Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
We all know that Clark has a gift for languages, but does anyone remember if Lois is ever mentioned being able to speak a foreign language?

I vaguely remember her trying to speak to someone in another language and failing badly until Clark and his super tongue comes to translate for her, but that might have been from a fanfic.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
I don't recall her having any particular language skills (although I would bet she knows a wide variety of swear words). Her time as a foreign exchange student was spent in a country that speaks English (Ireland) and I highly doubt she bothered to learn Gaelic. She may have picked up a word or two if it suits your purposes.

If you need her to be able to speak something, though, I don't think it would be too difficult. She might not be fluent enough to pass for a native, but it's conceivable that she took a foreign language in either high school or college.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Columnist
Columnist
I know in Canada is mandatory to take French (our countries official second language) from -I think - 3rd grade all the way up to 9th grade. After that you have the option to continue taking it if you want to.

Doesn't the USA have something similar for Spanish? I always assumed they did, but that could just be because of tv shows lol. It wouldn't be shocking if she spoke some Spanish if that's the case.

Lois did visit the Congo. She may have picked up some French, which is widely spoken there. I think Swahili is also spoken in the Congo, along with a few others.

.talk nerdy to me.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Sue. I was just wondering if anyone recalled it mentioned or shown that she knew a language well enough to try to speak it. I'll probably go the high school / college route.

Originally posted by MrsLuthor:
I know in Canada is mandatory to take French (our countries official second language) from -I think - 3rd grade all the way up to 9th grade. After that you have the option to continue taking it if you want to.

Doesn't the USA have something similar for Spanish? I always assumed they did, but that could just be because of tv shows lol. It wouldn't be shocking if she spoke some Spanish if that's the case.
I wish! I have my daughter in a dual-language immersion program that teaches kids from Kindergarten -grade 6 in both English and Spanish. Reading & Math in English; Social Studies and Science (and next year - reading) in Spanish. But this is NOT the norm here. Most classes in the states are still English only, and foreign languages are not taught until high school. (See, just another reason why Canadians are more well liked around in the world than Americans. wink )

Lois did visit the Congo. She may have picked up some French, which is widely spoken there. I think Swahili is also spoken in the Congo, along with a few others.
I know, that's why that plot never made sense to me. Why would Lois try to cover a story in a country where she didn't know the language? It could have been her naiviety in thinking that she could cover any story, any where, because English is spoken (taught and therefore, spoken) everywhere in the world :rolleyes: (I've traveled enough to know that usually ISN'T the case, but that many not-well-traveled Americans do assume that.) Lois was young at the time of the assignment and I could see it as a learning experience for her, teaching her that there were limits to her abilities as a journalist (not that she would ever admit that outloud). Either that or she thought her high school French would be passible. My guess is that she probably hired a translator while in the Congo, or went with a more experienced correspondant -- perhaps Claude.

Oops. Went on another Lois-Like ramble. Sorry. blush

It's not a major plot point in my story (and it's not about the Congo!), just wanted to get my facts straight. Thanks for the info.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Mrs. Luthor - No, it isn't mandatory to take Spanish here in the US.

I'm a child of '82 and never took a foreign language before 9th grade. My elementary school did teach Latin, but the teacher retired the year before I would have started.

In high school, I had to take Latin as an Honor's Student and choose a modern language - Spanish, Italian, or French (I chose French). In college, I had my choice of languages (and again took French).

However, I can see Lois choosing to take a foreign language in school, being the overachiever she was. She loves a challenge, and maybe she had dreams of working for a paper in Paris before landing an internship/position at the Planet. laugh Just as an example.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
However, I can see Lois choosing to take a foreign language in school, being the overachiever she was. She loves a challenge, and maybe she had dreams of working for a paper in Paris before landing an internship/position at the Planet. laugh Just as an example.
Except that she did her year (summer?) abroad in Ireland. If she had studied a foreign language and wanted to become proficient in it, I could see her spending her time abroad in a country that spoke that language. I also could see her starting a foreign language in high school (or maybe a course during the summer), realizing that she wasn't going to ace the course because she didn't have a talent in it, and never taking another class in it to keep her GPA up. More the avoiding what she doesn't do well, so others <<cough>> her father <<cough>> would never see her do poorly at something.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
[b] However, I can see Lois choosing to take a foreign language in school, being the overachiever she was. She loves a challenge, and maybe she had dreams of working for a paper in Paris before landing an internship/position at the Planet. laugh Just as an example.
Except that she did her year (summer?) abroad in Ireland. If she had studied a foreign language and wanted to become proficient in it, I could see her spending her time abroad in a country that spoke that language. I also could see her starting a foreign language in high school (or maybe a course during the summer), realizing that she wasn't going to ace the course because she didn't have a talent in it, and never taking another class in it to keep her GPA up. More the avoiding what she doesn't do well, so others <<cough>> her father <<cough>> would never see her do poorly at something. [/b]
Very true. Except, if the school require X years/credits in language, she would be forced to do it. So maybe she started with one language, like French (to keep the example the same) and was able to swap out regular courses for a study abroad program. I don't know if that's possible, but perhaps. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
Originally posted by MrsLuthor:

Doesn't the USA have something similar for Spanish?
The languages offered at schools vary from grade level to grade level and from area to area and school to school. My high school offered Spanish, French, Russian, and German. (It only offers Spanish now.) The local community college offers English, French, German, Chinese, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Foreign language study is not mandatory in U.S. schools, but Lois has a college degree, and most colleges require two years of foreign language study in high school and either a course in college or a competency test to get out of the college course. That means that at some point Lois had at least some knowledge of a foreign language. Given the time she was in school, it was probably Spanish, French, or German. I'm sure it's pretty rusty by now if she hasn't intentionally kept up with it.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by HappyGirl:
Foreign language study is not mandatory in U.S. schools, but Lois has a college degree, and most colleges require two years of foreign language study in high school and either a course in college or a competency test to get out of the college course. That means that at some point Lois had at least some knowledge of a foreign language. Given the time she was in school, it was probably Spanish, French, or German. I'm sure it's pretty rusty by now if she hasn't intentionally kept up with it.
Really? I never heard of that. My college didn't require it.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
HappyGirl makes a good point. I had to either do two semesters of college language, or pass the AP exam in high school to get the credit. (That was going into college in 2000.)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
My college required two years also. They also accepted ALS (American Sign Language) as a second language.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Many colleges I applied to required 2-3 years of a foreign language. The high schools I went to offered Spanish, French, or Latin.

My earlier schools were a bit quirky with foreign languages. In 2nd grade, we had a period where they taught us some basic Spanish. The gifted classes offered French after school. (A bit of a bust, they taught the same thing each of the 3 years I took it). A middle school in another state had languages in 8th grade that taught 9 weeks each of Spanish, German, and French. The other 9 weeks was a "cultures" class.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The college I went to required you to take some courses in three of four broad areas. So three of hard sciences, soft sciences, humanities, language. Having barely made it through 2 years of Spanish in high school I didn't do languages. In high school language was college prep required and IIRC the choices were French, Spanish, and Italian. Wished they had German since I did learn some of that when I was 3-5 years old and my dad was stationed in Germany for 3 years.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I can see Sam making Lois take Latin in high school since he wanted her to go into medicine like him.

Kerth
Kerth
Yes, and since some odd people all over the world still tend to take Latin, she might be able to converse some basic things in that language. (Btw, I am one of those odd people.) Although modern expressions like purse or toilet or cab are most definitely out. Oh, imagine the fun with Lois trying to get something across in Latin (and mixing up all the suffixes Latin is so famous for)!

What surprises me, though, is that the US don't make at least one foreign language mandatory. Here in Germany, when I went to school, people had to take at least one foreign language, two for the best possible kind of school leaving certificate (Abitur). The first foreign language was taught from 5th grade to 10th (at least), and a second was offered - in my school mandatory - in 7th grade. We could take a third foreign language in 9th grade and a 4th in 11th.

The first foreign language (in my part of Germany) is usually English, followed by French or Latin.

By now, children have to take their first foreign language (at least 90% English) at 1st or 3rd grade (depending on the state). Here, it's the second half of 1st grade by now. Second foreign language starts in 6th grade now, but I'm not sure if it's mandatory in all schools. The third foreign language is offered in 8th grade, and the 4th in 10th or 11th. (Not sure about that.) Plus, in order to graduate, you have to graduate in English, German and Maths now. (Plus some other subject, probably of your choice.)

Personally, I had to take English from 5th grade, could choose between Latin and French in 7th grade (I took Latin), and there was another option to start French in 9th grade (which I did) and Spanish in 11th grade (which I didn't).

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I can't find the proving picture right now, but in one episode, early on in season 1 (I think) Lois reads a german newspaper. So she must know enough German to read an article. wink

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by bakasi:
I can't find the proving picture right now, but in one episode, early on in season 1 (I think) Lois reads a german newspaper. So she must know enough German to read an article. wink
I don't remember that! It must have been article on Superman. laugh Didn't she picked up a French paper (maybe it was German) at the news-stand during "Vatman"? (or while she was hiding from Linda King in "The Rival"), but I thought she was only hiding or looking at the photo of Superman. Does anyone remember this?

VirginiaR.
---
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Lara Joelle Kent:
What surprises me, though, is that the US don't make at least one foreign language mandatory. Here in Germany, when I went to school, people had to take at least one foreign language, two for the best possible kind of school leaving certificate (Abitur). The first foreign language was taught from 5th grade to 10th (at least), and a second was offered - in my school mandatory - in 7th grade. We could take a third foreign language in 9th grade and a 4th in 11th.
There's several reasons I think for this. I think primarily (pride aside- for some reason Americans tend to believe that we don't need to learn any other language because everyone else learns English :rolleyes: ) it's because we teach language all wrong in our schools. Now my high school did require language, but only a year- and in a year, you barely learn how to say basic phrases! I took two and half years of French in high school (because most colleges require at least 2 years), and it's been almost four years since the last of my French, but I can't speak or understand it fluently! (And I've always been quick to pick up languages- we just don't get exposed to foreign languages enough for it to stick.) It's a flaw in the system (one of many, unfortunately).

I can't find the proving picture right now, but in one episode, early on in season 1 (I think) Lois reads a german newspaper. So she must know enough German to read an article.
Don't remember. I think I do remember her picking up something in French (again, French student here). So she probably did pick one up- I don't know if that means she can read it or not, though. huh Time to go a-hunting.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
In much of the US if you drive for a day in a straight line you are either still in a English speaking area or you've drowned. Learning other languages is not as important.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard