Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Has any thought been given to putting author's stories that are in series in series order on the archive? Or at least in date order by author?

This would be a huge benefit to new comers and old hands alike to be able to read the author's stories in date order or even better in series order. Then the joys of reading Nan's various series, or Dandello's, or ShayneT's or Bobbart's or (fill in the blank) would be even more so.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Amen. Great idea. I would love to see this.

I see a couple of items that would need to be worked out in advance or it could be tough.

If the stories aren't explicitly ordered I think each author would have to give a preferred display order. A case in point: Broccoli Dancing by Irene Dutch is a sequel vignette to Firestorm but it is also included as a scene within one of the other stories. Would reading them out of order confuse things or spoil the story?

There are also a few collaborative series where stories are listed under both author's names that might be a problem. (i.e. SwapMeet Metropolis by Margaret Brignell and SwapMeet Burbank by Debby Stark)

*Crosslinks under both authors would be good for the person reading but might be a pain to build and manage.
*Adding a "by series" dropdown might be an option but could also be a pain.

Shallowford
Merriwether
Merriwether
Nan's stories do have a list which is linked on the archive, and can be found here . (And I'm constantly amazed the Geocities site still works!) But it would help for other series. Either a similar page, a note next to it, or maybe a rollover note.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Absolutely. My initial thought though is that unless there's some nice magic piece of tech that makes it easy to do, it would be an enormous amount of work to tackle retrospectively on hundreds of stories.

But I'll pass it by Lauren anyway. She has a habit of coming up with magic tech that makes things I assume will be difficult easy as pie. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally posted by LabRat:
Absolutely. My initial thought though is that unless there's some nice magic piece of tech that makes it easy to do, it would be an enormous amount of work to tackle retrospectively on hundreds of stories.

LabRat smile
I agree, I was thinking that the authors, if reachable, could at least supply a listing of their stories in order. That would solve a goodly portion of work.

James

Kerth
Kerth
Maybe have a "series" file for each author as a link after their name, but only post such a link if there are stories in a sequence.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Top Banana
Top Banana
I am working on a web list of my stuff - but my desktop is in the guest room and I have guests this week. So next week.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Kerth
Kerth
Mine is pretty simple - I haven't posted any series at all, with the exception of the two "Owls over Metropolis" drabbles. It'd probably be easier to combine the two stories in one file than to set up a series page for it!

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
LabRat, thank you as always for your support. smile

Those of us converting stories to epub have tackled this a little over on the epub-by-author wiki page , where we've listed stories in a series by the series name first, followed by the story name. For example...

Irene's Storm series
Storm Series 1 - Firestorm
Storm Series 2 - Starfire and Sunstorm
etc.

and Carol Malo's Recognition series
Recognition 1: Truth
Recognition 2: Justice
etc.

... which is different from how they're listed on the archive.

We could definitely change how we identify stories on the larger archive, in this fashion, but we would need the approval from authors, I think. And the "definitive" name of the series.

Lauren

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
A couple of my stories: Superman, What? (set in my Missing Lois universe), and The Superman Effect (an extra vignette of my Wrong Trilogy) while set in universes of some other stories also work as stand-alone stories.

Green-Eyed Monster precedes Nightfall Honeymoon (currently clogging up Labby's GE mailbox.)

Book 1:Another Dimension, Another Time, Another Lois (also about to be returned from GE to Labby) precedes Book 2:Wrong Place, Wrong Time, Wrong Clark (WIP) of my Wrong Trilogy. (I haven't come up with a title for Book 3, yet.) But I've already warned Labby of that they are part of a series.

While Lois Rules! - A Story goes hand-in-hand with Lois Lane - A Handbook I don't think they count as a series. (Although, I do have a sequel for Lois Rules! - A Story in my plot bunny slush pile.)

Just a Little Too Far and Just a Little Too Much are not a series, but they both start out the same, but end differently.

Maybe you could ask writers to note when submitting stories to the Archive (in the comments/notes section) or add a check-box to the submission form, should the story be part of a series or a sequel to an already submitted story. (My guess is that sometimes when the first story is submitted to Labby, the writer doesn't know that he/she will write another story in that universe or a sequel.) I try to make such a note when submitting stories to the Archive.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Out of mine, only two are related to each other.

Clarkus Maximus comes first.

Soul Desire is a sequel and is designated as such in the description.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
My Looking In and From the Outside tell the same story from two different points of view. Although they can be read in either order, I would suggest reading "Looking In" first.

I have reached an impasse with another story of mine, tentatively entitled, "The Diagnosis." It is intended to be a prequel to "Echolalia." The latter should be read first, though. I bring this up to make sure such a situation is considered: That there might be cases where story A takes place chronologically before story B but, for whatever reason, should be read after it.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've just been updating the Archive's Fanfic Database and it occurs to me that, in the meantime, you should be able to work out the series order of many of the stories by using that.

The stories are grouped by author and then a couple of columns along by date uploaded, which should give you a clue in many cases. And in some cases - Anti-K's I Sense series for example - the order of the series is actually right there in the story title column.

Not perfect, but a little bit of a help, perhaps, until we work out if it's possible to get the order into the Archive proper.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally posted by LabRat:
I've just been updating the Archive's Fanfic Database and it occurs to me that, in the meantime, you should be able to work out the series order of many of the stories by using that.

The stories are grouped by author and then a couple of columns along by date uploaded, which should give you a clue in many cases. And in some cases - Anti-K's I Sense series for example - the order of the series is actually right there in the story title column.

Not perfect, but a little bit of a help, perhaps, until we work out if it's possible to get the order into the Archive proper.

LabRat smile
brilliant I keep forgetting that thing.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Um What about folks like me who have a loose series of stories?

Stranger in our Midst will have at least two stories which will take place during the time last three months that Stranger occurs.

Oh well, I should not worry about it until all three stories are in the archives.

Just a thought.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard