why.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Probably because if Metropolis is NYC, than being within one of the boroughs does not really put you very close to the central business district.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I was looking through my files today and remembered this thread when I found this picture. I don't remember what site I saved it from, because I've had it for a long time. This is the comics Metropolis, though, so Lois and Clark's address is 1938, Sullivan.

[Linked Image]

3 - 1938 SULLIVAN
Owned by Wayne Enterprises, Lois and Clark's apartment building is one of the city's oldest buildings.

In common with the series, it's an old building. Maybe it won't be useful for your story, but it's a bit of trivia. wink

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've seen that picture before. I believe it's from the comics canon, possibly from "Superman: The Ultimate Guide to the Man of Steel" by Scott Beatty.

It's always possbile that the house Lois and Clark bought in S4 was only a first home, and they moved to one on Sullivan years later. wink Thanks for sharing!

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I find it interesting that even in comics it is "Lois and Clark's apartment" and not the other way around, they seem to want us to hear the echos of the show.

Well, if I remember correctly the Hyperion Avenue home only has two bedrooms, so if their first child is a boy and second one is a girl they will probably have to find a new home. Well, at least I think they ever mention only one guest room, come to think of it they never go much into the details of the home beyond it having the secret chamber.

John Pack Lambert
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by John Lambert:
Well, if I remember correctly the Hyperion Avenue home only has two bedrooms, so if their first child is a boy and second one is a girl they will probably have to find a new home. Well, at least I think they ever mention only one guest room, come to think of it they never go much into the details of the home beyond it having the secret chamber.
In Family Hour both the Lanes and Kents stayed over and I assumed that mean two separate guest rooms or at least 3 bedrooms.

VirginiaR.
---
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Well then, that means that Lois and Clark could probably stay in the home until they had at least 4 kids. And it may have space to add attic apartments, so maybe it is unlikely they would ever move unless they have a truly large number of children.

John Pack Lambert

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard